Enclosure suggestion for super 8 rs/dd please... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th May 2013, 02:49 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Enclosure suggestion for super 8 rs/dd please...

Hello everyone,

I want to build a pair of speakers for music listening with the wharfadale super 8 RS/DD. They are in very good condition. Can someone suggest what enclosure best suited for this driver? I try searching on the net but got very few information on it. I mostly listened to jazz and classical.
What is interesting about this driver is that it classified as a wide range which most likely I would need a matching tweeters in order to make this work which I would need your help as well. It's rated at 10-15 ohms again another problem with amplification, any suggestions???
According to other source that I have found on the net is that above around 5khz things started to going crazy. Dispite the fact of high QTS value of 0.63, most people would prefer to be used as open baffle with a larger woofer for the low end. I did a preliminary test on a 25"x25" board to see how it sound and it didn't produce very much low end, probably a larger baffle would improve thing. Vocal and instruments sound pretty good but the whizzer cone sounded very distracted at a distance of about 2m on axis, this definitely suggest some sort of EQing or filtering network. But too big of a panel for open baffle would take too much space in my small room (12ft x 10ft). I would prefer the speaker's to be place in the corner distance at about 10ft apart on a stand.
Any comments or enclosure ideas would be very much appreciated.
Thks in advance.
Old 8th May 2013, 03:04 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

whizzerectomy ?!?
Old 8th May 2013, 03:25 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Picowallspeakers
Yeah... The whizzer cone remedy method, did try that on some other drivers. It work!!!
Old 8th May 2013, 03:34 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

well, maybe the driver is useless, despite of what the net says. I don' care about the numbers but cone diameter and excursion: and a 8 '' has got to make a lot of bass.
It could be a 60 dB bass...but who cares ?
After whizzerectomy, an inverted dustcap would make the driver look very stylish !

Ps. just saw the photo on the net ; the magnet is huge !! And it has an inverted surround...nice.

Last edited by picowallspeaker; 8th May 2013 at 03:38 AM.
Old 8th May 2013, 03:37 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Just pick up an idea from other post about the Rondo clone out of foam core sheet...
Would this work for this drivers? Instead of floor stand, how bout smaller on stand mount with the top open...
Old 8th May 2013, 03:46 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Well I still think this driver could sound pretty sweet if it is implemented right. I could knock off a 1 cubic feet enclosure with slot on the back and see how the bass response is...
Old 8th May 2013, 03:47 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

You don't want the back wave to produce interference with the frontal emission.
It's better to 'leave it behind' or...let it live, but far away !
About the foam core...
well...
it's in contrast with the basic principle of speaker boxes ...
Old 8th May 2013, 06:21 AM   #8
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

It looks like Troels has already worked out a good way to get the most out these drivers and I’m not into stand mounting, instead preferring tower [aka MLTL] designs to get the drivers up to ~ear height, so using his specs: Wharfedale Super 8

H = 56”
S0, SL = 144.25”
Zdriver = 19.55”
Zport = 44.8”
port = 5” diameter or 19.64”^2 cutout x 0.75” [baffle thickness]

All dimensions are inside [i.d.] and approximate and sim only has just enough damping to keep them from sounding hollow, so as always it’s up to the individual to experiment with damping and maybe port tuning to get the most satisfying response in room.

Class A or at least very low nfb amps is desirable, but I don’t keep up with what’s available these days, so no clue what a modern day version of a period correct one that was used to ‘voice’ this driver is.

GM
Attached Images
File Type: gif Wharfdale Super 8 RS_DD 40 Hz MLTL.gif (6.7 KB, 190 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Box_App_Notes.pdf (7.5 KB, 15 views)
Old 8th May 2013, 10:57 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi GM
Thanks for taken the time on this, but the box suggested dimensions is just too big for my room. (H:56", S0 & SL:144.25") ? Could you suggest something smaller ?

Another thing I would like to mention also is the driver's half roll surround, the cloth like material is so thin that I could see right through it which probably could be used in a sealed type of cabinet and used the driver's air transparent surround as an apperiodic mean. Wouldn't that be interesting? Anyone with any thought on this sort of contraption?
Old 8th May 2013, 12:59 PM   #10
waam68 is offline waam68  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You could try a clone of Gilbert Briggs "column 8" design as here:

Identifying these Wharfedales - UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

or perhaps go old school & have a look in his Cabinet Handbook?

Hide this!Advertise here!