Full range speaker cabinet material sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
And there is nothing wrong with that. Everything in the chain colors the sound to one degree or another, and everyone hears different. So pick your favorite color!

[rant]
It annoys me to no end to be told by a zealot that his is the only possible way to get acceptable sound. As I am older that many members' fathers, I have had a bit of time to establish what sound right to me!
[/rant]

Bob

Hey gramps, chillax, :D

I couldn't agree more - it's a test of character to not react with expletives when repeated told we're doing things all wrong, or don't understand what we're hearing.

breathe, find your center, all is transitory

OM

Using the knuckle rap test:

These PVC pipes are for my next project. The holes are for some EL-166's I am lucky enough to have around. 12" diameter, 3/4" thick walls, each 4 foot section weighs 80 lbs.

They pass the knuckle rap test....bones break before these babies...

Jack

Attachments

• PCV heaven.jpg
    PCV heaven.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 125
The main difference is that plywood is roughly twice as stiff as MDF or particle board. MDF is very dense. Either property might be useful depending on the application.

AFA damping, there was an article in Audioxpress (?) maybe ten years back, in which someone did some careful testing of panels and enclosures. IIRC both MDF and plywood resonate pretty significantly, so any claims as to 'acoustically neutral' is silly. The spectral response was of course different, but less than you'd think. This small difference might be audible.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.