How to fix tweeter coil cable ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks,
sadly did not found exactly in search what I am looking for.
So my question here:
One tweeter does not work because one thin copper cable is disconnected from coil's silvercolored inside. Soldering is not possible and soldering mass could scratch the magnet. How to solve this problem best ? Thanks

Second question: it seems to be normal (had tested on working tweeter) that (+) and (-) is full conducted each other. But on amps out this means usually shortcut and here it is normal ?

Attachments

• tweeter-coil.jpg
    tweeter-coil.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:
Hi folks,
sadly did not found exactly in search what I am looking for.
So my question here:
One tweeter does not work because one thin copper cable is disconnected from coil's silvercolored inside. Soldering is not possible and soldering mass could scratch the magnet. How to solve this problem best ? Thanks

Second question: it seems to be normal (had tested on working tweeter) that (+) and (-) is full conducted each other. But on amps out this means usually shortcut and here it is normal ?

The repair you are asking about will not be easy.

If you can unwind one turn from the break, you can solder the end to the terminal again. It will be slightly lower in output, you may not notice.

It is also possible to pull a half inch or so off the form, solder in a new single wire, like a single strand of a 14 or 16 guage zip cord, then routh that to the terminal.

I caution you, soldering this guage wire will very very difficult. You may not be able to do it.

You may find it cheaper to buy a new tweeter than it would cost paying for psych counselling after spending a lot of time trying..or if you're old enough, the two martini's needed to forget the failed efforts.

I've done it many times (the repair, that is), but I use a stereoscope at 15 to 20X, and a fine soldering pencil...with no coffee that day. So it can be done.

BTW, if you do make the repair work, lay the wire against the form and epoxy it down...I suspect the reason it failed is it was an unsupported wire in the gap magnetic field, and it flexed to failure. Typically a consequence of clipping, as the length of unsupported vc wire resonates ultrasonically.

jn

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Second question

Actually it's not really a short circuit although it appears that way. The magnet wire used for coils will have an impedance (frequency dependant resistance) when mounted in a magnetic field so the amplifier will see enough resistance to stop it from overheating. This is particularly important with the woofers as that's where the bulk of the power is used but the same applies to tweeters.

Actually it's not really a short circuit although it appears that way. The magnet wire used for coils will have an impedance (frequency dependant resistance) when mounted in a magnetic field so the amplifier will see enough resistance to stop it from overheating. This is particularly important with the woofers as that's where the bulk of the power is used but the same applies to tweeters.

Not sure I understand this. Is this some sort of special wire? The wire somehow goes high impedance when inside a magnetic field? I'm not sure, but I don't think so. Isn't it just the DCR of the wire that comes into play? And especially if the voice coil wire traverses an air gap, there's no thermal mass to release the local temperature increase of that portion of the wire.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.