Need information about this Fieldcoil speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I have these pair of speakers but they have not mark/ label on it and not attachment power supply. So I don't have any information about them.

Could anyone help to tell me what is this speaker (with 30cm diameter) and how to use it ?

Thank you and best regards,

QA.

Attachments

• IMG_0691.JPG
    IMG_0691.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_0697.JPG
    IMG_0697.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_0699.JPG
    IMG_0699.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
I believe the speakers are a universal model ,known as a G12,that was made in several countries under a licence from the U.S.A. In Australia,Rola were the manufacturers.

Tks VaNarn.

This link shows Rola G-12 has an 8-ohm nominal voice coil, and a 5100-ohm rated field coil impedance. I never use/ build field coil spks so my experience about them is nearly zero.

Pls, tell me how do I get the their specifications ? How is the power supply (voltage ane current) for the coil ?

Vintage Rola G 12 Field Coil 1950s Speaker 8 Ohm 12" Hammond Leslie | eBay

Attachments

• Rola G12.JPG
    Rola G12.JPG
    550.7 KB · Views: 198
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi tcqanh.It was usual to run the field coil for a dissipation of 12 W and in most cases the electro magnet cum filter choke was used as part of an amplifier/radio power supply( when under class A conditions). As this involved basically current operation,field coil resistance values were supplied to meet the specific needs of each end user.The nominal voice coil impedance for the models manufactured in Australia were 2 to 16 Ohm. Basically to run the speakers that you have,I would measure the DC resistance of the field coils to determine their values.Don't be surprised to find a sizeable difference in the readings as tolerances were quite wide. A 5100 Ohm field coil would need a 250 V DC supply and since this is a high voltage,safety issues arise.Given the age of the wire and doubts about the type of enamelling used for insulation,I would recommend a rewind to a lower resistance say,48 Ohm,and use a regulated 24 V supply to run the field coil.

I'm fan of Tube ampli DIY and did build many tube amp, so high voltage like 250V is not problem. You are right. Isolation of field coil here is really issue.

I guess there are some Rola G12 versions. I've just got one specs of them on the internet:

Rola G12 T-S parameters

5100 Ohm Field Coil
12 Watts dissipation
V=260V I=0.048A

Qts 0.38
Qms 15.87
Qes 0.39
Vas 65.49
Sens 100.22 dB
Sd 0.0511
Fo 74.41
Dcr 6ohms
Cms 176.64 mN
MM 25.89g

Is it right information for all of Rola G12 ?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
If your G 12's are fitted with the original cones,i.e. they have a Fs resonance of 75 Hz or higher,then I would consider having them reconed to achieve an improved performance.A lower Fs, a long throw voice for a larger Xmax and a slightly thicker cone would be all be beneficial as the design concepts for speakers of that vintage aimed at different standards than what is acceptable to-day.Early speakers achieve most of their apparent efficiency via equal gap/voice heights and cone break-up behaviour and have limited power handling capacity.If you wish to use the G12 as is, then the only likely candidate would be a horn loaded compression tweeter,preferably with a wide dispersion and a usefully low xover freq.,say around 1 kHz.

Great to see there are diyers in VN. Is it hard to get parts and drivers there?

Hello xrk971,

I'm one of many audio diyers in VN taking part here. You are right. We have to buy those parts on the internet, via madisound, ebay, ect... So we have to get high tax and transfer charge. There are some audio dealer (speakers driver) here, e.g. Beymar, P audio... but almost them are professional.

Do you know VN ? or Have you ever been in VN ?

correct: 2 drivers have 680 ohms and 880 ohms of field coil. Any problem ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.