OK to set full range drivers off-center? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th July 2013, 06:33 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Red face OK to set full range drivers off-center?

I cut the baffles for a couple bookshelf speakers that will house a pair of Fostex FE206en drivers. I mis-measured and the speakers are 3/4" off-center. Should I recut the baffles, or is this a negligible miscalculation?

The baffles are 12"W x 18"H if that factors in at all.
Old 15th July 2013, 06:48 PM   #2
evanc is offline evanc  United States
diyAudio Member

Location: New Jersey. About 1 hour from NYC and 1 min. from the beach
I wouldn't worry about it...
Check this out for more info. You might find out it was happy mistake.
Home of the Edge
Evan
Old 15th July 2013, 06:51 PM   #3
zman01 is online now zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

fingersoccer,

Some designs have the drivers deliberarely off center - to improve imaging and reduce baffle edge defraction IIRC. For a driver the size of the FE206en the sonic benefits might not be much from 3/4" offset placement, but there should be no harm. If you are happy with the looks should be good to go.
Old 15th July 2013, 07:10 PM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Zia - I think a more appropriate description of reasoning for off center driver location would be to stagger edge diffraction over a wider range of frequencies - we could even discuss the value of using magic / "golden" ratios - no, let's not
Old 17th July 2013, 11:19 AM   #5
zman01 is online now zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Zia - I think a more appropriate description of reasoning for off center driver location would be to stagger edge diffraction over a wider range of frequencies
Thank you for providing the more accurate/correct reasoning.

Quote:
- we could even discuss the value of using magic / "golden" ratios - no, let's not
Old 17th July 2013, 01:35 PM   #6
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Zia - I think a more appropriate description of reasoning for off center driver location would be to stagger edge diffraction over a wider range of frequencies - we could even discuss the value of using magic / "golden" ratios - no, let's not
Oh, why not? Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess, right?

Correct, our hearing is such that many reflections get summed by our internal processor to sound as one, so ideally we want the driver offset in both planes in a golden or acoustic ratio to smooth out the speaker's in room response a bit.

On small baffles this 'tweak' is subtle at best and probably can only be noticed in a near-field app, but larger drivers and especially large baffles can sound obviously better, so this should always be done with dipoles.

Note that baffles setting on, and perpendicular to, a reflective surface should ideally include this 'mirror' image in the calculation. Tilting the baffle back > ~6 degs will negate/average out the reflection enough to ignore it though, same as is done with room walls to rapidly decay ‘slap’ echo; that or just space it up a bit to break this acoustic ‘connection’.

GM
Old 17th July 2013, 03:49 PM   #7
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

OK to set full range drivers off-center?

there is no better way!

Hide this!Advertise here!