How to build simple, cheap, high WAF, full range speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
...to the ones who don’t know: WAF is for Wife Acceptance Factor.

The original idea is here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/159151-ikea-spherical-speakers-first-build-done.html

( thanks a lot Studio Au ), so I’m not talking about something new, but I think that a step by step building instruction could be useful.

The first picture shows what I’m talking about.

Ingredients ( fig. 2 ):
- 4 IKEA 28 cm ( 11 in. ) Blanda Matt Bowl
- 2 Tang Band W4-657SH full band speakers ( you can put others you like )
- 4 binding posts
- 6 drawer steel knobs
- damping material ( not mandatory )
- speaker wire

Next post: how to build

Ciao.
Luca

Attachments

• 1jvvhz.jpg
    1jvvhz.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 1,311
  • 2nk2gk5.jpg
    2nk2gk5.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 1,288
How to cut speaker hole

Just take a cup of the same diameter of your speakers and a bubble level: draw a circle with a pencil ( fig. 1 ).

To cut the bowl, I used a column drill ( quite cheap, as you can see … ) with a circular blade saw ( be careful to your fingers !!! ), then a file to enlarge the hole and a sander to smooth the support surface ( fig. 2 ).

How to put support feet

Put togheter the two halves using paper tape, then using another cup and a bubble level ( better use a second one connected to the big hole to keep it vertical ), draw a circle where the 3 feet will lie ( not too large, otherwise the halves will touch the ground, and not too narrow, or the balance of the speaker will be unstable )( fig. 3 ).

In order to trim the tilt of the speaker, I put some washers to regulate the length of the feet ( fig. 4 ).

Before taking out the tape, draw some crossing lines on “north pole” and “south pole” of the halves, to be sure to put them in the same place as now during glueing.

To be continued …

Attachments

• b7ktba.jpg
    b7ktba.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 1,263
  • 2uhpykx.jpg
    2uhpykx.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 1,247
  • amb3nm.jpg
    amb3nm.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 1,226
  • 10d9isx.jpg
    10d9isx.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 413
Binding posts, damping and wires

Damping material is kept in place by bi-adhesive strips and binding post washers ( fig. 1 and 2 ).

Then put the connectors and sold the cable ( fig. 3 ).

Glueing

If you’re going to paint the bowls, you can still make some test painting a small area in the inside. Why inside ? Because wood painting is not so easy and, unless you’re almost expert, the results are often mean. If this test doesn’t satisfy you, just keep the bowls in their original colour, as I did.

Put the glue on a bowl and, checking that the crossing lines you drew before are aligned, lay the second bowl, then put some weight and wait till next day ( fig. 4 and 5 ).

To be continued …
Ciao.
Luca

Attachments

• 5fp4zn.jpg
    5fp4zn.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 334
  • rlf7eq.jpg
    rlf7eq.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 324
  • jr8fpl.jpg
    jr8fpl.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 367
  • 25g6oet.jpg
    25g6oet.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 350
  • e5pbpu.jpg
    e5pbpu.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 360
Sealing up

Sealing up with silicone is necessary, in order to avoid air leaks. Put some paper tape on the sides of the junction, then the silicone ( fig. 1 ). Press it using a wooden spatula or a sheet of paper folded 4 times, then let it rest for a day. Then you can take away the paper tape.

Now the border of the hole is of rough wood: I painted it using matt transparent paint for decoupage ( fig. 2 ).

Screw holes

Put the speaker in place with paper tape, then mark the positions. Drill the holes, less than half of the width of the screws you’ll use ( fig. 3 ).

Now you can connect the wire to the speaker ( fig. 4 ) and screw this in its place ( fig. 5 ).

It’s done !
Ciao a tutti.
Luca

P.S.: thanks a lot to everyone for appreciating, or not ;-), and commenting.

P.P.S.: to improve the project, especially in high frequencies, you might use coaxial speakers, with their crossover filter outside the bowls ( or inside, if it fits ) and a bass reflex duct, for low frequencies, but please don’t ask me for calculation and position. Anyway I feel quite satisfied as such.

Attachments

• 2lw5fr.jpg
    2lw5fr.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 366
  • sllbx1.jpg
    sllbx1.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 332
  • es7nnn.jpg
    es7nnn.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 392
  • 2ccb2u.jpg
    2ccb2u.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 388
  • 2v10u0w.jpg
    2v10u0w.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 433
Thanks everybody for interesting, but please don't ask me questions that I cannot answer ( low, rolloff ... ) as I'm not an audiophile nor a technician.

As you can see, the speakers are not connected to a hihg-end system, anyway I can appreciate their smooth and not fatigating sound for hours.

Ciao a tutti.
Luca

Where is the low fq rolloff?
About 100Hz if I recall from yesterday.

Looking at Dickason 1997 "Speaker design handbook" p18 we've got Vbox just above Vas so alpha is just below one, so Qtc will be about 1.5 x Qts =1.5 x 0.32 - about 0.5. Quite overdamped. So F3 is going to be about 50% above Fr or 100 hz (F3 is 65Hz).

Any online calculator will do a more accurate job than me!:D

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.