full range speakers and poor recordings - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2013, 07:05 PM   #1
osd1 is offline osd1  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Outskirts of Life
Default full range speakers and poor recordings

hey now.

i've had the audio nirvana super 10s in a monitor enclosure as well as a 5.6. i've also had those same super 10s and standard 8s in an ambiance enclosure. i'm considering going back to AN but am also interested in mark audio this time around.

my question to you is this: for someone who has a lot of shitty recordings (hardcore, death metal, industrial music with lots of distortion), but also listens to classical and jazz, are there any full range drivers that do ok with poor recordings?
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2013, 07:53 PM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: victoria BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by osd1 View Post
hey now.

i've had the audio nirvana super 10s in a monitor enclosure as well as a 5.6. i've also had those same super 10s and standard 8s in an ambiance enclosure. i'm considering going back to AN but am also interested in mark audio this time around.

my question to you is this: for someone who has a lot of shitty recordings (hardcore, death metal, industrial music with lots of distortion), but also listens to classical and jazz, are there any full range drivers that do ok with poor recordings?

a couple of thoughts;

AN and MA drivers are considerably different in so many respects, that if you're very familiar with the former, the latter could take some getting used to.



Exactly what do you mean by "do OK"? - any decent or even tolerably idiosyncratic speaker system will do nothing to mitigate for crappy performances / recordings - even those intentionally so - although for aficionados of such that might part of be their "charm"?

Of all the MA drivers, the only model that might be able to deliver what I think you're looking for would be the A12P in a Pensil or other type of MLTL.
__________________
you don't really believe everything you think, do you?
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com commercial site planet10-HiFi
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2013, 08:15 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
To be honest, the MA drivers will probably 'smooth' out the shitty recordings. They don't add much in the way of character to the sound they play. The only real problem I have with them is that they don't have the same turn of pace for complex music. They can sound a little slurred to my ears when you start throwing in driving bass lines with heavy percussion.
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2013, 08:38 PM   #4
osd1 is offline osd1  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Outskirts of Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
a couple of thoughts;

AN and MA drivers are considerably different in so many respects, that if you're very familiar with the former, the latter could take some getting used to.



Exactly what do you mean by "do OK"? - any decent or even tolerably idiosyncratic speaker system will do nothing to mitigate for crappy performances / recordings - even those intentionally so - although for aficionados of such that might part of be their "charm"?

Of all the MA drivers, the only model that might be able to deliver what I think you're looking for would be the A12P in a Pensil or other type of MLTL.
my only issue with AN is that they had moments where they were very beamy. if there was a filter to smooth this out id be golden with them.
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2013, 10:29 PM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: victoria BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by gafhenderson View Post
To be honest, the MA drivers will probably 'smooth' out the shitty recordings. They don't add much in the way of character to the sound they play.
Based on my own experience, I'd disagree with the first sentence, but certainly the second is true - neither do the Alpairs subtract much.


Quote:
The only real problem I have with them is that they don't have the same turn of pace for complex music. They can sound a little slurred to my ears when you start throwing in driving bass lines with heavy percussion.
I find that's really only the case at the higher volume levels that some folks are looking for.

HP filter them and add woofers for the heavy lifting can help with that a lot
__________________
you don't really believe everything you think, do you?
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com commercial site planet10-HiFi
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013, 12:04 AM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
Bob Brines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Hot Spring Village AR
My experience with 21st century radio music is that it presents on any decent speaker of any topology and particularly the MA drivers as white noise. The Alpair 7's and 10's bring out all the nuances of that white noise. I have a couple of remastered 80's hard rock bands and they are absolutely unlistenable. If you absolutely have to listen to this kind of music, get some speakers that are rolled off at the top, maybe FF225WK's. That might make some of the stuff at least passable.

Bob
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013, 12:44 AM   #7
osd1 is offline osd1  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Outskirts of Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post
My experience with 21st century radio music is that it presents on any decent speaker of any topology and particularly the MA drivers as white noise. The Alpair 7's and 10's bring out all the nuances of that white noise. I have a couple of remastered 80's hard rock bands and they are absolutely unlistenable. If you absolutely have to listen to this kind of music, get some speakers that are rolled off at the top, maybe FF225WK's. That might make some of the stuff at least passable.

Bob
well i listened to a lot of slayer and stuff like that on my audio nirvana's and it wasn't terrible. i think im gonna go back to the audio nirvana's or some fostex.
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013, 04:37 AM   #8
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: vancouver
My personal acid test for a speaker/audio chain is to play a PJ Harvey cd.
On my main system Tannoys/ tube//ss power she is cohenrent and her voice is actually Very good.
On my MA chp's she sounds like a cat with it's tail trod upon... Awful and unlistenable .
They have neither the speed nor the resolution required .
Surprising given that the big speakers are 15" while the mark audios are Less than 4"
Buy cheap.. buy repeatedly.
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013, 05:34 AM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Georgia
I think Bob has made the point you were looking for: there are no such speakers that you were hoping for. If you have the transient control required for reproduction of accurate timbres for brass, strings, and percussion only (an acoustic instrument trio, that is), then a poorly maintained switch in the recording chain can be heard too.
If you have the "smoothing" required to make listenable a recording which isn't, then you won't get the "air" of a string, or the "edge" of a cymbal, so to speak. Just my thoughts.
Lots of distortion in death metal, industrial, etc., is actually part of the music so I'm thinking you want the intentional trash. The pro audio gear used to record music is, in many cases, what is really the offender and there is not too much but a slow speaker to ease the pain, I think.
Say OSD1, what is the word on the audio nirvana stuff? which are you most happy with? Do you have a few words to describe their "character" to us?
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013, 07:28 AM   #10
diyAudio Member
 
Scottmoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: UK
As Bob says, high resolution speakers of any kind and the vast majority of current big commercial popular music recordings do not an especially happy combination make. They'll tell you exactly what is wrong with these recordings, which are usually engineered for lowest-common-denominator, viz. table-top radios, cheap shop-bought micro-systems etc. Or fallen victim to the compression brought on by the loudness wars.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
My personal acid test for a speaker/audio chain is to play a PJ Harvey cd.
On my main system Tannoys/ tube//ss power she is cohenrent and her voice is actually Very good.
On my MA chp's she sounds like a cat with it's tail trod upon... Awful and unlistenable .
They have neither the speed nor the resolution required .
Surprising given that the big speakers are 15" while the mark audios are Less than 4"
Buy cheap.. buy repeatedly.
These CHPs are the ones you bought without bothering to look at the spec. sheet, the fact that the top end was shelved down, and then stuffed them into a box salvaged from a mini-system without any thought to alignment if memory serves?

Er, no. They won't sound like 15in DC Tannoys which when new cost around 50x the price in real terms (correcting for inflation & other factors). Oddly enough, I don't think they were supposed to either.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Full range speakers the way to go? dave123456@mail Full Range 18 24th September 2013 10:52 PM
Full range speakers using EL70's - help. Moonfly Full Range 36 4th November 2012 06:14 PM
Frequency range of the human voice & full range center channel speakers jwmbro Multi-Way 31 20th January 2008 03:07 PM
what are full range speakers? legendaryfrog Full Range 10 10th November 2006 01:35 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:57 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2