Full Range Voice Range single speaker and enclosure - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th June 2013, 12:39 AM   #11
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

this little Crunch 8" goes to ~9KHz on-axis - it comes in 4 & 8 ohm versions so if you get one be careful of the description

4 ohm
Amazon.com: Crunch CRSS8.4 Full Range Screamers: Car Electronics

8 ohm
http://www.amazon.com/Crunch-CRSS8-F...unch+screamers

I like the ~$27 (US$ at Partsexpress) Visaton BG20 8" fullrange but not sure how it would fare for your application

a simple little open baffle would remove bass and probably some tubbiness

P10's speaker choice has treble extension which could help depending upon signal quality

there's some serious proximity effect / compression and eq with some announcers - ha

Last edited by freddi; 12th June 2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 12th June 2013, 12:56 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

This month I'm running SABA 3 X 6 inch Alnico's out of a R to R portable that sat in my basement for years. They know the voice, and they like piano. Not as good up high as my Foster's but they're staying in the rotation. Breaking in maybe.
Old 12th June 2013, 02:09 AM   #13
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

For voice only, you want a nominally flat, BW limited ~300-3 kHz [digital telephone BW], which many cheap PA ceiling drivers excel at once the HF is rolled off.

GM
Old 12th June 2013, 08:03 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Then the optimal fix might be a ceiling speaker such as available at Parts Express mounted on a board?

How about a cosmetic consession and use Open Back as GM suggested for me years ago while playing with the FE127e?

These are just things I had forgotten about over time.
Old 12th June 2013, 08:29 PM   #15
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I'm with Dave, FF85wk
Old 12th June 2013, 08:46 PM   #16
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

+4 on the FF85WK - in a good little box ( ie approx 2 liters), can be a surprising performer for more than just voice - I'm using them for near field ( less than 1 meter) computer speakers at both work and home, driven by the delightful and affordable Topping TP30 ( 1/3 the cost of my first class T-amp)

yes, they'd need woofers to achieve any respectable amount of bass in larger spaces

of course with the forward midrange presence for which Fostex are renown, they'll do little to mitigate excessive EQ/compression that seems to be bred into the DNA of radio and TV sound mixers. The first time you meet one of your local radio personalities in the flesh you wonder what the hell happened to their voice?
Old 12th June 2013, 10:13 PM   #17
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

So true.
Old 12th June 2013, 10:20 PM   #18
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
I'm with Dave, FF85wk
But what if he already has the 127? Are they that bad?

GM
Old 13th June 2013, 03:27 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Default Aura NS3

If you want a better bass extension in a smaller box, the Aura NS3 can do better than the FF85WK. The NS3 has higher Qts and sounds great even sealed in a mini 0.8 liter box.

OTOH, the FF85 has to be ported and hence will need larger box, but has smaller X-max. However it will sound more bright and "less compressed" at lesser power.
Old 13th June 2013, 05:15 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

The $60 Emimence BETA-8A gets good reviews as an 95db efficient midrange.

WIKI:
Vocal_range is the measure of the breadth of pitches that a human voice can phonate. The most common application of the term "vocal range" is within the context of singing, where it is used as one of the major defining characteristics for classifying singing voices into groups known as voice types.

The following are the general vocal ranges associated with each voice type using scientific pitch notation where middle C=C4. Some singers within these voice types may be able to sing somewhat higher or lower:

Soprano: C4 C6
Mezzo-soprano: A3 A5
Contralto: F3 F5
Tenor: C3 C5
Baritone: F2 F4
Bass: E2 E4

In terms of frequency, human voices are roughly in the range of 80 Hz to 1100 Hz (that is, E2 to C6) for normal male and female voices together.

Fundamental Speech frequency
The voiced speech of a typical adult male will have a fundamental frequency from 85 to 180 Hz, and that of a typical adult female from 165 to 255 Hz.

Telephony and equal power:
Telephone transmission is optimized for 300-3000 Hz since the small telephone receiver speaker can cover this range while isolating 60Hz/120Hz/180Hz power noise, and the brain can rebuild a voice fundamental from the upper harmonics. Speakers with 300-3,000Hz crossovers avoid midrange intermodulation (doppler) distortion and unequal power dissipation problems, but they put a xover in the vocal range.

Hide this!Advertise here!