Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2018, 10:59 PM   #2821
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

The mini Karlsonators will sound really nice on a good single ended Class A amp. You are in for a treat. I would recommend making it out of foam core for the best sound as wood builds have not proven to be good for this design. Veneering the foam might be an alternative though.
Old 15th June 2018, 11:43 PM   #2822
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

I haven't made a recording of my speakers in a while but here is what the 0.40x Karlsonator with 3FE25 sounds like. This is recorded with Zoom H2. Change the filename extension from .asc to .mp3 to listen. (the .asc extension allows a max 1.8MB file upload).
Attached Files
File Type: asc Million-Miles-3FE25-4ohm-Karlsonator.asc (1.72 MB, 12 views)
Old 16th June 2018, 12:01 AM   #2823
Kokanee is offline Kokanee  Mexico
diyAudio Member

Once I get back to Canada and get my shop in order, I am going to try to investigate this foam vs wood conundrum. The Karlsons were all made of wood or MDF years ago, Planet 10 and others are making small speakers out of wood, plywood, MDF etc. Tons of builders on the PE forum are making small apeakers from plywood, MDF, and other.

It makes no engineering sense that the mini Karsonators cannot be made of wood and filled with appropriate stuffing to make them sound good. (I was an engineer, but now I am a novice electronics guy, looking to learn and experiment).

Does anybody know what makes the foam enclosures suit these drivers. I can not see the foam being reflective and I can believe that the foam absorbs a lot of the rear wave.

I am interested in finding an answer, as I like to work with wood.

Maybe we need a new thread for this research so as not to hijack xrk's thread.

Help from moderators?

Myles
Old 16th June 2018, 12:11 AM   #2824
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

I think the Karlson aperture, when made of foam core acts like tonewood. The Karlsons are in some ways resonant cavity devices perhaps and need to be able to re-radiate the sound. If a guitar or violin was made of B.B. ply or MDF, it would not sound very good.
Old 16th June 2018, 12:42 AM   #2825
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

I think the rather thin foamcore in the vital midrange is fairly acoustically transparent vs plywood and may "de-Q cavity resonances vs stiffer and more acoustically "opaque" wood. You sure don't want a high Q front cavity resonance.

The smallest regular original Karlson was the little K8, tuned to about 95Hz. K12 tuned low 60.s, K15 upper 40's and X15 (and Acoustic control) 115BK, mid 50's.

K12 and K15 with the right drivers need no damping materials in their front chambers to sound good. I've only heard the little KR5 "Rocket" with its original table radio quality speaker. Carl had made that type with car coax and K-tube over the dome tweeter which would literally "pipe the highs out" The clam/klam, asymmetric-projector variety of Karlson had the speaker placed further from the aperture than the Ultra-Fidelity series, and can have more "slap-echo" artifacts.

I'm curious as to effects of front cavity shape in K. I've heard effects in dispersion from reflector differences, and perhaps a bit leery about highly cupped chambers.
Old 16th June 2018, 09:16 PM   #2826
weltersys is offline weltersys  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
I think the Karlson aperture, when made of foam core acts like tonewood. The Karlsons are in some ways resonant cavity devices perhaps and need to be able to re-radiate the sound. If a guitar or violin was made of B.B. ply or MDF, it would not sound very good.
Kay, an American instrument manufacturer, made bass and cellos using plywood, the back surface, hard maple, the front surface Spruce. The second ply was basswood, third was birch, fourth was basswood and the fifth most innermost ply was birch.

They sound pretty good, not the best instruments I've heard, but more consistent than solid wood instruments.

I don't think foam core will ever replace wood or plywood in instrument making ;^).
Old 16th June 2018, 09:55 PM   #2827
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

I briefly had a blonde Kay bass - robust sound - loaned it to a friend - never got it back - same friend got my 2nd wife - really missed the bass at the time

how about those aluminum bass violas? IIRC they were ok for some stuff

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD'sHide this!Advertise here!