Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

Kking,
Sorry, you are right - I was reading my own text incorrectly. The proper size is as the post title states:

0.44x/0.55xW K'nator with FE103

Kind of wide and short aspect ratio. If you tried on a 0.50x scale and it sounds great, use it!

Thanks for the clarification.

My issue is that the .50 I built houses both drivers. I'm trying to see what the proper size is if I split the pair for use as separate Left and Right speakers. This build was strictly for experience, and not destined for long-term use.

The other thought was to make Cornu out of them, on a 20x20" scale. Any thoughts as to how well suited these drivers are to that configuration?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
No, those 10in flat Dayton’s are used in a front-loaded folded bass horn topology of my own design.

I don’t think Karlsonator is most efficient for a subwoofer. Compact subs that are really efficient and powerful while compact are slot loaded band pass designs. A pair of economical car audio 12in Alpine SWRs or similar Infinity’s will reach 40Hz and 132dB easy. I have several threads in subwoofer forum describing them.

PP Slot Loaded Sub with Alpine SWR 12D2

Could one of you guys please check the metric dimensions for the 0,4x with 3FE25? Somehow they seem a bit off :confused:

Attachments

• K'nator 3FE252.png
    K'nator 3FE252.png
    219.6 KB · Views: 624
  • K'nator 3FE25.png
    K'nator 3FE25.png
    276 KB · Views: 605
spongeman - re:0.71X - if asking about a cabinet - there is the Karlsonator 6 which should work well enough with Foxtex (I ran a de-whizzered FE164)- I have the old prototype loaded with L.Cao F6 (qts ~0.7). When I first tried it, I didn't realize the stub needed damping material - it did not sound good empty :eek:

Karlsonator6 plan

http://i.imgur.com/xp0P8go.png

a Karlsonator6 per GregB's plan tunes to about 60Hz
XDi0ZnG.gif

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thank you, X! To me, it looked somehow squat, but if you say it's fine, I'll give it a go.

Regarding the screws, I'm afraid I couldn't access the top ones, but we'll see.

Good point if you want to make the K aperure non-removable and just stick a screwdriver there. It may be tricky to negotiate the K aperture to put driver in though - it is possible as I have done it.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
$55.04 buys Eight shipped - there's a coupon in theory to further reduce the price by 15% but could not find a place to enter it in the test of the checkout - perhaps after the payment info is entered (?)

btw - the full size Karlsonator ("Karlsonator12" by GregB) works well with 12lta, and should work with a number of 12 and 10 drivers. Fb on mine measures ~37Hz so keep that in mind.

Last edited: