Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th September 2017, 08:08 PM   #2111
twocents is offline twocents  South Africa
diyAudio Member

X, I see the 3FE25 comes in a 4 ohm as well. If you put two 4 ohm drivers in series, what happens to the sensitivity?

I am asking in view of the ACA amp that might not cope well with 4 ohm speakers.
Old 7th September 2017, 12:23 AM   #2112
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Drops, so not what you want. I bet it drives 4ohms just fine - those beefy IRFP240's we have there... Maybe distortion goes up since this is a SE Class A amp?
Old 10th September 2017, 01:14 AM   #2113
diyAudio Member

Check out this new 0.53x dual 3FE25 from Skylar88. Should be good for 97dB at 2.83v!

Click the image to open in full size.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...onator-053-pdf
Old 11th September 2017, 05:56 AM   #2114
jwicaksana is offline jwicaksana  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Sweet 97dB!
Even with 1x TC9FD in 0.4 I get them to play pretty loud.
What is the estimated efficiency in this configuration? Thank you.
Old 11th September 2017, 10:47 AM   #2115
diyAudio Member

Two 91dB drivers in parallel is +6dB at same drive voltage. It is using double the power since 4ohms.
Old 11th September 2017, 02:20 PM   #2116
Skylar88 is offline Skylar88  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I'm not after extremely loud volume. It's for personal listening in a lounge - at decent sound levels, but loud enough to appreciate every aspect of the recordings (flac).

Thus, my aim is to get the best quality sound (within the constraints of the ACA's 5/6W per channel). Therefore, I need your honest opinion, X: Would 4ohms or 8ohms give me that? I.o.w. 2x16ohms parallel or 2x8ohms parallel?
Old 11th September 2017, 03:50 PM   #2117
diyAudio Member

Both setups will probably work well. In the end, the choice of dual 16ohms for nominal 8ohms is closer to the nominal impedance rating of the ACA. Since the ACA is a single ended Class A topology, it's distortion will be directly related to the speaker impedance and using nominal 8ohm will result in lower harmonic distortion for the same voltage output. The 4ohm version will be twice as loud for the same voltage drive level. The Qts of the parallel 16ohm is higher and this may actually improve bass extension. So if you think that 15dB gain of the ACA is enough for you given your source.

So I guess upon careful weighing of pros and cons I recommend the dual 16ohm version - you can't really go wrong with it given your stated preference over sound quality vs ultimate high SPL.

Sound good? Now you can order the drivers.

I do recall that I have a pair of 3FE22 (Nd magnet) in 16ohms. They are lovely sounding drivers and very smooth.
Old 11th September 2017, 04:41 PM   #2118
Skylar88 is offline Skylar88  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
... So I guess upon careful weighing of pros and cons I recommend the dual 16ohm version - you can't really go wrong with it given your stated preference over sound quality vs ultimate high SPL.

Sound good? Now you can order the drivers.

I do recall that I have a pair of 3FE22 (Nd magnet) in 16ohms. They are lovely sounding drivers and very smooth.

Thank you very much, X.

I feel much happier now, because even with my limited knowledge, that is what I thought would be the better choice for me.

Last edited by Skylar88; 11th September 2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12th September 2017, 08:18 PM   #2119
diyAudio Member

You are welcome, looking forward to hearing your listening impressions and photos.
Old 13th September 2017, 04:29 PM   #2120
bonjonno is offline bonjonno  United States
diyAudio Member

Default MK 0.41X in studio

Here's an update on the MK 0.41X's that I built for my buddy's studio. They were installed about three weeks ago. To my ears they are miles ahead of the Event monitors that are already there, especially for mixing purposes. They won't play as loud, but I prefer less levels anyway to combat ear fatigue. The studio owner's initial comment "wow, they are really bassy" which I suppose is true considering their size. But they do not produce a bloated bass. He subsequently used them to check a mix and was very impressed. The real plus is that the midrange on the MK's is very clean and easy to differentiate instruments. On the Events it's just a big hodgepodge mush of guitars, keys, vocals, drums and cymbals that make it torture (for me anyway) to get a good mix. There is a ceramic tile on each MK to weigh it down (helps with the upper bass region ~125Hz) as well as a second front wing on each (liquid nailed onto the original wing) for the same reason. These are a second set; the first set I use daily at my computer for hours on end, going on two months now. I haven't listened to music this much in years. They are totally enjoyable. I am about to embark on a set of 0.53X with the Dayton 5" PA full range to use in the main listening room; have them go head to head with a 20 year old scanspeak two way

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's-sanc-mk-0-4-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg will-sanc-MK-0.4.jpg (175.4 KB, 2106 views)

Last edited by bonjonno; 13th September 2017 at 04:37 PM. Reason: photo won't open

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD'sHide this!Advertise here!