Karlsonator - Page 17 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th September 2013, 06:06 AM   #161
Greg B is offline Greg B  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlang View Post

A question on the enclosure, however, it appears to show two builds, one with dotted red lines? Can anyone (Greg B?) elaborate?
I think you've gotten the answers to that already, but just to elaborate:

The dotted line in the center divider shows a simplified/easier construction option for the center divider. Since you are CNC equipped, go for the solid line... Smoother expansion and the center divider will be stiffer.

Though it may be worth playing around with, I'd recommend the 'standard' 39" radius K-aperture. The dotted lines show an experimenters' option. It think it would be too laid back with the FE167.

I'm looking forward to seeing this build!

BTW, years ago, Gregg Baker (eeehaah) had a prototype CNC'ed Karlson made. He was hoping to offer it as a flat pak kit, but there wasn't any demand at the time.
Old 25th September 2013, 12:53 PM   #162
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlang View Post
I'm going to use the Home Depot aracao plywood that is .73 inches thick. I took into account the extra thickness in the hard to read drawing shown.

I started to program the CNC. All panels will be rabbeted, mitered, and cut by the machine using a 1/4" straight bit as shown in the rendering of a few of the panels.

I'm not sure I will brace this since I am using 3/4" thick material.
Must be nice to have your own CNC
Looking forward to this build and your listening impressions.
Old 25th September 2013, 10:09 PM   #163
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Has anyone ever tried the Karlsonator with an Eminence Beta 10CX PA driver? This is a really nice powerful driver that seems attractively priced. It will need the coaxial CD for the built in horn, or add a K-tube CD externally. I ran a simulation and adjusted the top channel by increasing it by 1.3X to get more bass amplitude to balance it out a bit. The f3 is 39 Hz (95.6 dB at 1 watt 1 meter), not too bad. If I were to build a full scale K'nator, I think I might go with this driver for a bang for the buck consideration.

First plot is freq response at 1 m, second is impedance, third is cone displacement (well controlled), fourth is impulse response (very clean).

The flat bass shelf on this combo can't be beat (IMO).
I'd like to try this with the coaxial CD, but I'm not sure how to go about increasing the top channel by 1.3x. Raise the roof or lower the inside bit?
Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 10:43 PM   #164
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

would a Karlsonator "10" built between the 12 and 8 sizes play well with Beta10cx? (Beta10cx is a lot of fun in K12) I need to find someone to cut a Karlsonator 12 - I've too much pain from costochondritis to monkey with stuff.
Old 25th September 2013, 11:06 PM   #165
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinjc View Post
I'd like to try this with the coaxial CD, but I'm not sure how to go about increasing the top channel by 1.3x. Raise the roof or lower the inside bit?
Thanks
If you lower the inside a bit, that is least disruptive to everything else and should work well. Are you going to try the Beta 10CX?
Old 25th September 2013, 11:15 PM   #166
tomlang is offline tomlang  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddi View Post
would a Karlsonator "10" built between the 12 and 8 sizes play well with Beta10cx? (Beta10cx is a lot of fun in K12) I need to find someone to cut a Karlsonator 12 - I've too much pain from costochondritis to monkey with stuff.
I'll certainly consider cutting some of these for the folks here. Let me take a step back and 3D model the K-6 in Sketchup to be sure I don't miss anything. I've done this before with other items I have built and then I know all fits once I get done machining the parts.

Once the K-6 is done, I can do the K-8 and K-12 also. Mods to these (especially width) would be easy...

So in the next few days when I get a chance I'll do a 3D sketchup with exploded parts of the K-6... and post it here.
Old 25th September 2013, 11:23 PM   #167
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddi View Post
A Beta 10CX should be used in a full size Karlsonator (15 in). It will work in a 10/15 scaled one but at the expense of bass extension. Although you gain some efficiency. These sims are with a wall far away so you are not getting the added bass extension from a back wall.

Full Size

Click the image to open in full size.

10/12 Scale

Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Images
File Type: png Karlsonator-Full-Size-Beta10CX-Freq-1m.png (17.3 KB, 299 views)
File Type: png Karlsonator-10o15X-Beta10CX-Freq-1m.png (29.0 KB, 300 views)

Last edited by xrk971; 25th September 2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old 26th September 2013, 12:22 AM   #168
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

F10 `50Hz for the 10/12 Karlsonator seems an acceptable tradeoff - how about Beta 10CX versus Kappa 12A in GB's Karlsonator 12? - a pair of Karlsonator 8s should be nice too - dunno if the stock Karlsonator8 would match a Tangband 1772 - ? (also have Beta8cx and Nirvana stamped frame Super 8s) FE206EN had the most punch/attack for an 8" FR in a regular Karlson K12. Beta 10cx is a good high-value driver.

Last edited by freddi; 26th September 2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old 26th September 2013, 02:11 AM   #169
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
If you lower the inside a bit, that is least disruptive to everything else and should work well. Are you going to try the Beta 10CX?
Yes. Beta 10CX w/ Selenium DT220Ti and the 2k5 crossover. Is the "full sized version" the "Karlsonator" from post #1?
Old 26th September 2013, 04:54 AM   #170
diyAudio Member

Yes, go full size. The vent scaling by 1.3x is optional as it looks pretty good with 1x vent as seen above.

Hide this!Advertise here!