Alpair7/Scanspeak 18WU/8741 Fast - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th May 2013, 10:54 AM   #1
markre is offline markre  Finland
diyAudio Member

Default Alpair7/Scanspeak 18WU/8741 Fast

Some time ago I built my first speakers based on alpair 7 and modified pensils. They sounded very good but after a while a started to want a little improvement in the bas region and it also seemed that it missed a lot of detail when there was music with more bas. However there was a lot that I liked with the alpairs so I decided to give them a little help with some woofers.

With the kind help by Dave Dlugos we decided on scanspeak 18WU/8741-T00 in a push-push configuration and a 46L vented enclosure with the alpair in a aperiodic transmission-line about 5-6L.
I built it from inside out. After constructing the t-l for the alpair I made the bracing and a frame. Over that I laminated two layers of 4mm birch-plywood (vhv), after that a 8mm board used to damp floors, after that plywood (hvh) and last mdf. It turned out to be a very stiff construction without any vibrations even when playing very loud.

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

One technical challenge was how to fix the elements to each other to get the most of the push-push configuration. Obviously it has to be done when the elements are in place and a hole would not be a satisfying solution. I decided to do aluminum pieces that I could attach to the elements and that would click into each other. It turned out to work very well.

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

A big thank to Dave for all his valuable help,
Markus
Old 17th May 2013, 11:37 AM   #2
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Nice build.

Bi-amped?
Old 17th May 2013, 11:39 AM   #3
Squeak is offline Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Wow that is one hell of a speaker! Obviously a LOT of work and thought went into this.
I hope it sounds accordingly.
Where is the crossover point?
Old 17th May 2013, 12:03 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Cross-over point 213 Hz/second order (happened to fit with the values). In the future I may bi-amp it.
Well my goal was that a symphony orchestra should sound like a symphony orchestra and a funk band like funk band without giving up details. I must confess that I’m satisfied. The alpairs also seems a bit happier without struggling with the bas.
Old 17th May 2013, 03:12 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Very nice build. The curves are incredible. 200hz seems like a good spot. Where is the box tuned to?

Edit - is that a passive or active cross over?
Old 17th May 2013, 06:51 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Good to see these go public. Excellent work Markus

dave
Old 17th May 2013, 08:10 PM   #7
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
Very nice build. The curves are incredible. 200hz seems like a good spot. Where is the box tuned to?

Edit - is that a passive or active cross over?

"in the future I may bi-amp it" sounds to me like currently passive XO
Markus - gorgeous freaking work on the machining of interlocking aluminum coupling parts - glued to drivers' magnets , I guess?
Old 17th May 2013, 08:42 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

What a great job you did buildign these boxes with the dirvers you used. Dave is a super guy. Glade he could help out it shows and again good Job enjoy. N.S.
Old 17th May 2013, 08:45 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Markus - gorgeous freaking work on the machining of interlocking aluminum coupling parts - glued to drivers' magnets , I guess?
Very creative, but far too complicated for me personally, I would have used a simple bolted flange. Very impressive build nonetheless.

jeff
Old 18th May 2013, 05:20 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

The scanspeaks has the magnet attached to the frame by screws. I just extended them to go through the aluminum parts. I would not trust glue in the long run. There was some work with the aluminum parts, guess 3d-printing would be the easy way out.

If I understand Dave’s calculations right the box is tuned to 41Hz.

Hide this!Advertise here!