Silencer Speaker Baffle - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th May 2013, 04:15 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Silencer Speaker Baffle

I was thinking of gun silencers and wondered if the same idea could be used for speakers to reduce the rear sound. Probably a silly idea but would like to get your thoughts and ideas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speaker-silencer-side.jpg (26.2 KB, 523 views)
File Type: jpg speaker-silencer.jpg (20.6 KB, 712 views)
File Type: jpg speaker-.jpg (22.7 KB, 511 views)
Old 28th May 2013, 05:00 PM   #2
49 - for the 18th time - again!
diyAudio Member

Hi speakermagic! I love to see people think "out of the box" and come up with new concepts and ideas.

Are you aware of aperiodic speaker enclosure designs? There is a lot of good things to study there. I must confess that I am a bit biased tho because I use an aperiodic design in my speakers.... which are (gasp) omni directional. So - I am really familiar with people throwing things like rotten veggies at me....

aperiodic loudspeaker enclosure design - Google Search
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mamboni felt disk 3.jpg (194.0 KB, 505 views)
File Type: jpg 2 Mambonied Pioneers 1 Heil and a bunch of SonoTube small px.jpg (94.5 KB, 493 views)
File Type: jpg Walsh5 Remake Dec 2010.jpg (297.3 KB, 164 views)
Old 28th May 2013, 05:23 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Actually a cabinet like that exists. It is the Hartley Boffle.
ACTIVE LOUDSPEAKER SYSTEM: Subwoofer, Construction, Cabinets, Electronic Filter/Tube Crossover, Amplifiers, Units.
Old 28th May 2013, 08:20 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

There are a variety of lining materials that are effective at mitigating the back wave.

Doesn't need to be aperiodic to do the job.
Old 28th May 2013, 11:01 PM   #5
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Neat idea. I think what you have drawn may actually act more like a series of resonant Helmholtz resonators rather than a gun silencer (which acts more like a muffler for high velocity gases by reducing the differential in the gun's escaping gases by storing the expansion and releasing them sequentially, thereby reducing the sudden gas expansion that accompanies a gun shot's gases. Note that a bullet traveling at supersonic speeds still makes its own sonic boom - so silencers are truly only effective for special sub-sonic cartridges used in movies. In real life - not effective at all with conventioal supersonic ammo.

Anyhow, the tapered spiral (semi-infinite tube) like the B&W Nautilus also aims to achieve this.
Old 28th May 2013, 11:16 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
Yes, silencers are effective with super-sonic ammunition. A silencer for, say a .308 sniper rifle is similar in size & shape to an automotive "glasspack" muffler ( One can easily build one with said muffler).
A rifle sound is composed of two elements, the muzzle blast and the "report" of the projectile breaking the sound barrier. The muzzle blast is far louder & can be muffled, the "crack" sound is the projectile. Fortunately the crack sound eminates along the flight path making it difficult to localize, the muzzle blast can be localized.....both are heard well after the projectile finds its mark.

-----------------------------------------------------------Rick..........
Old 29th May 2013, 09:15 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

As allready mentioned, H. A. Hartley's Boffle:
Attached Files
File Type: zip diy_Boffle.zip (328.6 KB, 97 views)
Old 29th May 2013, 12:05 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the article on the Hartley Boffle. It was interesting.
Old 31st May 2013, 07:32 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Another thanks for an interesting read. Has anyone here played around with this design?
Old 2nd June 2013, 11:24 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks again

Hi Joachim,

Thanks for the link to Hartley.
I love the simplicity of the early audio pioneer's R&D, very focused on sound quality and common sense as well as a solid grounding in the physics and maths.

Today there is such a huge choice of low cost computer / software and sophisticated measurement equipment that some folks get lost in the world of measuring .... Because they can!
They get fixated on a particular technical aspect they can measure to the N'th degree and this eventually leads to the point where their oscilliscope & screens become more important than their ears...

Thanks again for this and all your very valuable contributions, I know I have learned a lot from your good self!

Cheers
Derek.

Hide this!Advertise here!