Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th July 2013, 09:27 PM   #21
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

I'd like to see that too as I have AN8 stamped frame - - -Greg B's Karlsonator 8 seems like it would be a good size vs the Karlsonator 12

Karlsonator8 plan https://plus.google.com/photos/10054...49816297868412
Old 17th July 2013, 11:49 PM   #22
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Freddi,
Looking at overall dimensions, it seems that the smaller SKx's are scaled down Karlsonators to first order. Rather than re-enter the entire geometry of an SK8, or SK6.5 I think it will be sufficient to scale down the 12 in K'nator. I have added ability to scale top channel vent and back chamber volume independently so there is flexibility there. I typically play with those to tune the response with any given driver to get as deep and flat as possible. I will run the AN Super 8 as soon as I get to my computer again.
X
Old 18th July 2013, 12:09 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

fantastic -- thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 12:46 AM   #24
Greg B is offline Greg B  United States
diyAudio Member

Just FYI, the Karlsonator 8 is slightly 'higher aspect' than the full size Karlsonator. This worked out a little better in my sims, using the FE206EN for the driver.

The Karlsonator 6 is more or less scaled down proportionally from the Karlsonator (12). This seemed to work the best for the drivers I plugged into my model (the FE166EN and FF165WK).
Old 18th July 2013, 01:05 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

a Karlsonator "10" might be coolest for me - use the cheap and cheerful Beta10cx and ASD1001 - plus I've two neo P-Audio 10cx
Old 18th July 2013, 01:13 AM   #26
Squeak is offline Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

WRT directivity, there's got to be a catch. :-) Same thing with the diffusor slot mentioned in this thread:
slot over speaker to offset increasing directvity?
I did some experimentation a couple of years ago and came to the conclusion that the colouration was too strong for it to be a worthwhile avenue to go down.
Maybe the Karlson slot is different in that it spreads the filtering and resonance over a larger range.
But still, there's got to be a reason that not everyone is using slots of either kind in front of FR drivers.

X, what do you think the pros and cons are compared to your other speakers?
Old 18th July 2013, 02:44 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Squeak,
The K slot is something that I can see in my models as having a significant effect on the dispersion of the high bass and midrange, and I think it may negatively impact the high freq on a full range driver. The K slot or aperture, as it should be called is varying in width and this affects a broad range of frequencies notably in dispersion but also in the smoothness of the bass response. Just look at the sims of the FF225WK in the Karlsonator. I have not yet seen another sim in Akabak (which has no damping to smooth things out) that natively has a flat bass response from 30 Hz to 250 Hz. Also, not only is it flat, it is efficient and reaches far, much farther than a simple round or slot port can on a MLTL. He next difference is how well coupled the impedance of the air column is to the cone, the movement is very small and controlled. So those are all the differences you can see on paper based on the sims which are based on physics.

So how does it sound? I will say that I do not yet have a stereo pair, so they full effect is not there. But what I have heard from a single speaker really impresses me. There is a fullness to the sound that is very natural and un-strained, easy yet dynamic and powerful when the music calls for it. Even at low volume, the bass can be heard and the sound is still balanced. Vocals are great, but can sometimes be I think a bit clouded sometimes, due to the fact that there is an obscuration in front of the cone. But for many songs, it sounds fantastic. I don't know if you have had a chance to listen to the sound clips I posted. What do you think? Keep in mind that it comes from a pair of 3.5 in drivers in a foam core box that weighs about a pound. I think that of all the speakers I have built, this ranks up there as one of the best for drums, bass guitar, bowed bass, classic rock, vocals in alto, mezzo soprano, tenor, jazz, and most classic rock with guitar, bass, and drums.

The sound also feels like it reaches over a wider area, feels more uniform, that is the sweet spot is very wide. The sims back this up as 70 deg cone angle vs 35 deg for standard open face radiator in MLTL.

Given that the speaker is almost trivial to build as a fun test in foam core, and will set you back hardly any money ($26), you should try it and see for yourself what the sound is like. And if you disagree, I would like to hear all opinions.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
X
Old 18th July 2013, 03:15 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

re: vocal quality, XRK971's foam core Karlson sounds a lot better than many praised systems on YouTube - I'm surprised by the bass too. Always listen with headphones when judging recordings of speakers. X- did you use something like a Zoom H2 to gather the sounds? where can they be hosted?
Old 18th July 2013, 03:46 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Yes, I used a Zoom H4 recorded to high bit rate mp3, then down sampled in audacity to 128 kbits to fit on upload to this site. I was wondering what others thought of the sound clips - you are the first to comment, glad they sound good. What do you mean where can they be hosted? Are you suggesting I upload to Youtube?
Old 18th July 2013, 04:05 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petervr View Post
Hi xrk971,

If you have the time, would you be able to sim the Audio Nirvana Super 8 in the full size Karlsonator, please?

Cheers

Peter V.
The AN Super8 works quite nicely in the full size 12 in K'nator. It has a high rising response that you may want to tame with some BSC or EQ'ing, otherwise it might be too bright or shouty.

I also tried constricting the top channel to 0.5X and that really helped flatten the response out (second plot). Third plot is impedance, fourth is cone displacement. All for 0.5X choked case with 1 watt in at 1 m.
Attached Images
File Type: png Knator-ANSuper8-Freq-1m.png (20.3 KB, 577 views)
File Type: png Knator-ANSuper8-Freq-1m-0.5X-choke.png (19.9 KB, 566 views)
File Type: png Knator-ANSuper8-Impedance-1m-0.5X-choke.png (26.6 KB, 561 views)
File Type: png Knator-ANSuper8-Displ-0.5X-choke.png (27.1 KB, 558 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!