foam surround, how to reinforce?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey guys!

I have a pair of Sony speakers with 2 12" woofers each. The four 12"s pound pretty good, and I will be taking them to a backyard party a week from today.

However, the foam surrounds, although intact, show small fine cracks starting to creep around the perimeter of the woofers.

I'm worried that after hours of pushing air, they will start to fall apart.

Does anyone have any tips on reinforcing the foam? Maybe a product to layer or spray around the woofers to get some extra life out of them?

Thanks!

hey guys!

I have a pair of Sony speakers with 2 12" woofers each. The four 12"s pound pretty good, and I will be taking them to a backyard party a week from today.

However, the foam surrounds, although intact, show small fine cracks starting to creep around the perimeter of the woofers.

I'm worried that after hours of pushing air, they will start to fall apart.

Does anyone have any tips on reinforcing the foam? Maybe a product to layer or spray around the woofers to get some extra life out of them?

Thanks!

There is no reinforcing it. If it's polyurethane it's degrading and there nothing to be done except replacement. I've done re-foam on 6 Advents and on those it's no big deal. It takes about an hour to do the work and a day for the glues to finish up. They're good as new.

In a pinch, with speakers from a thrift, I've coated surrounds with Aleen's craft glue. Mind you, this was done before I sunk any money into them. This gave me the opportunity to evaluate them for rebuilding.

If the surrounds are still in tact, I start off with a mix of 50/50 glue and water. I use the softest artist brush I can find. After that dries, I use a 75/25 glue and water mix to seal them. I'm sure this will hold up for your party. Just don't get too much close to the cone. It makes it a real PITA to get the old off and the new surrounds on.

Good Luck with the Party.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.