electro voice 12TRXC - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th June 2013, 02:30 PM   #1
hunsoop is offline hunsoop  United States
diyAudio Member

Default electro voice 12TRXC

Hello there,

I just purchased a pair of EV 12TRXC 8ohms at ebay, and would like to build the enclosure. I studied about this speaker and find out that “it is integrated 3 way speaker”- http://www.electrovoice.com/downloadfile.php?i=970305 but some other documentation says it is two way full range speaker-http://hf-antenna.com/Flotsam/EV/How_to-build_a-EV-spkr_system.pdf

1. Can anyone tell me which definition is right?

Also there are two inputs in this unit – looks like one for tweeter the other for woofer,, but I am not sure how to hook it up to utilize both inputs.

2. Can anyone upload a diagram?
3. Do I need crossover(s) for woofer or/and tweeter? If yes, what would you recommend for? –

If this unit is two way full range speaker-

4. Do I need midrange horn( 8HD with 1824M driver) that is recommended by EV documentation.

Enclosure -I am planning to build 11- 14 cubic feet

5. How the outcomes will be different when the enclosure is 11 and 14 cubic feet?

I really appreciate if anyone can help! Thanks,
Attached Images
File Type: png photo 1.PNG (74.6 KB, 240 views)
File Type: png photo 2.PNG (75.8 KB, 238 views)
Old 29th June 2013, 09:28 PM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

Neither is technically correct, though the 3-way one is close enough since it’s an electrical LF, HF 2-way with a mechanical whizzer to span the gap between the two.

Really? I only recall one set of exposed power terminals.

Don’t have a diagram.

Yes, it should have a [basic] XO built in to protect the tweeter horn and with a wired up HF attenuator.

Yes, for best overall performance you’ll need a mid horn, XO.

Well, the bigger the cab, the lower it ideally needs to be tuned just as the EV chart suggests, so you’re trading an increasing amount of LF efficiency for an increasing LF extension with increasing net cab volume [Vb], lower tuning [Fb].

In short, all else equal, the bass rolls off at a higher frequency as the cab gets bigger, tuned lower. The lower tuned cabs tend to blend in with the room’s gain better, especially if corner loaded, but if they will be well away from any walls, corners, then a smaller cab tuned higher is usually preferred.

GM
Old 30th June 2013, 12:42 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you Gm,

I found its diagram at the internet-already ordered parts for crossover.

http://mypicsonline.net/archive/arch...0X36%20EDS.pdf

And, I decided to go ahead with 12 cubic feet.

LF 3db down point-31hz
SPL MF-111dbsb
SPL LF-108db

Has anyone tried this speaker? people say that it is really good for tube amp and i tried it without cab, it really sounds more alive than the one i have- Psb T55.

Last edited by hunsoop; 30th June 2013 at 12:51 AM.
Old 30th June 2013, 01:00 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

You're welcome! FWIW, 14 ft^3 looks worth the extra 2 ft^3 in a sim.

Regardless, what layout do you plan to use, basic rectangular box, MLTL, or ?

GM
Old 30th June 2013, 01:18 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

yes, just basic rectangular with a vent (width 24X depth 24 X height 38)

I will use made in russian 6uf cap at ebay and air core inductor Jantzen 0.37mH 18 AWG Air Core Inductor 255-222 for crossover. the diagram for crossover was 16ohms so i had to change to 8 ohms.

Anything I should concern? please let me know. thank you

Last edited by hunsoop; 30th June 2013 at 01:37 AM.
Old 30th June 2013, 02:56 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

You’re welcome!

Don’t know about ‘concern’, but since you’re already at a 38” height, going to a taller MLTL normally yields a bit better overall performance due to its TL ¼ WL action damping the vent for better driver control around/at Fb plus it gets the tweeter up to average seated ear height.

I’ve never owned one, but have helped others with earlier versions, with the best sounding being with a SS amp powering the woofer and a SET for the HF in a ~20 ft^3 net MLTL.

GM
Old 30th June 2013, 04:44 AM   #7
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

- - wonder if Qts >0.7 ? - that designation I think says its the 16ohm version of 12TRXB -- not sure how adding an 8HD would sound overall.
Old 30th June 2013, 05:50 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Factory spec is 0.665 Qts. Not sure what your concern is, I mean adding a mid horn and three way XO is desirable when the HF horn has such a high XO point.

GM
Old 30th June 2013, 01:30 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddi View Post
- - wonder if Qts >0.7 ? - that designation I think says its the 16ohm version of 12TRXB -- not sure how adding an 8HD would sound overall.
yeah- Qts is 0.67 and mine is 12TRXC 8ohms (SP 12C + a T35 horn tweeter), slightly different from 12TRXB. And Ev documentation recommended using it with 1824M, so i would like to try.
Old 30th June 2013, 01:44 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
You’re welcome!

Don’t know about ‘concern’, but since you’re already at a 38” height, going to a taller MLTL normally yields a bit better overall performance due to its TL ¼ WL action damping the vent for better driver control around/at Fb plus it gets the tweeter up to average seated ear height.

I’ve never owned one, but have helped others with earlier versions, with the best sounding being with a SS amp powering the woofer and a SET for the HF in a ~20 ft^3 net MLTL.

GM

GM

i thought about MLTL, but it looks like it requires more input on cab and basic rectangle type is pretty simple for me to try by myself. i have very limited capabilities-tool, skills etc..... Do you have any sites that explain step by step on how to build MLTL?

thank you,

Hide this!Advertise here!