Bose bashing...literally! - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th May 2013, 01:00 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Well, I agree that the battered cabinet of my ill-fated Series II is trash. More to the point, yes, in the series I and II were Left and Right paired, not symmetrical, but the single front driver is deliberately off set in different heights. Probably makes little difference. It is notable that (as far as I know), in series III through VI the speakers are identical. Also, you can't buy Bose stock (it is a privately held company, or was...) Love them or hate them, Bose 901 are durable and cheap on Ebay.

BTW, even I dare not sell my sawdust pile on Ebay

Here is a snippet of the "three different drivers" cite: " But what about that 200Hz resonance? Dr. Bose contends that, if you use for the nine speakers ones whose resonances all occur at slightly different frequencies, the resonance of any one becomes "inaudible." We are not convinced of this, for a resonance causes a transducer to continue vibrating for a time after the signal that started it going. has ceased, and adding more resonances can only cause the system to "hang over" at more different frequencies. Thus, we do not feel it was purely coincidental that the 901 we tested seemed to have a tend toward upper-bass heaviness in the four rooms we set it up in."

http://www.stereophile.com/content/b...speaker-page-4

Last edited by Soldermizer; 8th May 2013 at 01:07 AM.
Old 8th May 2013, 01:35 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by availlyrics View Post
If that's true(can't confirm as no specs. are published by Bose) then doesn't it upsets the symmetry of stereo imaging?
I can confirm it because I have a pair of 301s in my auto shop. They are mirror images of each other.

They have to be set up just so to work properly. Mine are set up just like they were set up at the store display. They're hung from the ceiling, equidistant from the ceiling and the two walls. They provide a fake ambiance that is actually quite balanced. They provide "stereo everywhere" just like the marketing claims. Is it accurate? No. They provide a balanced and pleasing sound.

You will be hard pressed to find a set that is situated properly outside of a commercial display. They are quite impractical for domestic applications, especially considering the average Bose consumer mentality. People hear them and ask me why mine sound so much better than theirs. Well there's a lot of reasons (like custom hard wired equalisation I designed for them and the fact that they are driven by a Nakamichi Stasis amplifier), but the primary reason is because of the way I situated them.

When you go to the store, they sound fantastic. When you get them home, not so much. They require extraordinary effort to get them to sound decent.

I got them for $100 brand new in the box from the Bose outlet in Gurnee, Il because they were a six year old model, to answer your next question.
Old 8th May 2013, 02:02 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofaspud View Post
Back in the day, I had a friend with a pair of 901s (on those skinny stands) powered by a Luxman amplifier. Truth be told, it sounded pretty darned good. And boy would it rock...
The 901s, with all their warts, are quite dynamic and powerful. When set up properly, the fake ambiance they provide can sound great with rock music.

Purists hate them with good reason. Acoustic music sounds jumbled and just fake.

Everybody's perception is very subjective, no matter how smart they think they are. I have set up home stereo systems with a graphic equaliser and a microphone for super flat response. Not a single person I did this for liked the way it sounded.

The absolute worst Bose product is their "acoustimass" system. I could rant about them but I won't. But this very popular system is truly awful in almost every way.
Old 8th May 2013, 05:08 AM   #24
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Dodecahedron Speaker from salvaged Bose 901 drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldermizer View Post
Finally I did feel a little bad trashing the cabinets. But, it's an experiment (that failed!) and I am salvaging the parts.
If you want to bash some more cabinets you can build a sound sphere as a 12 sided dodecahedron speaker with 12 drivers. It has been done and a nice study with simulations is available here:
http://www.wvier.de/texte/aes102.pdf

Replacement 1 ohm 901-like drivers are also available from PE. Replacement Speaker Driver for Bose 901 4-1/2" 1 Ohm 290-922
They are actually pretty decent drivers: 92 dB, fs of 83 Hz, Qts of 0.36 and go up to 15 kHz.

Here are photos of not Bose drivers, but you get the idea of what they look like...

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by xrk971; 8th May 2013 at 05:10 AM.
Old 8th May 2013, 03:54 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Parts Express, however, lists their Xmax as 0mm in their catalog.
Old 8th May 2013, 04:18 PM   #26
JoeDJ is online now JoeDJ  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes the 901s are legendary.
An interesting fact is when Justin Hayes and John Lodge (of "Moody Blues" fame) debuted their "Blue Jays" album at NY City's Avery Fisher hall, (for music critics and other invited guests) they just used a single pair of 901s on the stage. It reportedly sounded fantastic ..

However the room and placement of these speakers is critical as 90% of the sound is emitted from the back of the speakers . They need to be placed a certain distance from a wall and away from corners. So, many people were not able to take full advantage of them and opted for other high end more placement friendly speakers of the day such as the "JBL L100" or Advent etc.

But, if one could now get a pair that are in good condition or worth repairing and have the right placement area for them, they are still great.
As stated, "Parts Express" in the US has direct replacement speakers for the 901s as they are still great by today's standard.

Last edited by JoeDJ; 8th May 2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 8th May 2013, 06:37 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Any of them could sound great, for those of us who have fallen under the Bose spell. I have owned both major series, and I say the "original" (I, II) are better than the ported. Cheaper too. Real wood (albeit sawdust) cabinets, hardly any plastic to be seen. Of course with the ported ones you can blow out a candle at the rear, if you crank it up. If I put a candle at my rear, i can make a blue flame too
Old 9th May 2013, 02:27 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badman View Post
And bose is trash, nevertheless.
I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to disagree here.

Go out and listen to one of their Soundlink portable speakers.

I was very very impressed with how much sound they got out of such a tiny little box. The bass went lower than it ought to, it went fairly loud, decent battery life, with features and finish that a DIYer could only dream of.

For what it is, and yes, even at that price, it is very very good.

Some of Bose's stuff has been terrible, I'll agree. But they've done some decent stuff too.

Chris
Old 9th May 2013, 02:45 PM   #29
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Chris,

Take a Bose product, any Bose product, apart. It might change your mind about quality. Maybe that's what badman was referring to. Be forewarned, your jaw may drop.
Old 9th May 2013, 03:11 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

How about Bose 901 upgrades? I can see one where the individual drivers are given their own back volumes and crossed over to a downfiring woofer that exits through the stand to a gap at the bottom at the floor for dispersion. Smaller replacement drivers could be used since they wouldn't have to pretend to go down to 30 hz and could be allowed a little Xmax, too.

And there is plenty of room to add real tweeters between the mid drivers, too.

The result would be a speaker that doesn't need an amplifier power destroying eq box and does everything better than the original 901, response wise and without the 'no highs no lows, it's a Bose' syndrome.

Last edited by thoriated; 9th May 2013 at 03:16 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!