Help with best enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I tend to agree on the doubt concerning building Voight Pipes & TLs.......as the craftmanship required is beyond the abilities of some of us out here.......(Myself included).
Tweaking the sims trying to get some low-end extension does yield decent performance...Using WinISD beta, I get this.

30L volume
Fb 47 Hz
F3 42 Hz
PORT
68mm Diam.
112mm Long

Dimensions(Inside) 246.621...by 310.723...by 391.480...mm

_________________________________________________Rick..........

Yikes is right. That seems a long time, better check for a disc protrusion.

jeff

Oh yes, I have X-rays carbon dated from the mid 90's showing exactly that, and a little stenosis in the L4-5 & Sacrum area. That and a bad attitude towards fitness makes for an occasionally painful combination - no one to blame but myself.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming

Emailed Bob today at Creative Sound and put my name on the pre-order list.
Probably will get the new Alpair 10 metal, because I read on the MA forum that the paper version will bring out all the flaws from your source.
Well, my source sucks :smash:. The cd player is an old Sony 5 disc ( not so bad actually) and I have it connected to an older Sony shelf system (at most 12 watts)The good thing about it is that it will run 4 oh-16ohm I believe. Have a Sony HT amp but I only use it for movies.

Planning on gettin one of those T amps...poss. the TP60 or TP30??
...or even the Dayton audio DTA-100a amp. Originally thinking of the NAD 316Bee, but it's more dough.

I assume that the Pensil design for the outgoing 10.2 will no longer apply to the new 10's....
so hoping for someone here ( Scottmoose?) to draw up some new pensil plans (book shelf too!)

I am still going to do a "beginner" project using one of the TB drivers from PE ( prob 1611SAF ). Too many choices...

Thx for all the advice/info so far...
:cheers:

Quarter Wave design

I can recommend trying MJK models, which gives you a understanding of the nature of quarter wave design.

You might also find som information of interest in my guide:

http://www.coolcat.dk/bjoern/QWforDummies.pdf

About "let the speaker breath":

The more volume the more bass, which you control by stuffing to avoid boomy bass. TABAQ has a large volume for a 3" driver, it is hard stuffed - the result is very good.

The final design of the box might require compensation (coil and resistor - BSC) to balance the frequency. This is also simulated by MJK´s models.

Hi from
Bjorn

I can recommend trying MJK models, which gives you a understanding of the nature of quarter wave design.

You might also find som information of interest in my guide:

http://www.coolcat.dk/bjoern/QWforDummies.pdf

About "let the speaker breath":

The more volume the more bass, which you control by stuffing to avoid boomy bass. TABAQ has a large volume for a 3" driver, it is hard stuffed - the result is very good.

The final design of the box might require compensation (coil and resistor - BSC) to balance the frequency. This is also simulated by MJK´s models.

Hi from
Bjorn

Thanks Bjorn for the information and link. I will read your information and try to understand it :scratch: I will be borrowing a PC and will download Mathcad and WINisd. I think WINisd is a basic program to determine speaker box volume and port size. Is it accurate for a basic design? Assuming the speakers data is input correctly?

Kastanza -

Re amp choice - I'm using TP30 in 2 different computer based rigs, where the power is more than enough for the nearfield, and the USB input makes connection a dream - for this application it's an absolute bargain.
There's also a TP31, which uses the same Tripath 2024A, but a coax SPDIF input, different DAC, etc - it's also $40 more. I'm not sure if anyone has thoroughly compared the two, so I might be taking a chance opining that they'd essentially sound the same.

However, if you're happy enough with the sound of your Sony player and don't (think you) need a separate DAC (for now ;)),the extra power of the TP60 certainly couldn't hurt. I note from the PE site that they are "out of stock" - ETA 09/03/013

To be honest, since I switched to computer based audio a couple of years ago, I've probably used my Jolida CD player for a total of 5 hours. The availability and price point of decent to stellar USB DACs has got to the point that you can acquire a cheap laptop and outboard DAC for substantially less than the cost of many "audiophile grade" standalone CD players.

For that matter, even docs like the Pure i20 and loss-less files on a iPhone/Pod can give many a mid price range player a run for the money.

Re new Pensil design - I'd be surprised if the revisions to Pensil plans for the latest production version of Alpair drivers aren't completed before Madisound and resellers such as Bob actually have inventory to ship.

Note that Bob is also an authorized reseller for Parts Express - I've acquired several pieces through him (most recently some speakers and multi-channel amp for a restaurant install) . A lot less hassle than importing yourself, and he's a relatively short drive from your place. (well, as short a drive as anything in your neck of the woods.)

Thx Chris, I've been thinking about a DAC. Maybe the TP30 would be a good fit as I do have a ton of Flac / Lossless files on my Mac. Sure wish the TP30 had a wee bit more power, but I am sure it will run the A10's.

I see Topping has a stand alone DAC as well,
Topping D20 Multi-Function DAC 310-332
Are there any other "budget" stand alone DACs out there?

Looking forward to the new Pensil plans...

Kastanza:

I've been running a Citypulse DA7.2X for several years now, and aren't currently in the market for a stand alone DAC . This model is also a line and headphone amp with remote control, and while it doesn't have USB input, it's fed from a MacMini as dedicated music machine, and the optical SPDIF works well enough for my needs.

I guess nomination for a short list would depend on exactly what your definition of "budget" is, but if I was looking, the Topping would certainly be included

others that come immediately to mind

Schiit Modi ($99)
HRT Musicstreamer ($170)
SuperPro DAC707 ($110)

edit:
Nuforce Icon iDo - $149 - how could I have overlooked it ? I just installed one in a restaurant system - very nice little gadget

No doubt there are numerous others that will be suggested in the under $200 price range.

Last edited:
Thx Dave /Chris...Funny, I was just looking at amazon.ca for the topping TP6o/30 etc

I know of digiparts. I saw the TP60 awhile ago, now its off the site. Guess they are sold out too.

On amazon.ca another seller "SainStore: has them in stock @ $205

Odd, the ebay digiparts has the tp60, but their website does not..... whose minding the shop??

Last edited:
Kastanza:
I have a very low cost DAC SMSL 1793 or some thing like that, it cost me £40 and a replacement op amp, It might be what you need. It does not have a USB input though, but for the money its damned good.

Thanks Alex, I actually noticed SMSL products while looking on amazon/ebay. They seem to make T amps also. Have you heard any of the SMSL T amps? Wonder how they compare to the Topping amps?

More choices... :confused:

To be honest, since I switched to computer based audio a couple of years ago, I've probably used my Jolida CD player for a total of 5 hours. The availability and price point of decent to stellar USB DACs has got to the point that you can acquire a cheap laptop and outboard DAC for substantially less than the cost of many "audiophile grade" standalone CD players.
+1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.