full range speakers and poor recordings

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey now.

i've had the audio nirvana super 10s in a monitor enclosure as well as a 5.6. i've also had those same super 10s and standard 8s in an ambiance enclosure. i'm considering going back to AN but am also interested in mark audio this time around.

my question to you is this: for someone who has a lot of shitty recordings (hardcore, death metal, industrial music with lots of distortion), but also listens to classical and jazz, are there any full range drivers that do ok with poor recordings?

hey now.

i've had the audio nirvana super 10s in a monitor enclosure as well as a 5.6. i've also had those same super 10s and standard 8s in an ambiance enclosure. i'm considering going back to AN but am also interested in mark audio this time around.

my question to you is this: for someone who has a lot of shitty recordings (hardcore, death metal, industrial music with lots of distortion), but also listens to classical and jazz, are there any full range drivers that do ok with poor recordings?

a couple of thoughts;

AN and MA drivers are considerably different in so many respects, that if you're very familiar with the former, the latter could take some getting used to.

Exactly what do you mean by "do OK"? - any decent or even tolerably idiosyncratic speaker system will do nothing to mitigate for crappy performances / recordings - even those intentionally so - although for aficionados of such that might part of be their "charm"?

Of all the MA drivers, the only model that might be able to deliver what I think you're looking for would be the A12P in a Pensil or other type of MLTL.

To be honest, the MA drivers will probably 'smooth' out the shitty recordings. They don't add much in the way of character to the sound they play. The only real problem I have with them is that they don't have the same turn of pace for complex music. They can sound a little slurred to my ears when you start throwing in driving bass lines with heavy percussion.

a couple of thoughts;

AN and MA drivers are considerably different in so many respects, that if you're very familiar with the former, the latter could take some getting used to.

Exactly what do you mean by "do OK"? - any decent or even tolerably idiosyncratic speaker system will do nothing to mitigate for crappy performances / recordings - even those intentionally so - although for aficionados of such that might part of be their "charm"?

Of all the MA drivers, the only model that might be able to deliver what I think you're looking for would be the A12P in a Pensil or other type of MLTL.

my only issue with AN is that they had moments where they were very beamy. if there was a filter to smooth this out id be golden with them.

To be honest, the MA drivers will probably 'smooth' out the shitty recordings. They don't add much in the way of character to the sound they play.
Based on my own experience, I'd disagree with the first sentence, but certainly the second is true - neither do the Alpairs subtract much.

The only real problem I have with them is that they don't have the same turn of pace for complex music. They can sound a little slurred to my ears when you start throwing in driving bass lines with heavy percussion.
I find that's really only the case at the higher volume levels that some folks are looking for.

HP filter them and add woofers for the heavy lifting can help with that a lot

My experience with 21st century radio music is that it presents on any decent speaker of any topology and particularly the MA drivers as white noise. The Alpair 7's and 10's bring out all the nuances of that white noise. I have a couple of remastered 80's hard rock bands and they are absolutely unlistenable. If you absolutely have to listen to this kind of music, get some speakers that are rolled off at the top, maybe FF225WK's. That might make some of the stuff at least passable.

Bob

My experience with 21st century radio music is that it presents on any decent speaker of any topology and particularly the MA drivers as white noise. The Alpair 7's and 10's bring out all the nuances of that white noise. I have a couple of remastered 80's hard rock bands and they are absolutely unlistenable. If you absolutely have to listen to this kind of music, get some speakers that are rolled off at the top, maybe FF225WK's. That might make some of the stuff at least passable.

Bob

well i listened to a lot of slayer and stuff like that on my audio nirvana's and it wasn't terrible. i think im gonna go back to the audio nirvana's or some fostex.

My personal acid test for a speaker/audio chain is to play a PJ Harvey cd.
On my main system Tannoys/ tube//ss power she is cohenrent and her voice is actually Very good.
On my MA chp's she sounds like a cat with it's tail trod upon... Awful and unlistenable .
They have neither the speed nor the resolution required .
Surprising given that the big speakers are 15" while the mark audios are Less than 4"
Buy cheap.. buy repeatedly.

I think Bob has made the point you were looking for: there are no such speakers that you were hoping for. If you have the transient control required for reproduction of accurate timbres for brass, strings, and percussion only (an acoustic instrument trio, that is), then a poorly maintained switch in the recording chain can be heard too.
If you have the "smoothing" required to make listenable a recording which isn't, then you won't get the "air" of a string, or the "edge" of a cymbal, so to speak. Just my thoughts.
Lots of distortion in death metal, industrial, etc., is actually part of the music so I'm thinking you want the intentional trash. The pro audio gear used to record music is, in many cases, what is really the offender and there is not too much but a slow speaker to ease the pain, I think.
Say OSD1, what is the word on the audio nirvana stuff? which are you most happy with? Do you have a few words to describe their "character" to us?

As Bob says, high resolution speakers of any kind and the vast majority of current big commercial popular music recordings do not an especially happy combination make. They'll tell you exactly what is wrong with these recordings, which are usually engineered for lowest-common-denominator, viz. table-top radios, cheap shop-bought micro-systems etc. Or fallen victim to the compression brought on by the loudness wars.

My personal acid test for a speaker/audio chain is to play a PJ Harvey cd.
On my main system Tannoys/ tube//ss power she is cohenrent and her voice is actually Very good.
On my MA chp's she sounds like a cat with it's tail trod upon... Awful and unlistenable .
They have neither the speed nor the resolution required .
Surprising given that the big speakers are 15" while the mark audios are Less than 4"
Buy cheap.. buy repeatedly.

These CHPs are the ones you bought without bothering to look at the spec. sheet, the fact that the top end was shelved down, and then stuffed them into a box salvaged from a mini-system without any thought to alignment if memory serves?

Er, no. They won't sound like 15in DC Tannoys which when new cost around 50x the price in real terms (correcting for inflation & other factors). Oddly enough, I don't think they were supposed to either.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.