Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks Greg. The Polk is about the right size but. Building the speakers is my retirement hobby so buying a complete speaker is defeating the purpose. Often I buy speakers at thrift stores, build new cabinets and through to old ones away just for fun.

I suggest you look at a 6th order bandpass box as a sub. A good 5.25 in or 6.5in sub driver in this box would be a great match for a 0.4x Karlsonator.

Here is one designed for a 12 in driver, but I could easily get you a design for something like an MCM 55-2421 8in driver.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/259509-new-sub-design-constricted-transflex-simple-build-series-tuned-6th-order-80.html#post4178367

Thanks Greg. The Polk is about the right size but. Building the speakers is my retirement hobby so buying a complete speaker is defeating the purpose. Often I buy speakers at thrift stores, build new cabinets and through to old ones away just for fun.

Got it. In that case, some sort of Transflex/TH like xrk971 suggests would be about the closest thing to a Karlson subwoofer. Transflex and Karlson designs are close relatives. The vent could be cut in a karlson shape, though it would be mostly for looks.

Do you have any requirements as to bass extension and size/volume?

he could do ppsl, or with XRK971's help,a small RJ vented BP sub to gain some cone control - a circular aperture should be fine for sub use.

here's my factory RJ 15 inch enclosure - it actually sounds pretty articulate with an EV SP15 full range 15 - much more so than a similar size reflex with Nirvana Super10. (wish Kimsul were still made - nice to work with)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi freddi,

I remember you brought up RJ several times. It looked very interesting so I did some search. Unfortunately there's not much information on the web.

So, simply put, is it a close-coupling between port and driver? In the photo, the ports are the slits on both sides of baffle, which go around and turn to the front of woofer. Am I right?

In this principle, it's very much like a Karlson except for the shape of front terminus.

I'm also thinking, an Onken cab can be transformed into this by moving the ports towards front and wrapping/covering a part of the driver, so the coupling between them becomes closer. Seems interesting.

that's it - ports on either side of the spaced baffle - here's what I had some years ago with 4-18" speakers - but the aperture wasn't constricted - this aperture was used in an early 1950's Audio Engineering article - the builder not only had the double path vent but he also drilled de-Q-ing holes all the way through the front panel and internal panel (both IIRC made of asbestos board :()

the idea popped up now and again with Lafayette Radio's "Eliptoflex" being the most famous of the spinoffs.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
4 vifa's

Hi X,

Can you do a sim with 4 vifa's? See attachment. I'm wondering if there's gain over your original 2 driver kalsonator. Thanks. Screen Shot 2015-01-09 at 11.30.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-01-09 at 11.32.57 AM.png

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
For a small sub, xrk's transflex would keep it all in the family, but I recently read about this intriguing little number on parts express' forum.
Voxel - a mini-sub+

Let me see if I can come up with a 6th order band pass using this Tang Band driver. I have one I am testing now with the no longer available W5-876SE and it sounds quite nice. Very compact at 5 liters to reach 50Hz.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks again for your help. Is there a drawing of xrk's transflex? I couldn't find one.
The Voxel mini sub looks interesting and the driver isn't very expensive :D.
Could someone explain what 6, 8... order means :eek:

I never drew up a sketch. Only described in words and mine isn't a transflex - just posted in the transflex thread. Basically two chambers separated by driver and a vent connecting front and back chamber with a large short vent (an aperture) on the front chamber connected to the outside. It is very much like an RJ vent box that is shown above in Freddi's posts. The front chamber is very small compared to back chamber.

Here is a schematic of a 6th order at its core:
quasisixbandpass_.gif

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I thought about the 4FE35 and im going to put in a book mark for now.
Im looking at a speaker build now that can fill room with excellent tonal balance and higher spl, will probably go multi way.

I was going through this thread and forgot that you built a mini K'nator with dual Vifa's. I guess you have your multiway all figured out by now? :)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi all, first time poster here. I just wanted to show you my version of the single driver mini. I used a 1x8 to go around the edges, with 1/4" plywood for the front, back, and middle parts. I routed grooves in the 1x8 for the insides, front and back. So far only one is done, but it sounds great!

CVUoGh6.jpg

Iym5d8u.jpg

Q0NlkEg.jpg

hrXBMr2.jpg

YEVNBuX.jpg

Downfallat111,
Wow! Those are beautifully made cabinets. Very clever to use grooves and 45deg joints. A true cabinet maker. Glad you like how they sound. Nice color scheme too.
Well done!
:cheers:

great woodwork!!

from a 1960's brochure testimonial: :D

The Karlson has a unique effect on the mid-range. John Karlson calls it "controlled ringing." Whatever it is, the Karlson enclosure definitely alters the mid-frequencies.

Of course, all manufacturers (except Karlson) claim the enclosure should never "color" the reproduction - - the purists are horrified by any mention of coloration.

"The Karlson effect" should then by all accounts be detrimental - but it isn't. The "Karlson Effect" brings "life" to the midrange; it brightens it -- opens it up. Simply, it adds "presence" - -it helps bring the orchestra into the room"

LIST OF INVENTIONS 4/24/50

J.E. (Edward) Karlson

1. ELECTRONIC POTENTIOMETER. A variable element which is capable of linear variations of resistances with infinitesimal mechanical motion yet also have capabilities of broad variations in resistance.
2. CAPLESS DISPENSING TUBE. This device permits the use of toothpaste tubes, etc. without the necessity and bother of removing and replacing the cap after each usage.
3. GEOLOGICAL PROSPECTING SYSTEM. A system for use in the prospecting for oil, minerals, etc. This system may also be used for radar applications.
4. RADAR ANTENNA WITH AUTOMATICALLY VARIABLE BEAM PATTERN. This invention provides a simple means of automatically changing the beam pattern of a radar antenna from a pencil beam to a cosecant beam.
5. DIELECTRIC ANTENNA. This invention provides a technique for designing commercial and military antennas which will have overall dimensions than conventional antennae, and yet have equivalent gain and directivity characteristics.
6. BRUSHLESS DC MOTOR
7. ASHTRAY. An extremely simple design for an ash tray which quickly extinguishes cigarettes.
8. PRECISION DELAY CIRCUIT. This circuit provides a delayed pulse at a precise interval following an initial pulse.
9. CHATTERLESS CONTACTS FOR RELAYS
10. TELEVISION ANTENNA. This invention provides a simple, low cost antenna which can be readily hidden or obscured in the average room and is suitable for both F.M. and television.
11. SLOT ANTENNA. This design provides a slot antenna with broad band matching possibilities.
12. HYBRID WAVEGUIDE JUNCTION. This is a wave guide section which has variable propagation characteristics dependant upon the direction of propagation.
13. R.F. TUNER. a simplified tuner for F.M. and television use.
14. ADVERTISING SIGN. Novel electric sigh with quick change possibilities.
15. LIGHT VALVE FOR TELEVISION PROJECTION AND PICKUP TUBE.
16. ACOUSTIC TRANSDUCER. A novel loudspeaker enclosure with improved matching characteristics and controlled reverberation.
17. FISHING DEVICE
18. TELEPHONE AMPLIFIER WITH SPECIAL ACOUSTIC CHARACTERISTICS

Last edited:
Yeah, nice job! Love the 45 degree miters.

Oddly enough, I mostly listen to my little Karlsonators with CHR70s these days, even though my other speakers have the better 10.3M drivers. They're just so fun to listen too!
Hello Greg , the CHR 70's are nice to look at by themselves. May I ask , you used two per cabinet ? and what scale , material you used ? TKS

Mono BL21DE3 0.4x

I tried this in various rooms in the house today. Works great in kitchen, kids room, or during home improvement projects. When you need good clean background music, stereo is not always desired. Here it is with a Lepai and iPod nano next to one of my FIB's for size comparison.

Hi, i`m a complete newbie looking for a simple project to beginning.

I want do a mono active loudspeaker based on BL21DE3 0.4x idea, using a Visatron FRS8, powered by a mono ta2050 amp.

This could work well? Should use another driver?

Or, maybe, I should go for the 0.53 and two river to get more power as a mono speaker?

I'm a cooker and need some portable decent sound to make things taste better.

Thanks in advance!