Bose bashing...literally! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th May 2013, 10:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Bose bashing...literally!

About two years ago, I bought two pair of Bose 901 II ($600). This was (to me) a good deal. Acoustically the speakers had no issues. The auction included a working EQ unit. The only oddity is that I got three L and one R speaker. So today, finally tired of listening to one "upside down" speaker (for symmetry) I took a hammer to the oddball and have determined that you can't (easily) remove the bottom or top of these speakers. I am now the proud owner of a pile of wood chips and 9 spare drivers

I will post a photo if the audience demands.
Old 7th May 2013, 01:49 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

What's inside?
Old 7th May 2013, 02:01 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Nothing remarkable: particle board top & bottom. I removed the trim pieces for spares, and the drivers for same. The Bose of that era used solid core wire-wrapped connections. Stuffing is dense standard puke-yellow fiber glass from the look (and itch) of it.
Old 7th May 2013, 03:32 AM   #4
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Are they all the same? Different series had different drivers, different wiring, different EQ's and none of them are interchangeable, so I hope they are all the same series.
Old 7th May 2013, 04:54 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
Are they all the same? Different series had different drivers, different wiring, different EQ's and none of them are interchangeable, so I hope they are all the same series.
Some Bose speakers have the left and right speakers configured differently. They are unlike other speakers. 901s and 301s are direct-reflecting configurations. Love them or hate them, they sound best when positioned properly. Stick them on a shelf or haphazardly against the wall or between two pieces of furniture, and they will sound absolutely awful. And since Bose markets to morons, you will be hard pressed to find a set that is placed properly in the room.

It was a mistake to trash your 901, because they are well known and there is a market for them. You could easily sell a pair in good working condition for a decent buck.
Old 7th May 2013, 06:37 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

@ Soldermizer Pls do post your Bose photos

Once I had the opportunity to listen to Bose (Acoustic Mass series). Sting's "Every breath you take" was playing, the sound was so horrible that I had to ask if the source was a cassette tape. No points for guessing, the source was CD
Concl. Buy Other Sound Equipment
Better Sound Through Better Marketing
Must read-
http://www.alter.si/tabla/files/1197...5B1%5D.www.pdf

Last edited by availlyrics; 7th May 2013 at 06:48 AM.
Old 7th May 2013, 06:45 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie D View Post
...Some Bose speakers have the left and right speakers configured differently...
If that's true(can't confirm as no specs. are published by Bose) then doesn't it upsets the symmetry of stereo imaging?

Last edited by availlyrics; 7th May 2013 at 06:50 AM.
Old 7th May 2013, 07:24 AM   #8
troystg is offline troystg  United States
diyAudio Member

Buy Bose stock not speakers.....
Old 7th May 2013, 07:37 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Back in the day, I had a friend with a pair of 901s (on those skinny stands) powered by a Luxman amplifier. Truth be told, it sounded pretty darned good. And boy would it rock...
Old 7th May 2013, 08:15 AM   #10
troystg is offline troystg  United States
diyAudio Member

I have a friend who still has his 901's with skinny / shiny stands.. They are in storage in his basement. His B&W's are in use.

In high school (right after electricity was discovered) I had a friend that DJ'ed with 901's. Turned around so the single driver faced the DJ they were perfect for the crowd and reduced levels for the DJ to hear. Also heard many of them hung in bars. Those were the only applications they excelled in.

I bought four of the 601's.. Had them a day and returned them for a pair of CV pd-9's. Rattled everything in the house.. It was after the Vegas I discovered (and fell in love with) B&W. My 805's put many a Bose to shame. I actually had a custom carry bag made to bring them around to Bose owners homes when they didn't believe me. I probably sold more B&W's as an enthusiast than the stores and their salesmen. Now I built my own active speakers using my old B&W mids...

Hide this!Advertise here!