Full Range Car Audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

I want to share my experience using a fullrange driver at my car and have some tips for the passive adjust. I use a 2way+sub (woofer+fullrange) with no electronic adjusts, only direction adjusts, and it gives me a incredible soundstage and focus for a purist system.
I have some experience using fullranges, I've made a FH3 for Mark Audio CHP-70.
Lets go for what really matters.
I've tryed 3 models.
FR88EX (actually at my car), Vifa NE85W (Not in the car) and Fostex FF85WK.
For the Founteks, I've already know about a notch filter (8,2uF//.33mH//4,7ohms) and i had a good response using as open baffle. Last weekend i did a Zobel filter using 2.2uFseries2.5uFseries1uFseries9,6ohms, and it sounds great. The Notch cap is a Mundorf Al/Oil and the zobel caps are Clarity ESA and Solen.
The Fostex, I've tested at home, using a 2L sealed enclosure with no filters and had a great response. But at the car using open baffle that was terrible.
But even with this problem, this driver sound way much betterm with a better top end, and a good sound (better than the Fountek).
I need to use at that configuration, i dont want to build any box. How can you see at the pics, my car pannel is very small, and I don't belive that any box can fit and sound as good as it sound at this "poor" mountage.
The HU is a Denon DCT-100, the amplifier is a Brazilian amp, that sound similar to McIntosh car amps. Today i'm using Chord Cobraplus IC's, a Nakamichi EC302 active crossover (High and Low pass from 0-300Hz @18dB/octave). The cable for the fullrange way is now (for this week at least!) A Nordost Valhalla (it will be probably a Blue Heaven at the final setup) The speaker cable for the fullrange is Chord Odissey. For midbasses (Focal 165VR).I use Canare 4S8 as speaker cable. THe subwoofer is a RE audio SRI 10".
Some pics from the last adjust. Its a poor mountage, but how I've said, it's a test setup.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I'm looking for a great sondstage and a focused image at car, using no processing, only directionning.
Hope can have your help, I use to read a lot of thigs here that inspire me to try some crazy things like this.
I openned this thread becouse all other threads about fullranges at car, where old and have poor information.

Thanks,
Henrique

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.