Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I'm a novice willing to patiently and cluelessly follow instructions at the mercy of other's expertise but I think the high frequency is problematic.

TG9FD 4ohm frequency response 110 - 10k
TC9FD 8ohm 100 - 20k

side note: Man this place is addictive. I want to ditch/sell my brand name gear and diy sound in four different applications. Five! Forgot the car.

If you look at manufacturer's graph for TG9FD-04:
tg9FD10-4-graph.png

And compare to TC9FD:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It resembles TC9FD at 30deg off axis. I know the TC9FD sounds perfectly fine at 30deg off axis - so I think this is all good.

Liteply was successful I think as it resonates much like a tone wood panel on a guitar. I think laminating liteply with foam core would work fine. Some damping provided by the foam is good. As always, bracing internally should be done so it doesn't vibrate like a drum membrane. MDF and plywood have been used with mixed results. I think Francisco built a beautiful one from ply and painted all white. He did not say anything about poor sound quality. But I have heard from 3 others that plywood or MDF sounded bad.

Based on this information, I'm very tempted to rebuild my dual FaitalPro Karlsonators in Liteply. It should look very presentable with varnish over dark stained Liteply.

And now a short report on our listening session this afternoon. Twocents came over to my place to hear my Amp Camps. He seemed to be really impressed by the sound of my 0.53x Karlsonators powered by the ACA. Anyway, he also brought along his Tannoy bookshelf speakers to hear what they would sound like on the ACA's, because he is busy building his own ACA's. After some AB testing we found that the amazing soundstage that I get with the Karlsonators is totally absent with the Tannoys, which just highlights how good the Karlsonators are. Afterwards I listened to the Karlsonators driven by the TDA amp and the soundstage was still there, but weaker.

To say I'm happy with the ACA and Karlsonator combination would be an understatement. :happy1:

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks for the comparison with the Tannoys. Which model is that and do you have photos of your AB session? That would be very cool to see these speakers and your new ACA's in action.

Wide soundstage of Karlsonator is provided by the acoustic lens, aka, Karlson aperture. It makes the sound even over a wide angular distribution. The Tannoys are probably large diameter 8in or 12in drivers? The beaming on such a large driver is significant and hence soundstage is only good for a small 1ft wide sweet spot right in between.

The nicer presentation and soundstage with the ACA's is also from the fact that they are very low feedback amp. It may even sound nicer with a true zero global feedback amp like the MoFo.

Thanks for sharing.

I like K-tech including K-tube tweeters. These small apertures are really useful in the treble. The original Karlson cabs are interesting too. Take say a K12 with FE206EN - on Johnny Cash's "Get Rhythm" one box sounds like a live concert.

I literally have > a ton of horns - but still love Ks and feel there's even more for the experimenter to milk from their concepts.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the comparison with the Tannoys. Which model is that and do you have photos of your AB session? That would be very cool to see these speakers and your new ACA's in action.

Below is a photo taken at our first listening session - shortly after I completed the 0.53x K's, but before I built the ACA's. It will give you an idea of what the Tannoy's look like. Twocents (owner of the Tannoy's) said they are 'monitors'. I had a look yesterday and there is one 6" driver and one tweeter per cabinet, which probably means it's two-way.

The crude speaker stands are still in use. I'm planning to build proper stands when I rebuild the K's out of LitePly.

Also, note the position of the speakers close to the wall. I have since then discovered that speakers need to be moved well away from the wall and to form an equilateral triangle with the listener, thereby facilitating a good soundstage (if the system is up to it). As I've mentioned in my previous post, the ACA's and Karlsonators are a good match and the soundstage is excellent.

Attachments

• First_comparing_to_Tannoy.jpg
    First_comparing_to_Tannoy.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 379
And since you've asked for photos, here are my ACA's. I've made custom PCB's and used dead bug style cap multipliers to drop from the PSU's 24V down to 20V for the ACA's.

The enclosure still needs a lot of work, but I can enjoy the sound in the meantime.

Attachments

• ACA.jpg
    ACA.jpg
    464.2 KB · Views: 388
  • ACA3.jpg
    ACA3.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 376

Wide soundstage of Karlsonator is provided by the acoustic lens, aka, Karlson aperture. It makes the sound even over a wide angular distribution. The Tannoys are probably large diameter 8in or 12in drivers? The beaming on such a large driver is significant and hence soundstage is only good for a small 1ft wide sweet spot right in between.

The nicer presentation and soundstage with the ACA's is also from the fact that they are very low feedback amp. It may even sound nicer with a true zero global feedback amp like the MoFo.

Thanks for sharing.

Tannoy E11 - 2 way with 6.5" woofer and 1" tweeter - so, not a full range speaker. They sound good and loud enough with the ACAs.

BUT, with Skylar88's current setup - dual FaitalPro 0.53X Karlsonators with BSC driven by ACAs - I have never heard such a soundstage and imaging before. Simply jaw dropping with good recordings, like Nils Lofgren - Keith don't go live recording. The midrange is really really nice - warm and natural. Feels like the artist is in the same room. The treble is incredibly detailed and sharp without any hint of harshness. Comparing to the Tannoys - the Tannoys still have more authority in the mid bass and lower, but the Karlsonator's bass is just tighter and more pleasing, even if it does not go that low. The Karlsonators sound much better in all aspects. The presence they create is just amazing - even with old recordings ripped to MP3.

I have now experienced what a phenomenal difference an amp can make. I cannot wait to finish my ACAs. And then - more speakers to build, and then a MoFo I guess!

That's a fantastic looking amplifier!

Any details on how you did the heatsink/enclosure setup?

The enclosure construction is really very simple. So far I've just bolted aluminum plates to the underside and rear with 3mm bolts which fit into holes drilled and tapped into the heatsinks. I'll add a 6mm aluminum faceplate to the front and the top will get a 1.2mm alu plate that will be recessed to fit flush with the top of the heatsinks. That's about it. I may send the heatsinks in to be anodized and all the aluminum plates except the front will then also get a coat of paint.

Last edited:
I have some thin plywood of 3 and 5 mm thick.

I think I will try that for a 0.53x mini-K. I got the 4 TC9s in storage, so, might as well put them to good use!

PS. The 0.53x diagram in the first post is still up-to-date? Just checking, as I got burned on my 0.4x build, following the wrong dimensions...

Last edited:
That’s the Juma cap Mx circuit. Simple IRFP240, 10k, 220R, 1.5R, 220uF cap to be Mx, 1uF film snubber cap, 1N4004, 4700uF output.

Juma's Easy-Peasy Capacitance Multiplier

Yes, it's Juma's Cap Mx and this is a diagram for two-channels that I adapted from the one in that thread. I used IRFP250 because it was cheaper and more readily available.

Attachments

• PSU_cap_multiplier_monoblock_med.jpg
    PSU_cap_multiplier_monoblock_med.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 413
hello to all , my first post here :)
long time FR addicted but with not so good results, classic story :whazzat:
For the moment fostex fe103 en i like it best
but i have Alpair 12P which i tried in several enclosures... but driver has some irritant high freq. (form 1,2, Khz to up) and never worked for me...
i want to try karlsonator like the last chance for the driver .. which enclosure to take and drawing? i will go with 18mm 3/4" birch ply
thanks a lot ,
in the mean time i'm reading all of the thread with a lot of coffee :D:D

@perceval:
no, i didnt.. i made pencils , it was a lot of detail but slightly harsh.. and after some months i found the highs dominant and sound not balanced.. .all the time powered with tube amps, OTLs etc.. you have some BSC suggestions for this driver?

i never tried Karlsonator, maybe this is the way to go?