MiniPlay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I finished building an interesting pair of speakers yesterday. Thought some others might be interested and decided to share them with you. I found the design on a German web site (http://www.einklang-audio.com/images/projekt/miniplay/bauplan.jpg). The DIY form site (Bauplan: MiniPlay mit Vifa 9BG 119/8 oder Visaton FRS8, Lautsprecher - HIFI-FORUM) provided information about the design and build.

The drivers used in the version I built are the Visaton FRS 8 - 8 Ohm driver (NOT the FRS 8M-8 Ohm) that I purchased from MCM for a few pennies less than $10 each. I used modestly priced hardware and what amounted to scraps laying around my shop (living room). All but the top and base were cut from a piece of 1/2"-5 ply X 2' wide X 4' long. I deviated from the original design by mounting the drivers internally and making the top of the cabinet removable in order to accomplish this.

Here's the part that I like: they sound pretty darn good. How good? A lot better than I ever expected for less than the $30 I spent on materials.

Roemhild, the designer (see: Schematic: Mini Play with Vifa 9BG 119/8 or Visaton FRS8 at Bauplan: MiniPlay mit Vifa 9BG 119/8 oder Visaton FRS8, Lautsprecher - HIFI-FORUM) deserves some kind of award for what can be accomplished for so little.

Roger

MiniPlay Pictures

Some pictures

Attachments

• IMG_0819.jpg
    IMG_0819.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 626
  • IMG_0820.jpg
    IMG_0820.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 606
  • IMG_0821.jpg
    IMG_0821.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 583
  • IMG_0823.jpg
    IMG_0823.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 581
These are cute little big-vent reflex! They are similar to a small BVR I almost built for FF85WK, but instead went with a BLH.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I was thinking as of late to build the BVR, although somewhat modified from the above, with rear-mounted driver and a 1"-1.5" deep 45° chamfered waveguide to add some presense when loaded quasi-quarterspace on a desktop and backwall.

IG

BVR?

It looks like a BVR, correct?

Oh god, all this confusing terminology. No doubt it would help if I understood the underlying "fisics." I do recall reading one of Martin King's papers where he discusses the influence of Q total on the response of the horn. Of course, I couldn't find it and every thing else looked like I had never seen it before. Maybe a little more would sink in if I read it again, but my gut feeling on all this technical stuff is that it provides guidelines rather than absolutes and the rest is left to high art and perseverance. Having neither leaves me in a quandary: to build or not to build, that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing end them? What the hell, all I wanted was a cheap, not to difficult way to avoid being offended by the sound that issues forth.

For the sake of actually caring about labels, if only a little, (and I do have the greatest respect for those among us that do understand the behavior of air molecules and are able to predict with whatever level of accuracy what these little devils are going to do when kicked in the *** with a substantial jolt from that so simple electromechanical device [aka, driver], I am in awe of such ability).

I humbly bow before you.
Roger

Attachments

• Mini Play.jpg
    Mini Play.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 241
Looked interesting enough for me to print out a picture and start making an adaptation of this idea in 3D CAD. I have some 18 mm material in need of a project and this might fit the bill. The main idea is to plop these on my desk at work, accompanied by a small D-class amp.

-Sale

I know there's more to it, but "at a glance" - does this give a fair enough representation of the concept?

To an extent, although for e.g. you can get BR boxes with very long vents (not necessarily recommending, since the longer you go, the more the 1/2 wave harmonic structure rears its head, just saying). The basic point though is that whatever the nomenclature, they all at a fundamental level operate under common physical principles.

To an extent, although for e.g. you can get BR boxes with very long vents (not necessarily recommending, since the longer you go, the more the 1/2 wave harmonic structure rears its head, just saying). The basic point though is that whatever the nomenclature, they all at a fundamental level operate under common physical principles.

Yes, long vents are not impossible indeed, but they'll tune so ridiculously low by then that one would want to augment the CSA and it will slowly morph into a TL of sorts by this point and transition from ½-wave to ¼-wave operation as the chamber become proportionally smaller and is seen as a termination of the line.

But yeah, I get the point. Whatever one builds, it can be placed where it fits on that graph and given any manner of fancy name. :D Trademark office lines will be red. ;)

IG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.