Best Bookshelf Enclosure for the 126en?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wouldn't expect much bass from this driver in any small enclosure, sealed or otherwise - but Dave at P10 has a sketch for a small center channel

OK...but these would be set up in my office/studio a few feet away with an SS amp and small tube pre from my computer. Not as concerned about bass as I am capturing the full range flavor ;)

I do have a pair of the Ovenight Sensation MTMs I plan to build for this but was curious if the 126en is any good in the bookshelf realm.

I have been swapping the 126en with the Alpair 7 in my BK-12m horns and find the Fostex appears to handle certain acoustics in a more "natural" way. The Alpairs tend to smooth them over a bit. Is this the general consensus on these?

dare I say that the only consensus on Alpair7 vis a via FE126En is that they won't sound the same in any enclosure, regardless of amplification ?;)

in the very near field that you appear to be describing, the Fostex's characteristically dynamic attack, forward upper midrange, and to some ears very discernible peakiness in the 7K range, might in total be a bit fatiguing

Hi there,

IMO, the FE126s are only usable with the application of a graphic eq.
I used Foobar2000 to do this (see attached).

This provides BSC and a smoother mid-high range that's otherwise very forward.

Again IMO, the only way to get satisfying sound from a small enclosure and these drivers is to go sealed, and use the graphic eq again to do a Linkwitz Transform, providing boost to around 70Hz before cutting down around 45Hz.

You lose a lot of SPL capability, but with their tiny Xmax they'll never do much bass. For nearfield I'd expect this to be okay, having used it myself before now. Just be careful with the cone excursion - once they sound like they're struggling, start cutting off more of the bass if its not loud enough.. These are small speakers.

Chris

Attachments

• eq.png
    eq.png
    42.7 KB · Views: 242
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
FE126En is not really suited to a small box.

The 10 litre factory box has been descibed as a "crual joke". The attached sim is half-space so does not consider BS Loss.

For those needing a centre channel to "match" FH3/FE126 mains i did up what i consider a lesss compromised alignment, 4 litres with a nice roll-off just above 100 Hz.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...k3-builds-build-questions-51.html#post2769449

247815d1320392479-frugel-horn-mk3-builds-build-questions-fe126-centre-3d.gif

dave

Attachments

• FE126-factoryBR-sim.gif
    FE126-factoryBR-sim.gif
    12.5 KB · Views: 233
Perhaps I should add that I am a near field listener. Mine are appx 6ft from my listening position in their normal setup. I've also ran them as desktop speakers and they are great there too. I have never encountered any issue with them not being loud enough whether being driven by SET or T-Amp. They are wonderfully natural sounding and image very well.

Perhaps I should add that I am a near field listener. Mine are appx 6ft from my listening position in their normal setup. I've also ran them as desktop speakers and they are great there too. I have never encountered any issue with them not being loud enough whether being driven by SET or T-Amp. They are wonderfully natural sounding and image very well.

This enclosure ? I will have mine a little further ...maybe 10'. They are cheap enough to build ;)

Attachments

• FE126En-ported.png
    FE126En-ported.png
    11.7 KB · Views: 237
Sensitivity has never been an issue with the FE126En - certainly not in the near-field - the definition of which I guess varies quite a bit now that a lot of folks have multiple systems, including desk-top when using their computers - I myself have 2 such (at work and home) - both are FF85WK and driven by Topping TP30 amps, and with prime listening position of less than 1 meter. Frankly I'd consider that a much more suitable driver for that particular application.

At a greater distance, no doubt toe-in and/or careful EQ could mitigate some of the issues in upper mids about which many folks comment ( I should clarify/expand on my earlier post on the subject - the peakiness is definitely there, but not equally bothersome to all listeners.)

Dave earlier described a CC enclosure plan for the FE126E - to be matched with 126s in something like the FH3 - we built one several months ago, and believe it or not, have yet to fire them up - I guess my return from vacation chore list just got longer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.