ScottMoose BVR for Betsy K

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I used some Betsy K drivers for a pair of speakers I built for a friend and now I've got to have some for myself. I'm interested in the double mouth BVR ScottMoose designed for them, but I'm not 100% sure of the dimensions, especially for the ports. What I got came from this post: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/wild-burro-audio/156107-enclosure-designs-burro-speakers.html#post2527582

And here are the specs ScottMoose sent me for a double mouth BVR:

Chamber internal HxWxD = 37in x 10.5in x 12.25in. Driver mounted centrally; suggest a couple of window braces at least. Back, one side & either the top or base of the chamber (making sure you don't block the throat) lined with 1in acoustic fiberglass or similar. Throats are 1in deep & 0.75in long. Each horn is 14.5in tall at the mouth; an angled strike-plate runs from the front of the box to 1.5in down / up (depending on which horn we're talking about) from the throats.

Here are some shots showing the dimensions in Sketchup and I attached the Sketchup model . If anyone (like ScottMoose :)) could look this over and let me know if I got it right I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• BVR Detail.png
    BVR Detail.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 1,087
  • Betsy K BVR.png
    Betsy K BVR.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 1,166
  • Betsy K BVR Sketchup.zip
    73.2 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Something happened to my original post, weird, anyway:

I used some Betsy K drivers for a pair of speakers I built for a friend and now I've got to have some for myself. I'm interested in the double mouth BVR ScottMoose designed for them, but I'm not 100% sure of the dimensions, especially for the ports. What I got came from this post: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/wild-burro-audio/156107-enclosure-designs-burro-speakers.html#post2527582

And here are the specs ScottMoose sent me for a double mouth BVR:

Chamber internal HxWxD = 37in x 10.5in x 12.25in. Driver mounted centrally; suggest a couple of window braces at least. Back, one side & either the top or base of the chamber (making sure you don't block the throat) lined with 1in acoustic fiberglass or similar. Throats are 1in deep & 0.75in long. Each horn is 14.5in tall at the mouth; an angled strike-plate runs from the front of the box to 1.5in down / up (depending on which horn we're talking about) from the throats.

Here are some shots showing the dimensions in Sketchup and I attached the Sketchup model . If anyone (like ScottMoose :)) could look this over and let me know if I got it right I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Sim of Betsy BVR

Here is an AkAbak model of the BVR as drawn above. This is for the speaker 60 in away from a back wall and measurements at 3 m away at speaker centerline with 1 watt input.

The simulations show that the bass peaks at about 80 Hz and softly rolls off below that. If you are looking for deep bass, I am not sure if this will work. Also there appears to be a dip at 140 Hz and 240 Hz and sharp spike at 380 Hz. I may have done something wrong with the model, but this is a pretty straight forward design with only 11 nodes and two horns.

Attachments

• BetsyK-BVR-Displ.png
    BetsyK-BVR-Displ.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 100
  • BetsyK-BVR-Imped-3m.png
    BetsyK-BVR-Imped-3m.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 128
  • BetsyK-BVR-Freq-Resp-3m.png
    BetsyK-BVR-Freq-Resp-3m.png
    37.3 KB · Views: 825
Thanks for the input folks. I had considered the WIBAQ before and may have to give it a second thought. If I could get decent output down to close to 30 Hz that would be great. My main motivations for building the BVR enclosure was to get a little better lower frequency performance than Wild Burro's Quasi TQWT design, and the BVR looked like a more rewarding woodworking project (I'm a builder at heart, and have pretty much have all the skills/tools to build just about anything I want out of wood).

The WIBAQ looks like it would satisfy my first requirement pretty well, the only reason I have hesistant to go with it is its not very exciting from a construction perspective and its 4" deeper than the BVR design and that will decrease the all-important WAF. The BVR has exactly the same footprint as the Quasi TQWT design does, its just taller. Here is a picture of the TQWT cabinets I built for a friend.

Attachments

• IMG_0433 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0433 (Medium).JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 602
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.