8"woof with 3" xo---is this a tree i should not be barking up? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th August 2013, 04:14 PM   #1
osd1 is offline osd1  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default 8"woof with 3" xo---is this a tree i should not be barking up?

hey now

i started a new thread based on an idea i got from a member vix on m fostex thread.

a 8" woofer with a 3" or 4" fullranger sealed in its own box.

i've always wanted to try this woofer because i have had great luck with visaton in the past:
Visaton W200S-8 8" Woofer with Treated Paper Cone 8 Ohm 292-572

if i used that woofer in a ported box or small mltl with a properly designed xo going to a fullrange (vix said something like a 1st order 300-400hz) in its own sealed box, would that work? if its a matter of experimenting with a 1st order xo, that i can do. changing a cap to see if something sounds better isnt that big of a deal. but anything more complicated than that is gonna be a pain because as i always say im no audio engineer.

the visaton b80 looks like such a good little 3" fullranger to accompany that particular woofer. plus skys the limit with lots of offerings from fostex, mark audio and many others for a 3" or 4" full ranger
Old 8th August 2013, 04:16 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Great idea, gaining popularity by the day.
Old 8th August 2013, 04:31 PM   #3
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

check out the Tysen thread of a few years back (Fostex FF85K & CSS SDX7) but the same architecture could apply to a wide range of candidates.

active bi-amping can simplify things considerably, and with the wide availability of media players with reasonable XO functions, particularly easy with computer based music systems
Old 8th August 2013, 04:40 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
check out the Tysen thread of a few years back (Fostex FF85K & CSS SDX7) but the same architecture could apply to a wide range of candidates.

active bi-amping can simplify things considerably, and with the wide availability of media players with reasonable XO functions, particularly easy with computer based music systems
im trying to stay away from computers. id get a behringer dcx2496 for an active xo
Old 8th August 2013, 04:49 PM   #5
Vix is offline Vix  Yugoslavia
diyAudio Member

Hi! The idea is not mine, all credit goes to Dave (planet 10). Search for F.A.S.T. on this forum, you will find some good examples. So, I proposed that because I tried something similar and was pleasantly surprised. Some years ago I had built ML TL with Fostex Fe206e. Not bad, but had to apply a lot of EQ, also the top end of 206 never really pleased me. ML-TL have the advantage of low footprint (can be skinny and tall, but not too tall) and can go quite low. While it is not an optimal box for 206 you could find the right woofer for it. On the other hand , lately I have become to like the mid and top of some 3-4" fullragers, (oh,but they don't do any bass). Then, I stumbled upon Dave's idea of FAST and...click! It works, but you have to find the right combination. Perhaps others will give you better info, but I'd say that it's the way to go
Old 8th August 2013, 05:33 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vix View Post
Hi! The idea is not mine, all credit goes to Dave (planet 10). Search for F.A.S.T. on this forum, you will find some good examples. So, I proposed that because I tried something similar and was pleasantly surprised. Some years ago I had built ML TL with Fostex Fe206e. Not bad, but had to apply a lot of EQ, also the top end of 206 never really pleased me. ML-TL have the advantage of low footprint (can be skinny and tall, but not too tall) and can go quite low. While it is not an optimal box for 206 you could find the right woofer for it. On the other hand , lately I have become to like the mid and top of some 3-4" fullragers, (oh,but they don't do any bass). Then, I stumbled upon Dave's idea of FAST and...click! It works, but you have to find the right combination. Perhaps others will give you better info, but I'd say that it's the way to go
tried doing a search, couldnt find anything
Old 8th August 2013, 06:08 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

DCX2496 needs lots of work on the analog sections before being usable in any hifi a human wants to listen to. Excellent flexinility filter-wise thou. We try to sticj to simple PLLXOs or 1st order series (latter more expensive and harder to get right).

FAST is not my idea, but we have been promoting the idea as it is an excellent one.

At the upcoming diyFEST we will have 3 new FASTs. An MTM standmount with FF85 and Silver Flute W14, FF85 with 4 Peerless 830870, and Alpair 7.3 with 2 SDX7. + 2 miniOnken with woofTs that have been around for awhile.

Quote:
tried doing a search, couldnt find anything
Really? Some of the results from a quick search:

A thread for Tysen and variations on FAST
New MJK Baffle Article
Tysen Variation FE167E with CSS SDX7
Cheap Version of the famous Tysen speaker.
FAST Speaker Design
10" PA driver for FAST - possible?
My odd little FAST with chr-70.3 build
Baffle step correction in a FAST 2way
FAST system with H Frame subwoofer
An in-wall FAST that really rocks
A12p in a two way or FAST - opinions asked
Acoustical Cross-Over FAST on a Budget
FAST woofer choice for Alpair 7.3
Cross Over design and Woofer choices for FAST
Advice for FAST with alpair 7
maybe im crazy but...3" FAST system?
CSS EL70 LX521 FAST (or something like that)
Tangband w3-871sc and Dayton DC200-8 in a FAST System
FAST-ish enclosure help.
A fast way to build FAST
Alpair 6p FAST
FAST build with an Alpair 7.3 and a 12" Peavy Pro 12 woofer
FAST build with Alpair 7.3 and Seas L26ROY and Hypex AS2.100
Bi amped FAST design, active crossover
Quick 'n fast- F.A.S.T
FAST with Feastrex D9NF and Fertin 38EX
5-1/2", 6-1/2" or 7" woofer for FAST desktop?
I need help chosing fullrange driver for FAST ...
FAST Build: Alpair 7.3 - Seas L26ROY
Using "Genius" stock fullrange as part of FAST
HiVi B3N Open Baffle w/ Woofer FAST Design
FAST woofer rec for 6 liter enclosure
FAST subs under MA drivers
FAST with Alpair 7.3, Trio8 and MiniDSP.
Tang Band W8-1808 in a bi-amped FAST
BLH or FAST - what would you do ?
Building MA Woofer #6 (AKA EL166) ML-TL FAST
BIG two way FAST
FAST: Aperiodic or Folded TQWT
Alpair 7 FAST Prototype
Adding a woofer into a Pensil enclosure? FAST project with active crossovers
Alpair 7.3 FAST help needed!
Markaudio fullrange + Woofer 6 (FAST)
These drivers suited to MJK style 'Fast' - esque 2way?
I have two 3" FR drivers for use in FAST - which should I use
looking for effecient 4" driver for FAST system
Woofer to use in a FAST with Alpair 5 (desktop system)
Driver/enclosure to complement Alpair 10.2 FR Pensil in a FAST system?
FAST with Alpairs
Mark Audio CHR-70 in my FAST.....
OB woofer (FAST) for tube amps

dave
Old 8th August 2013, 06:56 PM   #8
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osd1 View Post
im trying to stay away from computers. id get a behringer dcx2496 for an active xo

Well, the DSP processor inside that box is a computer of sorts, and frankly not the best sounding example of this class, but that's another pizzing contest

If you don't need all the flexibility of such a device, then a very cheap and simple passive line level XO can work like a charm. Their disadvantages are lack of adjustability on the fly, need to include the input impedance of amplifiers driving each speaker in the calculus, and no flashing lights or other bells and whistles.
Old 8th August 2013, 07:02 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Well, the DSP processor inside that box is a computer of sorts, and frankly not the best sounding example of this class, but that's another pizzing contest

If you don't need all the flexibility of such a device, then a very cheap and simple passive line level XO can work like a charm. Their disadvantages are lack of adjustability on the fly, need to include the input impedance of amplifiers driving each speaker in the calculus, and no flashing lights or other bells and whistles.
i think im just gonna make the tysen's. unless i can find another kit thats around the same size.
Old 8th August 2013, 07:07 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by osd1 View Post
i think im just gonna make the tysen's. unless i can find another kit thats around the same size.
Neither of the drivers in Tysen are readily available. The newer FF85 is, we feel, an upgrade, a sub for the SDX7 is harder, but there is lots of choice to pour thru.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!