New PHY-HP E17 LB 15 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th August 2013, 12:16 PM   #1
Elias is offline Elias  Finland
diyAudio Member

Question New PHY-HP E17 LB 15

Looks like the long waited 6" PHY-HP ferrite driver is available

e17lb15

Not as beautiful as other PHY-HP drivers, but a lot cheaper. This could be interesting, but the specs are sparse.

Who has tried these ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg e17b.jpeg (48.4 KB, 342 views)
File Type: jpeg e172a.jpeg (15.8 KB, 338 views)
Old 7th August 2013, 12:19 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

From the PHY-HP site, there is this DIY speaker

Click the image to open in full size.

From the design of the round oven, I would say this is Scandinavian based
Old 16th August 2013, 05:02 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I think we were waiting for a reasonably priced ferite version of the 12", with or without tweeter...........

12" are around 2k each (U.S. dollars) I think.
Old 17th August 2013, 10:24 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

here is links to them on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvf7rDcNfVU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eGGi12W6AU

phy website.
index

those 6" seem to be $400 each (U.S. dollars) and in stock.
Rereading Bernard's review on 6moons, he really went back to the original ways of making paper cone drivers.
6moons industryfeatures: Bernard Salabert of PHY-HP

"Music, on average, is a mix of 30% sinusoid and 70% very steep short signals (impulses, transients and such). If a sinusoidal wave is easily reproduced, transient spikes are far more difficult to render properly. For that the mobile equipment (cone + spider + leads + voice coil) should have an infinite slew rate i.e. zero mass. That's impossible of course but you must come as close as possible to 0. You need a very light cone that is rigid enough and features progressive fracturization in an hyperbolic-exponential profile. Only paper with long and short fibers can accomplish that, plush a small-diameter voice coil where one layer is inside and one outside of the former to transmit the movements of the coil with the fewest possible losses (I use impregnated vellum). It is simply in respect to basic PHYsical laws that I made these choices, not to return to the roots per se. But surely it is not a random coincidence that people from the 30s to 70s made drivers like this. They were not stupid as it seems a lot of people today like to believe. These physical laws haven't changed. Obeying them once again not only makes for better drive units, it is also a very nice way to keep alive the knowledge about these technical matters."

Norman
Old 17th August 2013, 11:11 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman bates View Post
I think we were waiting for a reasonably priced ferite version of the 12", with or without tweeter...........

12" are around 2k each (U.S. dollars) I think.

I also wish they would make a 12" version using the bronze basket but with ferrite magnet. Removing AlNiCo would lower the price. 1375 for one driver is too much for 'normal' people...

It's good to have dreams Life goes on
Old 11th September 2013, 10:37 AM   #6
graaf is offline graaf  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman bates View Post

6moons industryfeatures: Bernard Salabert of PHY-HP

"Music, on average, is a mix of 30% sinusoid and 70% very steep short signals (impulses, transients and such). If a sinusoidal wave is easily reproduced, transient spikes are far more difficult to render properly. For that the mobile equipment (cone + spider + leads + voice coil) should have an infinite slew rate i.e. zero mass. That's impossible of course but you must come as close as possible to 0. You need a very light cone that is rigid enough and features progressive fracturization in an hyperbolic-exponential profile. Only paper with long and short fibers can accomplish that, plush a small-diameter voice coil where one layer is inside and one outside of the former to transmit the movements of the coil with the fewest possible losses (I use impregnated vellum). It is simply in respect to basic PHYsical laws that I made these choices"
not really only
basic physical laws say that there are much better ways to come as close as possible to 0:

200 x 2" drivers What to do?

Hide this!Advertise here!