Decware DNA Horn

Bob,
I use Holmimpulse for measurements. It is free, works great and easy to use. It even has a wm61a calibration file to normalize the Panasonic mic. You can do search for "wm61a measurement" and they show how to connect the mic capsule to a 3.5 mm jack so you can plug into the sound card mic input of your PC.

Ah, right!

I have a Dayton EMM-6. I downloaded REW and HolmImpulse. I spent all of 15min with them. REW ran out of the box. Holm didn't. I did not have the time to play with it. I may get back to it next week.

As I said, I cannot use either commercially. Just for my own amusement.

Bob

Another test done.:)

The DNAs and the ACAs do indeed make a nice combination. I've been using the Honey Badger amps for all the auditions so far, but the Amp Camp modules hold their own for a low cost easily built complete system. There is a little less body again at the low end but all the notes are there. Just for a simple approximate comparison - I have a $125 Sony Boom Box (W/Turbo Bass Boost ;)), and this combo sounds better. That's great for a $30 pair of amps and as X says - a $16 speaker that does 30 Hz. Of course the BB doesn't get anywhere close to the width of stage and voice/instruments placement produced by the DNA pair. A direct feed from the Walkman sounds great, but the DNAs can make good use of a lot more power than that.

The timbre of this combination is a bit lacking but that, IMO, can be tweaked in with some crossover work and/or a different tweeter. I think the bass response can get better once I move the Cornus and the Sunflowers out and get the DNAs closer to the corners of the room. I'ts pretty cluttered on that wall. I'll report back on that later. I believe the Cornus offer a little more flexibility of location, but that shouldn't stop one from building and trying a pair of these.

I'll add that the exceptional horn effect like the 30 Hz stuff reported earlier doesn't translate directly when the more complex wave forms in music are played. I think that is to be expected considering the small magnet/motor on these drivers. The Vifas most likely have a better grip on the cone movements.

Just happens I read a statement on the Bob Brines site today describing the listener's approach that fits well here..... paraphrasing: - excellent results can come from realistic and moderate expectations of the equipment being used.

From what I'm hearing, this combo matches that sentiment.

BTW: I'm familiar with the concept but not very knowledgeable in application - does anyone think there is merit to distance/offset calculations for tweeter placement for this build?

Attachments

• 20130522_190029.jpg
    20130522_190029.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 501
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Bob,
Thanks for the update with the ACA's. I can't wait to build those ACA's as soon as I find some time. I need a sensitive speaker though with only 5 watts max. Thinking of something like the FE126EN for high sensitivity in a BLH or the Betsy in a MLTL.
If you want, I can sim the tweeter placement for you in AkAbak - just need the T/S params and cross-over specifics and connections - AkAbak does it all - the electrical as well as the acoustic portions, in addition to placement and diffraction effects.

I posted somewhere but don't have the link handy. I'll take the risk of hijacking the thread and repost till I find it. There was some text but here are the pics. Two xeon heatsinks per amp.

Attachments

• DSC00852.JPG
    DSC00852.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 729
  • DSC00853.JPG
    DSC00853.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 710
  • DSC00854.JPG
    DSC00854.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 656
  • DSC00855.JPG
    DSC00855.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 639
  • DSC00856.JPG
    DSC00856.JPG
    238.7 KB · Views: 637
  • DSC00857.JPG
    DSC00857.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
Thanks all for the complements. Yes, PC stuff - I got bunches of them while building a render farm with a some dual processor surplus motherboards.. They came from eBay about four years ago. There are still some good units there at a bargain.

I salvaged four 8' links of 3" X 3" X 1/4 structural aluminum from my former employer. I'm gonna be lost when I run out. !!!

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
That's a nice score of aluminum angle stock. Metalsdepot.com sells 8 ft of 3x3x0.25 angles for $91 ea. Another option for amp structures with lots of surface area for heat transfer are Bosch rails.
Aluminum Structural Framing - Aluminum Structural Framing - aluminum, custom worktable, ergonomic workstation, extrusion, framing, framing components, industrial framing, lean manufacturing, modular construction, profiles, structural framing, t-slot

They build clean room workstations and Porsche assembly lines with this stuff.

They actually are not that expensive compared to plain channels and let you connect things with T-slots. They come in many profiles. http://www13.boschrexroth-us.com/catalogs/mge70/sections/section2.pdf

Maybe a 4 in long free eval-sample will be a great heat sink?

OK, we will get back to our regular programming now of the DNA horn. Actually the angles can make good out rigger legs... so it is related :)

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2009
How would the FE167e fit into the DNA horn? Horn length seems to be about right and also the coupling chamber / bass reflex chamber (it is a hybrid after all) is right for the FE167e . It certainly is more reasonably sized than the Replikon (narrow the FP163 from 30 to 20 cm and you are almost spot on) and I do like the rear horn opening.

Thanks.