Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It's whatever it is on plan I have as drawn - hand drawn. The slot has more impact than shape of larger part. I made it shorter because I wanted to use one piece for the front and needed structural integrity. Making slot longer probably gives better dispersion for higher bass frequencies, at expense of bass extension. I was aiming for more bass extension. It certainly can be an aspect that is easily experimented with in foam core with a razor and more sheets of foam core! :) I will probably start investigating the finer effects of the K aperture shape in Akabak later. So far when switching from lower resolution approximation of slot to higher, I did not see big effect. Having it and not having it is huge though if you have seen earlier posts.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
There was a request to see if a scaled down K'nator can work with the Pioneer A11's (4.5 in full range) drivers. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/223313-foam-core-board-speaker-enclosures-194.html#post3568719 The results are in the Foam Core thread, and freq resp is below if you are interested. It looks like it can work with dual drivers in a 0.67X enclosure with vent scaled additional 0.9X.

361420d1374410597-foam-core-board-speaker-enclosures-karlsonator-0.67x-dual-ac11e80-gm-freq-1m.png

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Mini K'nator as Mono Radio/MP3 Speaker

I tried this in various rooms in the house today. Works great in kitchen, kids room, or during home improvement projects. When you need good clean background music, stereo is not always desired. Here it is with a Lepai and iPod nano next to one of my FIB's for size comparison.

Attachments

• Karlsonator-mp3-player.jpg
    Karlsonator-mp3-player.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 2,084
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi xrk971,

Post #60: "...the K panel needs the brace..."

What is the size and location of the brace?

Regards,

I use a 0.75 in wide x 7 in long strip of foam core located on the front panel at the same location as the top of the driver panel (where the inflection point is). The brace is glued to the inside of the wing panel with hot melt glue in a perpendicular fashion (not flat) so that it provides added stiffness. Are you building it as we speak?

Hi xrk971,

Thanks for the additional information, I'll add it to my drawing. I have not started building anything yet, as I'm still in the "research" mode (when I have the time to). I'll need to find the little drivers, and a local supply for the foam core board.

By the way, what do you think about the foam core insulation boards they sell @ Home Depot (R-Matte Plus: 4'x8'x1/2"). And, before I forget it: have you had a chance to take a look at your PM, I send you a first stab at an AkAbak script (it's for another enclosure, but I'm just working on the principle right now).

Regards,

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Tb46,
The home insulation stuff works well. Get the XPS stuff and peel of the clear plastic film before gluing. Bcmbob had success with it on the Decware DNA horn. The paper faced foam core is cheapest at Dollar store. Also available from art store or Michaels but more expensive as higher quality.

I don't have any PM's from you. Can you resend?

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I know the Vifa TC9FD's are a little hard to find right now. An alternate driver that is almost a drop in replacement is the Visaton FRS8. The slightly higher Qts will give a bit more of a bass peak overshoot but not a big deal. The baffle cutout is 2.83 in vs the TC9FD's 3.0 in - you can always enlarge hole later for TC9FD. It's only $10.38 ea.
Visaton FRS8-4 3.3" Full-Range Speaker 4 Ohm 292-522 4 ohm wire in series for 8 ohms. Use two 8 ohms wired in parallel for 4 ohms to get more power out from lower voltage amp. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=292-524

Hello XRK971

Have you plaid them with big orchestra?
I am asking because I made a pair of scaled XK4, they paly beautifully about anything but struggle on big bands.
I thought it could have been due to their small size but my Rogers LS3/5A, which are smaller are better on this regard.

XK4-copie1.jpg