Karlsonator

here are some Russian pages with something like the Karlsonator for a 10" LOMO KINAP 4A-28 fullrange - be nice if someone could sign in and see if larger images are still available

Àêóñòèêà Karlson. - Ñòðàíèöà 3

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

here's an enlargement of that thumbnail

NoSFAKx.jpg

this cabinet is interesting but can't make out dims

SgdfDjo.jpg

Last edited:
that's Greg B's 8 inch Karlsonator which was built by "thejessman" for his BG20's.
I don't believe the full height aperture has been made/documented for comparisons.

here's an outdoor comparison of a BG20 in one of Jesse's Karlsonator8 vs the same driver in a Karlsonator12 built for me. The Karlsonator12 had no fill in its stub so has some resonant dips. I think his Kalrsonator 8 had the stub lined but not filled.

I'm not sure how the full height aperture would measure - perhaps not a lot different but I measured some difference in a similar size and aspect K-coupler which had a reflex rear chamber rather than the mass loaded line. The aperture might be extended with less width and taper to "zero" at the top - something like the rough concept below:

p1vab3A.jpg

Red trace = Karlsonator 8 with BG20 Green = Karlsonator 12 with BG20

the mic was somewhat off the central lobe so didn't indicate full on-axis high frequency extension.

k12vsk8_zpsf3cff20e.png

Last edited:
I have the k-5tl on post 90. I also have a klam I use on other side for stereo. the k-5tl has a slightly duller tone I believe because I used scraps to build it mostly mdf. it is a very good design. the klam , ibuilt has a very small rear chamber 10x10x5. front chamber is oversize, and not canted. front chamber is 10x10 at baffle, and length, is 19in. I had lost mating cabs in bench accidents. a lot of bass extension is programed in at mastering. I have no problems with bob marley, double bass in jazz tunes, or electric bass, and cello, French horn,and oboe . percussion is amazing , now this is on both, sealed and vented.that k-5tl is good I get a little more reverb out of the klam. they both are Dayton 5in. pa130, I bought 6 when they went on sale for 11 bucks each. I see diy'ers trying to make designs better than the inventers. that is hard to do. good designs last forever.

on the klam side, I got thejessman to build a klam12 for my toy - its loaded with an 80oz magnet cast frame Eminence 12 inch coax and a PRV compression driver - rear chamber is a bit less than one cubit foot. Its much clearer sounding than a BG20 in my fake Druid and seems powerful in its range - I need to figure out a good and non-obtrusive way to brace the wings as there's too much resonance when tapped

walters - those little PA130 are pretty lively - - this klam really is pretty small 12 inch

cmbY0Jf.jpg

maybe not lower but a lot punchier than a bare sealed box - you should make one out of foamboard - you could mount them high at the junction of wall and ceiling with the slot facing down - a rolled paper K-tube could be a helper tweeter - you might have to contour the highpass a bit using a dome tweeter

Last edited:
xrk971, I don't think you are going to hear the same ringing effects in your foam karlson models. maybe a peel and stick kitchen cabinet drawer liner lining the inside of the front chamber and aperture. I think they sell them at the dollar store where you buy foam.
sooner or later you should try plywood. varnish or urethane inside front chamber. sims are not as accurate as you think. I think everyone will agree.
my klam seems almost as good as k-5tl on bass. they do couple if within 2meters of one another. better if on the floor. even better with a subwoofer in use.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Once I have a workshop plywood will be possible. I know that getting the mid bass right is still a challenge for my model in akabak. The bass knee is pretty accurate though and I have seen the W show up in the sims too. A full 3d model will be the only way to capture the acoustic lens effect and band pass going on at once.

can somebody please do me a favor and simulate the following driver in a karlsonator 8":

Monacor SPA 8PA
(fs) 75 Hz
(Cms) 0,16 mm/N
(Mms) 27 g
(Vas) 10 l
(Qms) 3,13
(Qes) 0,54
(Qts) 0,46
(Re) 6,2 Ohm
(Xmax) +/- 4,0 mm
(Sd) 213 cm^2

That thing is only 33€.
Me and my friend think about upgrading our outdoor party system.
So far we are going the 'fullrange + subwoofer'- way.
Maybe the Monacor + a piezo would be a nice, still low budget upgrade.
I will build the Karlson 8 either way ths spring for the BG20.
But i think about 'pushing the button' for the Monacors....(all that while i should learn for an exam...)

Greg, indulge me, i copy the These tsp in hopes for a Fit into a K12.

Impedance (Z) 8 Ω
Resonant frequency (fs) 53 Hz
Max. frequency range f3-4,000 Hz
Music power 400 WMAX
Power rating (P) 200 WRMS
SPL (1 W/m) 99 dB
Suspension compl. (Cms) 0.2 mm/N
Moving mass (Mms) 44 g
Mech. Q factor (Qms) 11.39
Electr. Q factor (Qes) 0.52
Total Q factor (Qts) 0.50
Equivalent volume (Vas) 77 l