Please Identify This Mystery FR Driver???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Guys:

A friend recently passed away and left me this pair of drivers, but NO product model numbers to be found. I reckon one of you more knowledgeable fellows might recognize them. Cone diameter is 7.5" (190 mm) out to the frame, and 7" (175 mm) to the outside edge of the foam roll surround.

The magnets (two stacked up) are 4-1/4" (110 mm) diameter and 1-5/16" (34mm) high. As you can see in the photos, there are some radial impressions in the cone, and the magnet is stamped 12 ohms, 20W, S4EN03.

Anybody know what these are?

Thanks,
-Diogenio

Attachments

• FR_Driver1.jpg
    FR_Driver1.jpg
    566.9 KB · Views: 256
  • FR_Driver2.jpg
    FR_Driver2.jpg
    872.4 KB · Views: 248
  • FR_Driver3.jpg
    FR_Driver3.jpg
    533.4 KB · Views: 246
  • FR_Driver4.jpg
    FR_Driver4.jpg
    568.8 KB · Views: 241
Hello there. I can help that is for sure the late Moth audio drivers. A knock off of the Lowther fullrange drivers. The 12 ohms and 20 watts gave them away. I have had 2 pairs of them. One of the pairs had a rubbing voice coil so I had to sell them for almost nothing. Also becareful of the 12 ohms it is whst it says and also becareful of the 20 watts pushing them to hard could burn the voice coil up and there is no replacements. http://mothmuseum.com/mothaudio/images/cicadaflyer.pdf Here's a link to the speakers in the cabinets them selfs. Moth Audio Cicada Here's another sight that has the org. drawings of the Moth audio box. valviac -> audio/diy -> la cigarra Here's another guy that did his own build with the moth audio drivers. I would go with his box and add a super tweeter. I hope this helps? I never got to build my boxes for the moth audios. I sold a pair for nothing and I think I sold the other pair for bills years ago. The moth audio company has been gone for years now. The only way I know about this copmany is the local hi-fi shop had them years ago and a friend of mine that was a sales guy showed me them and played them for me really nice speakers. Funny thing He still has the pair he bought 15 years ago. Well again I hope this helps sorry for such a long post trying to help you out. Mr. Jeff

Thanks guys! Mr. Jeff, I think you are RIGHT! I say that because my late friend once owned a pair of those Moth Audio FR speakers. I seem to recall him saying that he changed the drivers out for some Triangle units from France. It would make sense that these are not marked Fostex, or be in a marked box.

What are the TS specs for these drivers? Were they considered decent quality, or should I just pass on using them?

Yep, Mr. Jeff...thats the Moth alright. One of mine has the whizzer cut off of it, an old experiment, I guess. I'd have to make a new whizzer and glue it on. The German website gave T/S measurements and claimed only 91 dB/W/M. That is disappointing, I need higher efficiency. Maybe I'll just dump these and stick with a larger Fostex...higher efficiency.

Yep, Mr. Jeff...thats the Moth alright. One of mine has the whizzer cut off of it, an old experiment, I guess. I'd have to make a new whizzer and glue it on. The German website gave T/S measurements and claimed only 91 dB/W/M. That is disappointing, I need higher efficiency. Maybe I'll just dump these and stick with a larger Fostex...higher efficiency.

Don't dump them yet? They sold for $159.00 each back in the day. If you don't want them let me know? If you have the wizzer cone let me know? I might want to scoop up this pair from you? I have benn looking for a pair of these drivers for years now? Well let me know and if not try e-mailing Dave at planet 10 hi-fi .com Here is a link to his forum here. I have bought drivers from him and he is the only guy I will deal with on modding the org. fullrange drivers. Well these are great around speakers but, not party speakers for sure. valviac -> audio/diy -> la cigarra His name is planet 10. Give him a e-mail might be worth keeping? Mr. Jeff

Mr. Jeff: I don't have the missing whizzer cone, but it appears rather easy to make one out of a manilla file folder. The manilla paper appears very similar in stiffness and thickness to the original Moth whizzer paper - it's even a close color match!

I'll most likely be selling these and you are certainly welcome to make me a reasonable, market-value offer. I'll need to take some photos of the driver that has had the whizzer cut off . Please give me a few weeks to get to this, as I have other irons in the fire at present.

Thanks,

Mr. Jeff: I don't have the missing whizzer cone, but it appears rather easy to make one out of a manilla file folder. The manilla paper appears very similar in stiffness and thickness to the original Moth whizzer paper - it's even a close color match!

I'll most likely be selling these and you are certainly welcome to make me a reasonable, market-value offer. I'll need to take some photos of the driver that has had the whizzer cut off . Please give me a few weeks to get to this, as I have other irons in the fire at present.

Thanks,

Okay thanks. Take your time I am not in a rush. I can tell you years back my drivers were in new cond. and I never plugged them in and I got with shipping 150.00 a pair. So really $120.00 a pair. I have no idea what they are worth? I would contact dave again from planet 10 he might be able to help us out? Mr. Jeff

Here are photos of the other Moth driver. The whizzer has been cut off of it, but I see no reason why one cannot be made out of some manilla file folder stock, it is very similar material. There is also one small area that has been repaired. The foam surround OUTSIDE of the actual roll area (where it bonds to the frame) had a small slit, and previous owner put some glue on it. This should not affect performance in any way, as it is completely outside of the actual suspension.

I will be selling these drivers on EBAY, but will give head's up to people here on DIY if anybody wants them. $100 plus actual shipping cost to your location. Send me a PM.

Attachments

• Moth Front 1.jpg
    Moth Front 1.jpg
    749.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Moth Front 2.jpg
    Moth Front 2.jpg
    416.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Moth Front 3.jpg
    Moth Front 3.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Moth Rear.jpg
    Moth Rear.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 54
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.