Karlsonator - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th July 2013, 01:50 PM   #11
IG81 is offline IG81  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
IG,
I was wondering about that too - maybe one of the T/S params I entered is off?
My guess would be only B*L or Mms could affect things in the midrange as they do here. It is getting close to 110dB, no way! Does Akabak run any kind of sanity-check on parameter sets?

IG
Old 19th July 2013, 02:05 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IG81 View Post
I've had a poster refer to various K-devices as Georgia O'Keefe-esque
Thanks - a new artist I'd never heard of. As she'd say "get to work"
Old 20th July 2013, 08:13 PM   #13
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

So I hear that 2013 is the year of the Karlsonator. It sure is for me.
I am having a blast with my minis. Looking forward to making a bigger one with a stronger motor.
Old 20th July 2013, 08:34 PM   #14
ruerose is offline ruerose  Canada
diyAudio Member

Any chance we could get some shortlist driver suggestions and some ballpark response curves (or at least what the low end curve is like) for each size? Makes it a real easy one-stop thread for interested people starting to toy with Karlsonators. I noticed the 8 had a couple options in the description.
Old 20th July 2013, 10:16 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Ruerose,
Most of the sims are posted in the Mini Karlson or Speaker that Kicks Butt threads. If someone wants to compile all the sims I have done, fine. I would rather spend my time doing new sims than collecting results. If you have a driver you are interested in, post a request and I will see if I can run a sim for you. Most any driver with moderate 0.35 to high Qts of 0.90 will work fine. Low Qts drivers work too but not needed to keep expense low.
Old 21st July 2013, 05:19 AM   #16
jamikl is offline jamikl  Australia
diyAudio Member

Another question. The original Karlson's had quite a "Danish Furniture" look to them and is one of the reasons I like them ( apart from the sound advantages down low ). The thing is, the Paragon also has that "Danish Furniture" look!!!
So the question is, if I built two of the two x FF225WK Karlsons , yeah I know it is probably a waste of those particular speakers but I have them, If used up to about 300 - 350Hz is the dispersion at those frequencies OK for using in a Paragon type enclose? As you can see I am an admirer of that 1960s furniture look!!! I guess I need replies from those who have been around for awhile.
jamikl
Old 21st July 2013, 11:06 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

What's a Paragon look like?
Old 21st July 2013, 11:40 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

How important are restrictions in the horn, Vs if the horn were to expand smoothly
to the point where Karlson slot continues the expansion? You've probably seen the
tall 18 drawing I occasionally post. With twin stubs similar to karlsonator, but not
with those two internal points of restriction...

Or perhaps mini karsonator's guts make such a short horn, that restrictions are
necessary to make sure it doesn't act as short as it looks? What am I missing?

---

Is the wing brace also a shelf? It is comforting to read that someone has obstructed
directly behind the KSlot and interfered with continuity to no disastrous consequence.
As I was wanting to brace the wings with a shelf and 45deg washplate, I did worry
that I might need to cutout away from the slot. Maybe now that's not necessary???

Last edited by kenpeter; 21st July 2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 21st July 2013, 12:38 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
How important are restrictions in the horn, Vs if the horn were to expand smoothly to the point where Karlson slot continues the expansion? You've probably seen the tall 18 drawing I occasionally post. With twin stubs similar to karlsonator, but not with those two internal points of restriction...
The Karlsonator is a ML-TQWT so that the constriction at the top has a significant impact on the bass extension. Make it big, you get more SPL but higher tuning frequency and make it smaller, less SPL and deeper bass.

Quote:
Or perhaps mini karsonator's guts make such a short horn, that restrictions are necessary to make sure it doesn't act as short as it looks? What am I missing?
Yes, the Karlsonator is a short TQWT horn, and the constriction is needed to mass load (ML) it so it doesn't "act" as compact as it is. On the mini K'nator that I have it is about 15 in tall, with some more constriction, I can get it down to probably 55 Hz which would normally require a much bigger folded box without the ML.

Quote:
Is the wing brace also a shelf? It is comforting to read that someone has obstructed directly behind the KSlot and interfered with continuity to no disastrous consequence. As I was wanting to brace the wings with a shelf and 45deg washplate, I did worry that I might need to cutout away from the slot. Maybe now that's not necessary???
Go ahead and add the brace, it is more important for it to be stiff, the effects of it blocking sound waves in the sub 300 Hz range is not as important. I saw this when I noticed how I can approximate the K slot with 9 rather "jagged" rectangular ports stacked on top of one another. Making it 14 ports did not change it much.
Old 21st July 2013, 08:16 PM   #20
IG81 is offline IG81  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamikl View Post
Another question. The original Karlson's had quite a "Danish Furniture" look to them and is one of the reasons I like them ( apart from the sound advantages down low ). The thing is, the Paragon also has that "Danish Furniture" look!!!
So the question is, if I built two of the two x FF225WK Karlsons , yeah I know it is probably a waste of those particular speakers but I have them, If used up to about 300 - 350Hz is the dispersion at those frequencies OK for using in a Paragon type enclose? As you can see I am an admirer of that 1960s furniture look!!! I guess I need replies from those who have been around for awhile.
jamikl
Funny you should mention Paragon and Karlson together. Look at what I roughly sketched a couple of years back for kicks:

Click the image to open in full size.

IG

Hide this!Advertise here!