How important are dimensions if the volume is the same? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th June 2013, 07:35 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question How important are dimensions if the volume is the same?

I used to have a set of commonsenseaudio 1.3 speakers that I quite enjoyed the sound of. I'd like to build another pair, but now I'm wondering how important the actual dimensions are as long as the internal volume remains the same (1.3 cubic feet).

I've tried using this online speaker calculator to figure out what the frequency response would be like (based on the Fostex FE206En driver), but there is much confusion in my mind as to what it's telling me.

Ideally, I'd like the speakers to be more or less 16" square. Any tips on how to figure out the frequency response, etc? I realize this is likely a loaded question and subject to much debate, but any help is appreciated.
Old 12th June 2013, 08:02 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingersoccer View Post
I used to have a set of commonsenseaudio 1.3 speakers that I quite enjoyed the sound of. I'd like to build another pair, but now I'm wondering how important the actual dimensions are as long as the internal volume remains the same (1.3 cubic feet).

I've tried using this online speaker calculator to figure out what the frequency response would be like (based on the Fostex FE206En driver), but there is much confusion in my mind as to what it's telling me.

Ideally, I'd like the speakers to be more or less 16" square. Any tips on how to figure out the frequency response, etc? I realize this is likely a loaded question and subject to much debate, but any help is appreciated.
well i learnt if its too shallow then it generally sounds awful unless you can deflect/diffuse the reflection from the back wall.
Old 12th June 2013, 08:18 PM   #3
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

don't worry, it'll be easy to find consensus on this question

All kidding aside, to a degree it probably depends on whether sealed or vented - the height and driver placement can have significant affect on performance of vented enclosures, as described on MJK's excellent site.
Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design

Indeed many excellent performing enclosures have been designed through the licensed use of his proprietary worksheet programs. Some of those designs are available free to DIYers for personal use builds, others require nominal fees to the designer as part of their licensing agreement with Martin. I've heard and built dozens of such enclosure designs myself.

What might not be too controversial to suggest is that when used solo (without supporting woofers as in an OB) the FE206E can deliver more of its potential in a BLH, as opposed to a compromised BR or BVR.

then again, I could be wrong about the first part of the prior sentence.
Old 12th June 2013, 09:29 PM   #4
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

A basic speaker design program assumes the driver, vent occupies the same space on an infinitely rigid, massive flat baffle attached to a box dimensioned to have a ~uniform particle density [no eigenmodes], which is buried flush in the ground of an infinitely large flat plain [2pi space], so in reality its response plot, etc., doesn't match up too well with the acoustics of one's room.

In short, a cube may sound a bit different due to having a wider baffle and a different driver/vent location and spacing than its rectangular equivalent; but these differences could very well be swamped out by the room's impact on their response, so short of using much more advanced software to sim them in room, you'll need to build one to test and maybe tweak the damping and/or vent tuning to minimize any differences.

Frankly, in a box this small, I imagine there would be no audible differences that a little fiddling with the damping couldn't solve.

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!