Splitting a dual speaker box into two separate speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Each of my 3 front speaker boxes in my 6.1 home theater each has two 5" woofers in them. What I want to do is cut each speaker box exactly in the middle to make each box into two separate boxes each with one woofer in them. Obviously close each end of the new boxes with MDF. These are ported boxes so I would have to make new ports for them.

The reason I want to do this is to make 3 more speakers for the rear because I do not like how my current rear speakers sound. I don't want to just buy new speakers because they wouldn't match the sound of the front speakers. Plus this way would save me some money.

Would this be a good idea or would the speakers sound bad due to a smaller box?

In a nutshell...bad idea. Each enclosure you say has dual 5 inch drivers...and tweeters? Chances are it has dual woofers and a single tweeter. Besides, the box tuning frequency will be way off & will not perform correctly. Doing this so-called surgery doesnt really work out....tried it...consistently wind up fouling it up one way or another...it is difficult to say the least to get it looking halfway decent....often making it look, well...hacked up.
Wouldnt match the sound of the fronts....by what do you mean *match*???
Creating new speakers for these 6.1 systems is an easy way to vastly improve the quality of sound...........as the speakers in these systems are of dubious quality & accuracy of sound.

_________________________________________________Rick.....................

Thanks for the replies Richard and Bibliophile.

I guess i'll email Onkyo to get the specs of the 5" speakers to design and make new enclosures for them. The speakers originally did have a tweeter in them but I disconnected them and have different tweeters on the outside of the boxes.

Bibliophile, yes the 5" speakers are being used as mid-range. I have a 12" subwoofer.

Good luck getting enough TS parameter information from any mainstream manufacturer to successfully engineer a decent sounding enclosure using their drivers. I think you'd be far better off by looking at any of numerous well established DIY kits from folks like PartsExpress, Madisound, Zaph, CSS to name but a few.

FWIW, it's long been my opinion that at the very least the front row 3 of any surround system should be as closely tonally matched as possible, and that the center channel is the most important of the bunch. This means trying to stick with same make and even models of drivers across the front.

The issue of course in designing a center is that in many cases the constraints of available space can compromise the choice of driver sizes and enclosure design.

For the average modest home system, the front height and rears/surrounds are far less important, and certainly don't need the same operating bandwidth as fronts. They can work quite successfully with smaller drivers and enclosures than up front - even to the point of single wide-band drivers.

Thanks chrisb. Back when I was trying to make an enclosure for my old Re-30's 12" woofers, I was able to get that info from Cerwin-Vega. I won't hold my breath for Onkyo to do the same. I guess I'll keep the way its setup now until I can afford better speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.