Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th July 2013, 08:23 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default markaudio 10.3 MLTL

hi all,
I didn't get if the designs (MLTL) available for the markaudio 10.2 will fit the new 10.3 or not.
And if not, is there anything available?

Thanks all
AC
Old 12th July 2013, 08:48 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Pensils for Alpair 10.3 & Alpair 10p
Old 12th July 2013, 09:29 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

ah wow.
thanks a lot.
I wonder, in many MLTL there's a plywood layer, running vertically in the middle of the case, with holes big and small..
What's its function and why some designs have it and some have not?

Thanks again
AC
Old 12th July 2013, 09:50 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I think its main purpose is to couple the panel with the most vibration (front/baffle) to the rear panel. It also supports the driver reasonably firmly at the magnet, which also helps transmit energy away from the front baffle. I believe the lads place it slightly off centre to split the front and back panels into uneven smaller sections. This creates 4 dissimilar resonances at higher frequencies. A good thing, and also creates dissimilar internal standing waves in the cabinet.

Apparently this brace can take as long to make as the cabinet itself! Up to you. I'm sure the designers have more to add on the subject.

Dean
Old 12th July 2013, 10:06 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Correct. It's 'just' a brace, which technically are more effective if longitudinally mounted, and can also provide some side-benefits with some drivers of grounding frame resonances. Not really an issue in the MA units, with their polymer frames which are already very well damped.

Given the higher than usual levels of damping in the pensils, standing waves are pretty much a non-issue. Other than what you're deliberately generating & using of course. Could be valuable in lightly damped types though. They're a pain to make. Some find them more trouble than their worth & can get results sufficient for their purposes with simpler approaches. Technically, these should be superior, but it depends on what is the most practical trade-off for a given set of requirements.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 12th July 2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12th July 2013, 05:20 PM   #6
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Yup, when done by hand as opposed to CNC router, it can take longer to cut all those holes than to build the rest of the box. Way longer in high density plywood

And just for fun, I like to include at least some minimal side to side bracing between panels on cabinets as tall at the Pensils (longitudinally oriented as Scott mentioned)
Old 12th July 2013, 05:41 PM   #7
stevieg is offline stevieg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yup, when done by hand as opposed to CNC router, it can take longer to cut all those holes than to build the rest of the box. Way longer in high density plywood
But not that long. Please don't make everybody think they need all these posh tools for a one off job. I KNOW it looks homemade. It IS homemade. Mind you, my favourite homemade speakers are built from a very old wardrobe my neighbour threw out. Solid oak top and base, each side different wood veneer (thick walnut, mahogany, nameless ply) but pair matched. Pro enuff for me.

Cheers Steve
Old 12th July 2013, 05:41 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

i was about to order a pair of 10.3 when I saw the specs of the 10P with the paper cone. Higher sensitivity, a very flat response, ..
They do seem interesting. What would the drawback be in using them on a ESP P3A?
Old 12th July 2013, 06:41 PM   #9
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Steve, I was just saying that even after dozens of pairs, it takes me more time to layout clearance for drivers and cut all those holes by hand in a full length cabinet brace for something like the Pensils than it does to fabricate the shell itself.

And yes, while it's not particularly technically challenging, every time I need to machine a pair of rebated baffles by hand I appreciate the luxury that a $120K CNC point to point machining centre has to offer - draw a pattern of 2 circles of different diameters and depths of cut, and yur done. The pincushion frame shapes require a bit more programming.

Hide this!Advertise here!