Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Help on choosing cabinets for corners
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th June 2013, 11:04 AM   #1
tilroh is offline tilroh  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Help on choosing cabinets for corners

I'm hoping to get suggestions on enclosures for an unusual placement.

You can see the current speakers at the end of the room - against the walls, in the corners.

Click the image to open in full size.

The room is 2.8m x 9.6m (9 x 22').

I think the less than ideal speaker placement is a major factor in choosing new enclosures.

Are some enclosures less dependent on location?

particulars are:

Would like to use 6.5 - 8" Fostex drivers.

Max foot print is:
380mm (15") x 360mm (14")mm.

They will be powered by one of 3 amps:
KT88 based 50W mono blocks.
8W per channel 300B SET amp.
50W transistor amp.

Music played is:
Female Jazz
Acoustic Blues
80ís prog rock
Folk and Classical.

Any advise welcome.

Thanks, Mack
Old 25th June 2013, 11:32 AM   #2
gafhenderson is offline gafhenderson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Its quite a small room for a 6.5 plus driver. If footprint is an issue, a BiB wedged into the corner like that will give a lot of low end for a small footprint but with a lot of height. For a room like this, I'd have thought this would be ideal for the frugal horn project?
Old 25th June 2013, 03:52 PM   #3
chazdrumzalot is offline chazdrumzalot  United States
diyAudio Member

If you don't mind downgrading to a 5" fostex driver, look into this horn design as it was intended for corner placement.

http://www.quarter-wave.com/Horns/BL...gn_Article.pdf
Old 25th June 2013, 04:47 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafhenderson View Post
Its quite a small room for a 6.5 plus driver. If footprint is an issue, a BiB wedged into the corner like that will give a lot of low end for a small footprint but with a lot of height. For a room like this, I'd have thought this would be ideal for the frugal horn project?

A BIB would fit nicely but I think BIBs work best a few feet away from boundaries. 'Don't know how they'll sound pushed into the corners.
Old 25th June 2013, 05:28 PM   #5
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Look at Decware DNA horn thread it is very compact and rear firing horn and reaches down into 30 Hz with 5 in driver. It might work well with 5 in Fostex I can run a simulation quickly with corner loading turned on.
Old 25th June 2013, 05:35 PM   #6
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilroh View Post
A BIB would fit nicely but I think BIBs work best a few feet away from boundaries. 'Don't know how they'll sound pushed into the corners.
In my experience BiBs work best few inches from the boundaries, few feet not required. Too much proximity is likely to boost the LF - maybe stuffing can tame some of that, but YMMV.

Also for 80s prog rock, Fostex drivers might not be the best choice. I've heard the FE166en (in BIBs) which is 6.5" driver and rock music was in no way its strong point. For acoustic and jazz - much more at home.
Old 25th June 2013, 08:48 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
In my experience BiBs work best few inches from the boundaries, few feet not required. Too much proximity is likely to boost the LF - maybe stuffing can tame some of that, but YMMV.

Also for 80s prog rock, Fostex drivers might not be the best choice. I've heard the FE166en (in BIBs) which is 6.5" driver and rock music was in no way its strong point. For acoustic and jazz - much more at home.
I've always suspected that my FE166 BIBs kinda slur through complex parts.

Is there a full ranger driver that handles rock and acoustic? or is a compromise in order.

My BIBs are in what I thought was the correct place, a meter or so from the wall. But now that you mention it, I always end up with the 50hz and 100hz sliders pulled down on the laptop. I've thought about adding stuffing but I'll push the BIBs into the corners tonight. -Thanks!

I assumed that the room in the pic above would need at least 6.5' drivers to fill the room.

Thank You, Mack
Old 26th June 2013, 12:57 AM   #8
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Mack, for all the types of music you listed except for the classical and 80s prog rock, yes, probably the current Fostex FF165WK in something simple like an MLTL would suffice.

However, for the heavy duty cycle material, you might want to consider a "compromise" such as adding an 8" or so woofer per channel into the mix, and XO between 200-300. If you can afford the shelf space, use the 50W SS amp to power the woofers (at least for now) and the 300B on the FRs. That could even allow use of smaller driver for the mid/top end ( FF125WK or even the wonderful Alpair 7.3)

You didn't mention how tight into the corner you need to go, and whether rear mouth horn such as the DNA or FH3 would have placement issues.
Old 26th June 2013, 01:25 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hmmmm, thanks Chris.
Now to ponder.
Old 26th June 2013, 09:31 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
In my experience BiBs work best few inches from the boundaries, few feet not required. Too much proximity is likely to boost the LF
Thanks zman. I moved my BIBs as far into the corners as possible. I was able to cut off the equalizer and blast bass heavy down-tempo tracks were intolerable before. I even had the 1 watt led flickering on the NAD 3020.

So BIBs are a contender for the room in question.

Help on choosing cabinets for cornersHide this!Advertise here!