Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

A Speaker that Kicks Butt in Large Spaces
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2018, 11:44 PM   #1181
hoyungh is offline hoyungh
diyAudio Member

"do you think a standard DBR with K-coupler placed in front would pretty much work? - the upper vent might be shorter than with direct radiator arrangement due to the path and load of the coupler"

in the original paper about K-couplers the experiment was done using the K-coupler as a wave guide. X modeled the K15 as built in a wave guide form. In the XKi X modeled the K-coupler as a volume with an opening to the outside. Both showed the dips and spikes of the K-coupler. (thank you X :-) )
So i think the answer should be yes.
and thank you Freddi for that reminder. in the HAK the actual area of the front opening is smaller than the speaker itself(like 5.6in dia?) and this lowers the annoying spike at the top end of the bass shelf from 210Hz to 140+Hz
Old 14th January 2018, 04:51 AM   #1182
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

here's a 1772 in the other high aspect K8 from a couple of years ago - what appears to be a peak might not be so severe as room modes may have been pulling in the plots. That ~210Hz spike did reduce when I blocked the very top 6 or so inches of the aperture's slot. Subjectively, it didn't seem to be obnoxious. I would say the old K12 with 1772 was about 2-5dB stronger in the 100-200Hz octave than the skinny coupler. Both cabinets are about the same bulk.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 14th January 2018, 02:42 PM   #1183
diyAudio Member

Freddi does your HAK8 use the larger vent(7.2in dia) if so using existing parameters it shows a u-shaped shelf starting at 70hz 103db dropping 10 db then rising to 180hz 104db. not too different from your measurement.

in proper dbr shelf will start at 40+hz 93db stop at 80hz and after dip will rise to170hz 104db

in dcaav shelf will start at 40hz 92db and rise to 170hz 104db similar shape as dbr but no dip at 80hz

are you still willing to try the experiment?
Old 14th January 2018, 08:39 PM   #1184
diyAudio Member

my HAK8 has a horizontal slot port - maybe 3/4" high by about 11" wide with the lower boundary of the port against a rear "shelf" - I'll have to check the depth of that shelf.
Old 16th January 2018, 02:34 PM   #1185
diyAudio Member

Freddi how are you keeping. I hope you are keeping active. I read its important to do so for at least 30 mins each day.

I modeled the HAK8 with the horizontal slot between the upper chamber and the front chamber and it showed the same u shaped shelf from 70Hz to 190Hz.

For the DCAAV version I modeled it as speaker chamber 28.6 lit
existing slot 3in by 12in by half in long between speaker and upper chamber
upper chamber of 19.6 lit
new divider (of pink foam insulation board 3/4 in thick)
3in dia hole in divider
23Lit top chamber
2in dia pipe 5cm long between top chamber and front chamber
front chamber 29.6 lit

front vent 7.3in dia(equivalent area) 0.75in thickness

will try to look for drawing program that uses ascii

May our Lord bless you and keep you
Old 17th January 2018, 01:35 AM   #1186
diyAudio Member

If you make a concept side view sketch in "Paint" with some notes then that should be enough. - am not that active

your sim and my measurements make me wonder about CN's HAK8 - take the drawing below scaled from 6.5 to 8 (~1.2 scale) - that should be ballpark for his HAK8 - (his tall K8 might be closer to 28-30 tall)

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-u...HAK6.5.GCF.PNG

Last edited by freddi; 17th January 2018 at 01:52 AM.
Old 17th January 2018, 09:56 AM   #1187
diyAudio Member

[ \ ]
[ )________] new divider with 3in dia hole
[ ) ]
[ ) ]
29.6L) 19.6L ]
[ ) ]
[ ) ]
[ )____ ] existing shelf no vent to front
[ / ]
[ / 28.6L ]
[ / ]
[ / ]
[ /____________]

Last edited by hoyungh; 17th January 2018 at 10:08 AM.

A Speaker that Kicks Butt in Large SpacesHide this!Advertise here!