Full Range Car Audio - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th July 2013, 05:04 AM   #1
rickfvb is offline rickfvb  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Default Full Range Car Audio

Hi!

I want to share my experience using a fullrange driver at my car and have some tips for the passive adjust. I use a 2way+sub (woofer+fullrange) with no electronic adjusts, only direction adjusts, and it gives me a incredible soundstage and focus for a purist system.
I have some experience using fullranges, I've made a FH3 for Mark Audio CHP-70.
Lets go for what really matters.
I've tryed 3 models.
FR88EX (actually at my car), Vifa NE85W (Not in the car) and Fostex FF85WK.
For the Founteks, I've already know about a notch filter (8,2uF//.33mH//4,7ohms) and i had a good response using as open baffle. Last weekend i did a Zobel filter using 2.2uFseries2.5uFseries1uFseries9,6ohms, and it sounds great. The Notch cap is a Mundorf Al/Oil and the zobel caps are Clarity ESA and Solen.
The Fostex, I've tested at home, using a 2L sealed enclosure with no filters and had a great response. But at the car using open baffle that was terrible.
But even with this problem, this driver sound way much betterm with a better top end, and a good sound (better than the Fountek).
I need to use at that configuration, i dont want to build any box. How can you see at the pics, my car pannel is very small, and I don't belive that any box can fit and sound as good as it sound at this "poor" mountage.
The HU is a Denon DCT-100, the amplifier is a Brazilian amp, that sound similar to McIntosh car amps. Today i'm using Chord Cobraplus IC's, a Nakamichi EC302 active crossover (High and Low pass from 0-300Hz @18dB/octave). The cable for the fullrange way is now (for this week at least!) A Nordost Valhalla (it will be probably a Blue Heaven at the final setup) The speaker cable for the fullrange is Chord Odissey. For midbasses (Focal 165VR).I use Canare 4S8 as speaker cable. THe subwoofer is a RE audio SRI 10".
Some pics from the last adjust. Its a poor mountage, but how I've said, it's a test setup.
Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

I'm looking for a great sondstage and a focused image at car, using no processing, only directionning.
Hope can have your help, I use to read a lot of thigs here that inspire me to try some crazy things like this.
I openned this thread becouse all other threads about fullranges at car, where old and have poor information.

Thanks,
Henrique

Hide this!Advertise here!