Full Range Voice Range single speaker and enclosure - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th June 2013, 04:02 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Full Range Voice Range single speaker and enclosure

Is there a mid range driver which would be the best for listening to voice?

It could be just me but voice streams over the internet which is how I get my news-- voice streams from actual radio stations broadcasting on air and archived-- have a very fatiguing bassy sound.

I like to refer to the experiment which tells the listener to stand in front of another and have them talk. That is how the voice and acoustics sound.

Simply put, getting rid of the bassy enhancements so fond of by board operators for Professional Radio is what I'd like to get rid of-- the Top Forty Guy sound is tiring and best done away with.

This should be a single driver solution. I know that programs like Goldwave can tune a WAV file to within an inch of its life. But the goal here is to be able to turn on the computer for a radio archive news report without hearing Joe Basso Profundo and his Magic Microphone.

There is a worst case example I can link to but I'd rather get some thoughts on the concept first.

Last edited by loninappleton; 11th June 2013 at 04:06 AM.
Old 11th June 2013, 04:18 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Are you asking about contemporary drivers? or any and all, including vintage?

In the vintage corner I find a 5 in to 8 in mid-range cone driver would be what the doctor ordered for this type of specific application.

The Bozak B400 8" Mid comes to mind as well as Wharfedale Super 8. JMTCW
Old 11th June 2013, 07:20 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Contemporary yes, and in the very moderate price range.

I like the idea of an 8" Mid but would have no idea where to get such a thing or what a 'vintage" item is going for.
Old 11th June 2013, 11:19 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
Is there a mid range driver which would be the best for listening to voice?

It could be just me but voice streams over the internet which is how I get my news-- voice streams from actual radio stations broadcasting on air and archived-- have a very fatiguing bassy sound.

I like to refer to the experiment which tells the listener to stand in front of another and have them talk. That is how the voice and acoustics sound.

Simply put, getting rid of the bassy enhancements so fond of by board operators for Professional Radio is what I'd like to get rid of-- the Top Forty Guy sound is tiring and best done away with.

This should be a single driver solution. I know that programs like Goldwave can tune a WAV file to within an inch of its life. But the goal here is to be able to turn on the computer for a radio archive news report without hearing Joe Basso Profundo and his Magic Microphone.

There is a worst case example I can link to but I'd rather get some thoughts on the concept first.
What do you listen through/to now?
Old 11th June 2013, 12:24 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I'm not sure what you mean by moderate pricing, but I'll shoot anyway...

Lowther C series, PM6 model. Guaranteed bass will be stripped off

Or even better, model C45. If you want only 80-3500Hz you can order one without whizer cone.

Or Supravox 165 LB

If all that is too expensive - AUDAX PR170NO, 6.5" driver, midrange, up to 8 kHz, fs 117 Hz, 100$.

The Madisound Speaker Store

Since you only want to listen the voice maybe you can consider mono? that way you can go for better driver.
Old 11th June 2013, 09:38 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Erm... I've poked around in the $40 range of drivers for a long time. The current setups I have to do this listening involve a number of single experimental builds with full range. Stereo is only a moderate consideration for a regular classical music station whose web stream I get in Ogg Vorbis through a Parts Express tripath amp-- the little DTA-1 with no mods.

No Bose labyrinth desktop radios needed but the Tivoli design always looked cute to me.

The Full range I have to play with in that size is a Mark Audio chp70 gen2 natural paper

Elsewhere I have Fostex FE127e (no mod) in a BIB, Fostex 167 small BR box and a couple of Roland full range I got on deal, one mounted in sealed box, the other ENABled and not currently in use. The Roland electric piano speaks perform well even if $8.00 each.

To tune this audio problem I've used the EQ from various players but that is not giving the right effect. I suppose if I cannot describe the problem, the solution will escape us.
Old 11th June 2013, 09:40 PM   #7
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

betsy?
Old 11th June 2013, 10:00 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adason View Post
betsy?
I've seen the Betsy. Wild Burro seems sort of humorous to me.

Ted Jordan's early speakers were put into short wave radios as I recall to emphasize the voice-- might have been during WWII.
Old 12th June 2013, 12:04 AM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

FF85wk

dave
Old 12th June 2013, 12:33 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
FF85wk

dave
Could be the answer, thanks.