Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st May 2013, 07:32 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Chris, floating is right
It gives an exact idea, since it is a matter more terrestrial
as flying is over our heads, floating is subjected to gravity
It's also more predictable...are we talking about ufos ?? Something that floats in the air - if not a pure tone (sinus), everything (music) created by instruments has a start, a duration and an end . Like each note has an attack-sustain-decay in time
Old 31st May 2013, 08:38 PM   #12
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Mordaunt Short 552 took this approach. The drivers and baffle were attached to a fixed frame which formed the floor stand. The rest of the cabinet was then suspended on this, with rubber seals to ensure sealing. It must have been expensive to make and only lasted one version, as far as I know.

The Eclipse does something similar - at least, I believe the speaker is coupled directly to the stand.

Hi-Fi speaker | ECLIPSE Home Audio Systems
Old 31st May 2013, 08:45 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Just change neoprene for the foam, make strong compression for adhesive faces
inside, put a performing driver and try to sell it for over 15000 $ ,if not over..
Old 31st May 2013, 09:05 PM   #14
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

OK, so we don't really have a floating cabinet, simply one that is loosely attached via seals. Again, I'll leave the possible benefit of that in Chris' hands, he really is the smart one.

One question though: At what point do we recognize the value of the exercise going from a fairly loose cabinet which would have at least wave cancellation to a more rigidly attached one with little to no cancellation? I'm yet to see where this is beneficial.
Old 1st June 2013, 09:01 AM   #15
stevieg is offline stevieg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Mordaunt Short 552 took this approach. The drivers and baffle were attached to a fixed frame which formed the floor stand. The rest of the cabinet was then suspended on this, with rubber seals to ensure sealing. It must have been expensive to make and only lasted one version, as far as I know.
That's the one Colin. Driver rigidly coupled to the floor, cabinet floating around it.

Cal, as well as possible sonic optimisation of the baffle, cabinet vibrations should not feed back directly to the speaker chassis. I'm thinking that the purpose of the cabinet is no longer structural, holding the drivers in position, but simply a device for containing and controlling a volume of air. Of course, moving the whole unit around would be difficult, which was probably one reason for the demise of the M-S, but we're DIYers; what do we care?

Cheers Steve
Old 10th June 2013, 12:16 PM   #16
flg is offline flg  United States
diyAudio Member

When I saw this thread, I thought wow, I can contribute here...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Salt Shaker II.jpg (69.8 KB, 286 views)
Old 11th June 2013, 02:56 PM   #17
stevieg is offline stevieg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
When I saw this thread, I thought wow, I can contribute here... Click the image to open in full size.
Pah! Frat boy bass.....As an ex swimming pool attendant, I will blow my whistle for bombing (cannonballing?), running, eating, petting and any music with Autotune. Currently staring at a tiny Karlson enclosure in foamboard. Then will return to this thread with a foamboard floating enclosure.

Cheers Steve
Old 11th June 2013, 09:20 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

These are a pair of floating or suspended types .
I made them -the stand is I-kea Adapted -2 years ago
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12th June 2013, 11:06 AM   #19
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

This floating/hanging them is quite popular now. I've been thinking about it myself too. The bass (up to ?Hz) must have a solid foundation for heavy coils and membranes pumping the air. But let's say above 3-400Hz I can't see any movement of membranes, and they could be very light Al or Mg cones 4" or like that (or electrostat). Then it makes sense to hang them! The force of the coil movement is small compared to mass (and mass can be added). A driver without a frame acts as a dipole and that has it's own consequencies - good and bad . Some people make a board with 2-3 drivers and hang them in air, not so good for resonances.
AES Associate Member / My DIY speaker history: -74 Philips 3-way, -82 Hifi 85B, -07 Zaph L18, XLS10+PR/Hypex, -08 CSS125FR, -08 Hifitalo AW-7, -08 TangBand FR, -09 MarkK ER18DXT, -13 PPSL470, -13 AINOgradient
Old 12th June 2013, 01:57 PM   #20
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhazi View Post
floating/hanging
Remember when it was called 'flying' your speakers?

Hide this!Advertise here!