Fostex FF 225 WK for T.V. and Movie's? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th June 2013, 07:43 PM   #11
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

MPM; amen to that, but if I might suggest that if by the "recommended" box for FE167E you meant the small BR enclosure, it certainly doesn't deliver all the LF response of which the driver is capable.

For any of the candidate drivers, a floor-standing MLTL would certainly make the most sense.
Old 13th June 2013, 09:04 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPM View Post
Had 5 FE167E in the recommended fostex cabinet. Sounded good but when I added the sub it was eye opening. YMMV
Did you actually make 5 BLH with this driver ?!
With a subwoofer, the FE167 En could even be squeezed in to a smalled sealed box, to be used as satellimte
Old 13th June 2013, 09:33 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Soundaatam - IINM neither of the recommended enclosure designs for the FE167E were BLH - http://www.fostexinternational.com/d...7e_enclrev.pdf

The design with bottom mounted port forming part of the stand is actually rather ingenious, but I only ever built the standard BR - quite underwhelming in terms of bass response compared to much larger floorstanding designs (circa 28 liters, IIRC)
Click the image to open in full size.

edit: FWIW, net volume approx 23 liters

Last edited by chrisb; 13th June 2013 at 09:59 PM. Reason: errata
Old 13th June 2013, 10:55 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Sorry, I was actually referring to the FE166En that is currently available and is recommended to be put in a BLH.
But it does fine in a BIB too.
Old 14th June 2013, 01:13 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hello everyone and thank you for all of your input. Well if I posted it wrong I will not be using the out put on my t.v. to run the speakers. I have a Dayton dta 100 a T amp and a killer 2 channel jvc amp for free from a friend of mine. I will have to do more research on both drivers and then buy. Thank s again N.S.
Old 14th June 2013, 03:30 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

I've been using a pair of TB 1772s in a MLTL for movie duty for some time, not needing a sub and very dynamic with 5 watt KT88 amp! My room is 14 X 20 ft.

Larry
Old 14th June 2013, 04:45 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Larry - is there a center in your movie duty system?
Old 15th June 2013, 01:31 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

No center channel!

Larry
Old 16th June 2013, 04:51 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryldspkr View Post
I've been using a pair of TB 1772s in a MLTL for movie duty for some time, not needing a sub and very dynamic with 5 watt KT88 amp! My room is 14 X 20 ft.

Larry
How large are your cabinets for the TB1772 and do you run them fullrange. Any high frequency shelving filter ?
Old 16th June 2013, 01:57 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

"not needing a sub..."

Rather subjective, IMO.

Up until fairly recently, I would've agreed. But now that I've half a kilowatt and a pair of long-throw 12"s that have output sub-20Hz, I'd say that, if disturbing people with LF isn't a concern, the best way to spend the money would be a couple of standmount speakers and a powerful subwoofer. Or two.

To the OP, if you're ever going to want to rock out with these speakers, forget the Tang Bands. They'll hit the harsh paper-cone-in-break-up sound once things get turned up on complex sounds (eg, rock music), and the only fix is to turn it down again. Not much use for air guitar, then.
The Fostexes are much better in that regard, but need a tweeter.

At the cheaper end of the scale, I'd strongly consider a pair of Behringer B2031P speakers. They can, if called upon, do subtlety and detail. In the same second they can fill a very large (20m by 10m) room with loud rock music. This, IMO, is what a stereo ought to be able to do: play anything you like, as loud as you like, no complaints.

I've direct experience with all 3, and would probably take the Behringers plus subwoofer every time, with the Fostexes in 2nd.

Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!