Please Identify This Mystery FR Driver??? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th July 2013, 11:46 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Please Identify This Mystery FR Driver???

Hey Guys:

A friend recently passed away and left me this pair of drivers, but NO product model numbers to be found. I reckon one of you more knowledgeable fellows might recognize them. Cone diameter is 7.5" (190 mm) out to the frame, and 7" (175 mm) to the outside edge of the foam roll surround.

The magnets (two stacked up) are 4-1/4" (110 mm) diameter and 1-5/16" (34mm) high. As you can see in the photos, there are some radial impressions in the cone, and the magnet is stamped 12 ohms, 20W, S4EN03.

Anybody know what these are?

Thanks,
-Diogenio
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FR_Driver1.jpg (566.9 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg FR_Driver2.jpg (872.4 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg FR_Driver3.jpg (533.4 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg FR_Driver4.jpg (568.8 KB, 217 views)
Old 29th July 2013, 12:17 AM   #2
IG81 is offline IG81  Canada
diyAudio Member

Lowther DX4 is my guess.

IG
Old 29th July 2013, 12:26 AM   #3
Mr Jeff is offline Mr Jeff  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello there. I can help that is for sure the late Moth audio drivers. A knock off of the Lowther fullrange drivers. The 12 ohms and 20 watts gave them away. I have had 2 pairs of them. One of the pairs had a rubbing voice coil so I had to sell them for almost nothing. Also becareful of the 12 ohms it is whst it says and also becareful of the 20 watts pushing them to hard could burn the voice coil up and there is no replacements. http://mothmuseum.com/mothaudio/images/cicadaflyer.pdf Here's a link to the speakers in the cabinets them selfs. Moth Audio Cicada Here's another sight that has the org. drawings of the Moth audio box. valviac -> audio/diy -> la cigarra Here's another guy that did his own build with the moth audio drivers. I would go with his box and add a super tweeter. I hope this helps? I never got to build my boxes for the moth audios. I sold a pair for nothing and I think I sold the other pair for bills years ago. The moth audio company has been gone for years now. The only way I know about this copmany is the local hi-fi shop had them years ago and a friend of mine that was a sales guy showed me them and played them for me really nice speakers. Funny thing He still has the pair he bought 15 years ago. Well again I hope this helps sorry for such a long post trying to help you out. Mr. Jeff
Old 29th July 2013, 12:27 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Here's some pictures for you bro. Mr. Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001_1.JPG (756.7 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg 002_2.JPG (741.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 003_3.JPG (748.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 004_4.JPG (628.6 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 005_5.JPG (604.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 006_6.JPG (792.6 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by Mr Jeff; 29th July 2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old 29th July 2013, 12:52 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys! Mr. Jeff, I think you are RIGHT! I say that because my late friend once owned a pair of those Moth Audio FR speakers. I seem to recall him saying that he changed the drivers out for some Triangle units from France. It would make sense that these are not marked Fostex, or be in a marked box.

What are the TS specs for these drivers? Were they considered decent quality, or should I just pass on using them?
Old 29th July 2013, 12:57 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Mr. Jeff...please post the pics so we can compare.
Old 29th July 2013, 01:03 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

So I take it the Moth speaker was just a tall bass reflex (vented) cabinet?
Old 29th July 2013, 01:16 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yep, Mr. Jeff...thats the Moth alright. One of mine has the whizzer cut off of it, an old experiment, I guess. I'd have to make a new whizzer and glue it on. The German website gave T/S measurements and claimed only 91 dB/W/M. That is disappointing, I need higher efficiency. Maybe I'll just dump these and stick with a larger Fostex...higher efficiency.
Old 30th July 2013, 12:10 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenio View Post
Yep, Mr. Jeff...thats the Moth alright. One of mine has the whizzer cut off of it, an old experiment, I guess. I'd have to make a new whizzer and glue it on. The German website gave T/S measurements and claimed only 91 dB/W/M. That is disappointing, I need higher efficiency. Maybe I'll just dump these and stick with a larger Fostex...higher efficiency.

Don't dump them yet? They sold for $159.00 each back in the day. If you don't want them let me know? If you have the wizzer cone let me know? I might want to scoop up this pair from you? I have benn looking for a pair of these drivers for years now? Well let me know and if not try e-mailing Dave at planet 10 hi-fi .com Here is a link to his forum here. I have bought drivers from him and he is the only guy I will deal with on modding the org. fullrange drivers. Well these are great around speakers but, not party speakers for sure. valviac -> audio/diy -> la cigarra His name is planet 10. Give him a e-mail might be worth keeping? Mr. Jeff
Old 30th July 2013, 12:13 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenio View Post
Mr. Jeff...please post the pics so we can compare.

I already did that. I am new to the user name not the forum so it takes a few hours. I hope the pictures helped you out. Mr. Jeff

Hide this!Advertise here!