Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2018, 02:06 PM   #2491
yianemma is offline yianemma
diyAudio Member

I finished them!!! K aperture is glued and sound is awsome. Much better now, xrk thank you again. Very rich bass, pleasant and relaxing. The only thing I noticed is that voices seem to come from a tunnel or a cave, but only in some songs.

Right now I am building a temporary case from the spare foamboard for my tda.

For now the visatons stay in the karlsonators. Needles need sanding amd painting.

Soon I ll go for the dual 3fe25 in 0.53x.1518620296527.jpg
Old 14th February 2018, 05:56 PM   #2492
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Yianemma,
Nice work! If you line the inside of the front chamber with thick (real) felt (sides, back of K aperture, and angled panel above the driver), it will really help reduce the tunnel sound effect. Alternative to felt is BASF acoustic sound abatement foam made of open cell reticulated melamine foam. This foam can also be found as "Magic Erasor" pads for household cleaning of stains on walls and appliances.

60 BULK PACK Cleaning Magic Sponge Eraser Melamine Cleaner multi-functional foam | eBay

Prices from China are unbelievable - qnty 100 for $5 shipping included.

100x Multiuse Magic Sponge Eraser Kitchen Cleaning Melamine Foam Cleaner Healthy | eBay

It absorbs sound better than anything else I have tried. You can take a sharp utlility knife and cut to thinner sheets. Cuts easily a hot knife through butter.

Last edited by xrk971; 14th February 2018 at 05:58 PM.
Old 14th February 2018, 06:42 PM   #2493
jwjarch is offline jwjarch  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm also considering building the dual 3fe25 in 0.53x for our living room. I'd like to dress the boxes up a bit. Has anyone tried a wood veneer over the foam board yet? Or should I go with thin plywood (aircraft grade or underlayment type) and veneer over that? May have to experiment to see what sounds best, unless anyone has any opinions???
Old 14th February 2018, 07:11 PM   #2494
davetest is offline davetest
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Yianemma,
Nice work! If you line the inside of the front chamber with thick (real) felt (sides, back of K aperture, and angled panel above the driver), it will really help reduce the tunnel sound effect. Alternative to felt is BASF acoustic sound abatement foam made of open cell reticulated melamine foam. This foam can also be found as "Magic Erasor" pads for household cleaning of stains on walls and appliances.

60 BULK PACK Cleaning Magic Sponge Eraser Melamine Cleaner multi-functional foam | eBay

Prices from China are unbelievable - qnty 100 for $5 shipping included.

100x Multiuse Magic Sponge Eraser Kitchen Cleaning Melamine Foam Cleaner Healthy | eBay

It absorbs sound better than anything else I have tried. You can take a sharp utlility knife and cut to thinner sheets. Cuts easily a hot knife through butter.
@XRK971 can you suggest what thickness to cut the magic sponge foam to?
Old 14th February 2018, 07:46 PM   #2495
Lingwendil is offline Lingwendil  United States
Now with high-fructose ASSAULT-gluten!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddJester View Post
I still have my x0.4 files. It would be easy to re-scale it to x0.53 and make a new drawing. I can also make it inches or mm very easily. The k-aperature probably wouldn't fit on a single page anymore at 1:1. And I don't know if score-and-fold would still make sense, but I can give it a try.

Would anyone be interested in that?

Edit: Oh, looks like I already started. Worth completing?
If you make .53x score and fold plans you'll be my hero
Old 14th February 2018, 07:57 PM   #2496
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetest View Post
@XRK971 can you suggest what thickness to cut the magic sponge foam to?
Slice to half thickness or about 8mm to 12mm depending on sponge size. For regions like immediately adjacent to back of driver use full thickness.
Old 14th February 2018, 08:02 PM   #2497
MuddJester is offline MuddJester  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingwendil View Post
If you make .53x score and fold plans you'll be my hero
Lol, sounds like there's a desire for it. I'll do it.

Since I'm not planning a build for myself right now, I'd love some input (to help with all the minor design decisions that goes into something like this). Should I do score-and-fold plans, as much as makes sense? How should I make the aperture diagrams (multiple sheets, larger sheet, scaled down image, any of these would have dimensions of course)? I'll do two versions, one in mm one in inches.

Any other requests? If I'm going to spend the time on this, I might as well do a good one.

XRK, do you know what the best aperture starting width, depth (straight portion), and distance down from the top is?
Old 14th February 2018, 08:25 PM   #2498
MikeV is offline MikeV  United States
diyAudio Member

Thankyou Michael!

So glad that your arm was so easily twisted!!

I'm perfectly happy with metric dimensions...we North Americans should get in step and recognize the Benefit of a More Universal Language! (and milimeters nudges us so gently toward tighter tolerances)

I don't have much more to offer here other than the 20"x30" board might be the most easily sourced...

Let me close with

YOU'RE THE MAN!!!
Old 15th February 2018, 05:24 PM   #2499
Lingwendil is offline Lingwendil  United States
Now with high-fructose ASSAULT-gluten!
diyAudio Member

Well, just got my tax return, so going to start working on the 0.53x scale speakers. I'm going to use these primarily for music, maybe some home theater mains as well. If I need 8 ohms total, what would be my best bet in the $20-30 per speaker range? I was thinking either two per side of the TC9FD00-04 in series, or one of the PA-130 per side would work. The only thing I'm unsure of is how the 4 ohm TC9's compare to the 8 ohm versions we all know and love... Is there anything else around that price range from places like Parts Express that would be a good idea? I even was thinking maybe four of the TG9 since they are still $9 each over at Madisound.

Keep in mind I do tube amps primarily, so I have to stick to 8 ohm for the most part. 16 ohm total I can work with if I have to, but limits my options too much really... Although it gives a good excuse to build another amplifier i suppose

Partially related, but has anybody had experience with the TC10FG00-04? It looks like a potentially interesting driver for use in a 0.6x or so dual driver build, or maybe a 0.5x single...
Old 15th February 2018, 05:28 PM   #2500
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Go with Qnty 2 x 3FE25 in 16ohms wired in parallel for 8ohms nominal. It will give you 97dB at 2.83v speakers which are very suitable for fleawatt tube amps. The 3FE25 sound great too and $19 ea. This was Skylar's setup and he loves it. I believe him.

FaitalPRO 3FE25 3" Professional Full-Range Woofer 16 Ohm

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD'sHide this!Advertise here!