Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2017, 11:23 PM   #2331
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

That’s open cell acoustic foam. Perfectly fine. I think you are good to go.
Old 4th December 2017, 12:26 AM   #2332
silasmellor is offline silasmellor  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Great, I will get stuff to experiment with the bsc then. Thanks!
Old 10th December 2017, 04:02 AM   #2333
GraphicCanuk is offline GraphicCanuk  Canada
diyAudio Member

Just made mine. I used the drawing that has them 6 1/2 inches rather then six. I combined ideas, added some of my own. One of the things I did was use the white foam core for the sides and top/bottom and black for the all internal and front. I used 200 sand paper to sand the surface slightly and rubber mat on the inside bottom and back 1/4 way up. Not sure if this makes a differences, but the black is not as smooth as the white foam core. I used 1 oz of PE acousta stuffing (usual places mentioned), felt on the back of the K panel. I tested before glueing it tight to come up with mine. Well no boomy bass on mine. All I did was laugh as these sound crazy amazing. Bass vibrates my desk, and highs are well high, mids are great. Sound stage I love. This is my desktop system and I run off my Mac, but I use my USB headphone DAC, then that goes to my Lepai T amp. A lot of my files are FLACS 24/96 studio master but not all. But all sound great, very happy with these Karlsonator"s!
Old 10th December 2017, 08:38 AM   #2334
bonjonno is offline bonjonno  United States
diyAudio Member

Cool GraphicCanuk. What drivers did you use?
Old 10th December 2017, 10:25 AM   #2335
diyAudio Member

GraphicCanuk,
Excellent news! Do you have build photos showing internal construction? Sounds like it was a good idea to add the runner mat. What driver and what size Karlsonator is this? Guessing TC9 and 0.40x?

Old 10th December 2017, 02:57 PM   #2336
diyAudio Member

Default Additional insight

Yes I used the TC9 and it was the .04 version only at 6 1/2 inch wide. I also added a second layer to the front of the K panel inset it 5mm around the outer edge so it inset. I took my time on these and also sealed all the inside edges of the enclosure as well, when I saw no light peaking through I was happy. Think this also helped the lower end. I have a few images of the build, but not the whole process, unfortunately. You will notice two white stripes at the top two corners, that is acoustic caulk. I cut the wrong way for the fold, but this fixed it fine.
Old 11th December 2017, 12:24 AM   #2337
diyAudio Member

Looks like a fine neat job. That’s nice high quality thick paper foam core you are using. The kind they use for backing professional displays. Did you build this in your office? No sawdust to worry about!
Old 11th December 2017, 02:03 AM   #2338
diyAudio Member

Thanks XRK. I appreciate your design and efforts a lot so a pat on the back! Your very observant also, I am a graphic designer/photographer by trade so I have this stuff available readily. I thought it was cool that I could build speakers that I could use in my office, with something I use daily! And yes, built them in the home office, cannot wait till clients and colleagues hear these puppies! Jaws will drop....
Old 11th December 2017, 02:49 AM   #2339
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicCanuk View Post
Thanks XRK. I appreciate your design and efforts a lot so a pat on the back! Your very observant also, I am a graphic designer/photographer by trade so I have this stuff available readily. I thought it was cool that I could build speakers that I could use in my office, with something I use daily! And yes, built them in the home office, cannot wait till clients and colleagues hear these puppies! Jaws will drop....
I wasn’t trying to brag about my observation skills, I just know that the foam core you use is about $10 a sheet vs the $1 store stuff. It makes really nice speakers for that special foam core build. I see a large wide bed plotter/printer along with a kitty litter box

I love the midrange the most from this speaker. Although the bass is very impressive for how small it is.

Last edited by xrk971; 11th December 2017 at 02:52 AM.
Old 11th December 2017, 08:29 AM   #2340
davetest is offline davetest
diyAudio Member

@xrk971. The 0.4s that GraphicCanuk built are 6.5". Do you have any info on expected performance vs 6" wide?

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD'sHide this!Advertise here!