foam surround, how to reinforce? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th July 2013, 11:16 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Arrow foam surround, how to reinforce?

hey guys!

I have a pair of Sony speakers with 2 12" woofers each. The four 12"s pound pretty good, and I will be taking them to a backyard party a week from today.

However, the foam surrounds, although intact, show small fine cracks starting to creep around the perimeter of the woofers.

I'm worried that after hours of pushing air, they will start to fall apart.

Does anyone have any tips on reinforcing the foam? Maybe a product to layer or spray around the woofers to get some extra life out of them?

Thanks!
Old 27th July 2013, 04:13 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by torontotech View Post
hey guys!

I have a pair of Sony speakers with 2 12" woofers each. The four 12"s pound pretty good, and I will be taking them to a backyard party a week from today.

However, the foam surrounds, although intact, show small fine cracks starting to creep around the perimeter of the woofers.

I'm worried that after hours of pushing air, they will start to fall apart.

Does anyone have any tips on reinforcing the foam? Maybe a product to layer or spray around the woofers to get some extra life out of them?

Thanks!
There is no reinforcing it. If it's polyurethane it's degrading and there nothing to be done except replacement. I've done re-foam on 6 Advents and on those it's no big deal. It takes about an hour to do the work and a day for the glues to finish up. They're good as new.

G
Old 28th July 2013, 06:28 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

In a pinch, with speakers from a thrift, I've coated surrounds with Aleen's craft glue. Mind you, this was done before I sunk any money into them. This gave me the opportunity to evaluate them for rebuilding.

If the surrounds are still in tact, I start off with a mix of 50/50 glue and water. I use the softest artist brush I can find. After that dries, I use a 75/25 glue and water mix to seal them. I'm sure this will hold up for your party. Just don't get too much close to the cone. It makes it a real PITA to get the old off and the new surrounds on.

Good Luck with the Party.
Old 29th July 2013, 12:36 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Be sure your first coat is dry before applying the second. If it is still tacky you might tear the surround with the brush. I just popped a reinforced surround last week so don't expect a miracle.

Hide this!Advertise here!