Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

Hello, gentlemen!
Started to think of new project after moving from Omsk to Moscow. Its here in Russia, if you're need to know) So I looked through few threads and saw p830986 is the only model of drivers I should get, they being affordable and available from ali. Maybe some visatons are an option, but I don't know if they're any better.

So if I use two of that chibese peerless in one speaker which scale should I go with? 0,53 or 0,4 or...

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
@xrk971. The 0.4s that GraphicCanuk built are 6.5". Do you have any info on expected performance vs 6" wide?

I’m not sure why he went 6.5in? But that increase volume to give deeper bass but needs to be sim’d. If too big will make mid bass sag. Although 0.5in wider is no big deal. It’s a very flexible tolerant design.

I've been listening to my 0.53x's (Dayton Audio PA-130-8 version) for couple weeks now once again. They still sound very good! At this price point you obviously have to have some limitations on what you expect your speakers to deliver. Most of the time these little speakers don't care what you throw at them, they deliver just good sound all day long. The volume levels that these little speakers are capable of is just stunning.

Just like some other small full-ranger drivers in different applications these just love to play stuff like man with hes guitar. Mid-range is an obvious strong point for these speakers. Really good bang for the buck these little speakers and I would highly recommend these for everyone to build. I could see these speakers playing music in a garage, office, bedroom etc. Just a really good reference point what you can achieve with mere 100 bucks for a pair of speakers.

Here is a good example from youtube, what I like to listen to with these speakers.
YouTube

Hi Skylar88!
you've got me intrigued with your build using dual Faital 3FE25. Easy build with the foam board construction, and Higher efficiency. Win-Win!!!

Got any pictures?

Hi MikeV

There are some pictures in my ACA Speaker short list thread. Also check out the update in post #103 where I added baffle steps to tame the high frequencies.

And after completing my Amp Camp Amp, they sound even better. :D

Disappearing speakers

As some of you know, I have recently built a pair of 0.53x Karlsonators with dual 3FE25-16 FaitalPro drivers. The sound was very good when powered by my B1 buffer preamp + TDA7297 chip amp. I’ve enjoyed the speakers a lot until I completed and connected my Amp Camp Amps.

This is probably important info, so I’ll mention it here. I followed the advice of Paul McGowan of PS Audio to position the speakers away from the front wall so that an equilateral triangle is formed between me and the speakers. See picture below.

While the sound is even better than before (sometimes downright amazing), I can’t hear the speakers for the most part. On the majority of music tracks the sound is in-between the two speakers and slightly behind while there is hardly any sound coming from the speakers themselves. :eek:

Have I wasted my money and time building these speakers, because now I can’t even hear them?

PS Maybe I should have kept this post until April.

Attachments

• Speaker_positioning.jpg
    Speaker_positioning.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 346
Since the baffle is angled, how high would you recommend placing the speakers? Ear level?

A while back, there was a post recommending .57x for the 4FE35. Not sure if it was ever simmed. Does that sound about right? And finally, which ohm version would you recommend when being driven with an avr? Thank you for your help!

They sound great with conventional Class AB amps in AVRs. The 4in 4FExx has not been modeled for the Karlsonator yet. It’s the 3.5in 3FE25-16 in parallel. That will give 97dB at 2.83v sensitivity. Subs integrated for below 80Hz would be about right.

Funny this is the topic today. A year ago my only posts here at DIY audio were in this thread wondering if I could lay a couple .4x tc9s on their side for a center channel. The answer was yes, but I didn't do that. I built three used as two mains and an upright center in a bedroom 15'x17'. Powered by a low end but current (atmos enabled s720w) Denon, they sounded fantastic with or without a subwoofer. Past tense because I'm saddened to report they were crushed this morning by a king sized mattress that better be comfortable because I'm a little disappointed in it at the moment. Foam sounds great but has a few drawbacks. Thankfully cost isn't one. Just stopping by grab the plans for their resurrection. :)

So sorry to hear about the mattress incident. Did the delivery people do this?

It's one of those expanding foam beds (foam is such useful stuff). It was delivered a few days ago, finished expandin, got slid into the bedroom and leaned against a wall... where it decided not to lean when no one was looking.
No worries. I'm glad it brought me back here. I bought four drivers and only built three Karlsonators. Two will be re-Karlsonated, but the other two are getting paired with RS225s, a topic found in another thread that sounds fun.