Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th July 2013, 02:45 PM   #11
IG81 is offline IG81  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Which driver were you looking to run in a full size K'nator? The FE166EN? I have done that (in a scaled down one), a Kappa 12A, and an FF225WK. I can do any driver - just let me know. I finally spent some time consolidating my AkAbak driver database so that I can quickly copy and paste any one of 55 drivers that I have sim'd so far.
FF225WK could be fun for me to see in a full-size K'ator, but a 12" with strong motor could be better and in line with what freddi's interested in. I mainly want to see where the impedance valleys land, which should be invariable with choice of driver.

IG
Old 17th July 2013, 03:10 PM   #12
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

The sim for the FF225WK is in the Kicks Butt Thread and I also showed that constricting the top channel gets the frequency down to 30 Hz.
A Speaker that Kicks Butt in Large Spaces
Click the image to open in full size.

I bet you have always wished your FF225WK could do this in a Karlson!

Last edited by xrk971; 17th July 2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 17th July 2013, 03:25 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Bob,
If you want some deep bass and want to go with the NS525, scale the top channel by 0.25X (sounds very small) but still manages to produce 90 dB at 40 Hz. And to top it off, the flat bass shelf goes all the way 250 Hz. That is pretty wide bandwidth for any speaker. To hear the low string on a 4 string bass will be pretty cool, all the way to 250 Hz.

Here is the sim.
Attached Images
File Type: png Karlsonator-0.6X-NS525-Freq-1m-Choke-0.25X.png (31.2 KB, 698 views)
Old 17th July 2013, 03:26 PM   #14
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi xrk971,

I have a few drivers on the shelf that might be of interest in a Karlsonator: the Fostex FE206e (8" NOS) and Aurasound NS525-255-8A (5.25" @ Madisound for @3.60 ea.). Would those show any promise in a simulation? Also, could you share the section of your AkAbak script that describes the front chamber/coupling slot? I cannot figure out how to enter that into AkAbak.

Regards,
Old 17th July 2013, 03:36 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

TB46,
The NS525 is posted above. The sims for the FE206E are below. First plot is full size Karlsonator with 1.0X scale on top channel. Next plot is with 0.35X choke factor to bring tuning down - it reaches the 30 Hz range. Fourth plot is impedance and last is displacement of the cone. It looks like it can work but may sound bright or 'shouty' as some people call it.
Attached Images
File Type: png Knator-FE206E-Freq-1m.png (33.9 KB, 696 views)
File Type: png Knator-FE206E-Freq-1m-Choke-0.35X.png (33.2 KB, 687 views)
File Type: png Knator-FE206E-Impedance-Choke-0.35X.png (26.5 KB, 65 views)
File Type: png Knator-FE206E-Displ-Choke-0.35X.png (26.8 KB, 44 views)
Old 17th July 2013, 03:45 PM   #16
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi xrk971,

Thanks for the quick response. I'll take a look at it as soon as I have time (all heck broke out here, oh well it's the oilfield).

Not even a hint at how the script needs to be arranged? :-) I guess that's the hint.

Regards,
Old 17th July 2013, 05:54 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

TB46,
I can help you with how the script goes, I just didn't have time. It is described in earlier posts on the Karlson thread here (KARLSON). Basically, I fitted the Karlson aperture curve to a non dimensional function as y= f(x) for x[0,1], and y[0,1]. The function is given by Y=0.974X^2+0.00874X+0.0207. This is for X=0,1 and Y=0,1. Simply scale function for any slot based on max height and width at Y(X=1).
Using that function, I can then apply scaling of any arbitrary K slot final width and length, and also an offset which determines initial gap width. Having this function, use to specify the width and height of a series of rectangular ports (vents) located along the front. The width will be given by f(x)*Y_scale, the width height will equal front panel height/number_vents. I used 9 vents for the front K-aperture. I tried 14 and found negligible difference. So step through the 9 vents and adjust the port width for each successive one according to the equation. You need to model the front chamber as a series of waveguides (following the cross sectional area profile of the front chamber). I chose 9 because that is how many segments were required to model the front chamber to include all the expansions, contractions, vent tubes, etc. The distance of each segment actually determines the height of the vent. At the node connecting each waveguide segment on the front chamber, connect that node to a duct leading to a front radiator associated with that duct. See diagram here
The tricky part is to code each duct radiator so that it is appropriately physically located in the correct place on the front panel relative to the driver position. Also, you need to specify the extent of the baffle width and height at the position of the duct vent radiator. All this is rather tedious coding and much of it is manually done. I figured out how to link it all together to the non-dimensional X and Y positions of the individual Karlson ducts.
I hope that helps. Think about it some and let me know if you have questions.
Regards,
X
Old 17th July 2013, 07:49 PM   #18
stevieg is offline stevieg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Interesting X, very interesting. I like paralleled full rangers, so may try this with Visaton FRS8s, a good cheap 3.3 inch little fellow. I have experience of them, so know what they can do.

Cheers Steve
Old 17th July 2013, 08:27 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Steve,
The FRS8 can work very well doubled-up in a 0.47X scale Karlsonator with the vent scaled further by 0.7X. Pretty good bass extension and good impedance curve. First is 0.53X scale, second is 0.47 scale, third is impedance, fourth is cone displacement.
Looks like fun.
Old 17th July 2013, 09:10 PM   #20
petervr is offline petervr  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Hi xrk971,

If you have the time, would you be able to sim the Audio Nirvana Super 8 in the full size Karlsonator, please?

Cheers

Peter V.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg an8superspecs.jpg (296.1 KB, 136 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!