Decware DNA Horn - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th May 2013, 04:47 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

I have the plans for this speaker and there aren't any suggestions of lining/stuffing the horn path. I suspect like other horns, the chamber behind the driver can get some stuffing and the inside of the folds can be lined with felt. I would like to hear from someone who built this so I think I'll check out Steve's site and look at the support forum.
Old 6th May 2013, 04:48 AM   #12
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Exactly $6/ea with shipping - still pretty good for this driver. I think it will take about 4 sheets of foam core per speaker. This will be a real value at $10 for the whole speaker that can reach 30 Hz. I look forward to seeing your build Bob.

I don't think there is any damping along the actual horn path, just in the driver chamber. The internal horn paths can sometimes be made out of acoustic ceiling tile to provide self-damping. Steve makes his speaker prototypes out of drywall.

Last edited by xrk971; 6th May 2013 at 04:51 AM.
Old 6th May 2013, 06:07 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Clever idea using the ceiling tiles.

mike
Old 6th May 2013, 06:21 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

The tiles are used by Horst Moeller (hm) in his horns. I got the idea for using them as baffles for the Cornu when I noticed the ceiling tiles were exactly 24 in square - a perfect size for the Cornu in a 4 in driver.
Old 6th May 2013, 11:56 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithintruth View Post
I have the plans for this speaker and there aren't any suggestions of lining/stuffing the horn path. I suspect like other horns, the chamber behind the driver can get some stuffing and the inside of the folds can be lined with felt. I would like to hear from someone who built this so I think I'll check out Steve's site and look at the support forum.
Can you tell us what the plans say for the dia of the throat hole is? 2 inches?
Thanks

Last edited by xrk971; 6th May 2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 6th May 2013, 01:48 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default Dual Driver DNA?

Due to the low cost of the Aurasound NS525 drivers, and the extra free real estate on the front baffle, I asked myself what happens if you put two of these drivers on the DNA? Well, it turns out that to optimize the response, more driver chamber volume is required. One way to do this is to build an internal false wall separating the usual 7 in wide standard chamber to an external chamber occupying the entire 27 in x 12.5 in side x 0.75 in deep on each side. Add a BSC of 1.8 mH and 4 ohms with the drivers now wired in parallel. Also, the throat area has to be doubled. This design provides some additional bass extension down to 27 Hz and a more full bass response as shown in the response curve calculated below. Not sure if this is worth it considering the added complexity of the driver volume extension now required.
Attached Images
File Type: png DNA-BLH-Dual-NS525-3m-4watt.png (25.3 KB, 410 views)
Old 6th May 2013, 02:11 PM   #17
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

Dual drivers was in the back of my mind when I placed my order. Didn't have a clue if that was a valid idea so I'm happy you investigated the possibility. 3 points may or may not be worth the extra work, but the small size of the magnet certainly would not overload the FC structure - I think.
Old 6th May 2013, 02:45 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Bob,
I did it out of curiosity and in my thinking the extra work is probably not worth it. You will get improved efficiency though so if that is the goal then it may be worth it. It is like having a 92 dB driver for $7.20 - a real deal for sure.
Old 6th May 2013, 03:30 PM   #19
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

Been thinking of adding these tweets as I have some on hand. Also looking at another ApexJr deal.

Any ideas on simple XO?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tweeter8ohmTN.jpg (76.4 KB, 395 views)
File Type: gif PolycarbtweeterTN.gif (4.1 KB, 387 views)
Old 6th May 2013, 04:07 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Bob,
I think a simple 2 uF cap in series with the tweeter should do the trick to high pass at 10 kHz. Wire the tweeter parallel with the NS525, essentially presenting a 4 ohm load to the amp. The tweeter is still an 8 ohm load with respect to the high-pass filter. Here is a table for selection of cap values: Car Audio - Speaker Crossover Chart and Capacitance vs. Frequency Calculator(High-pass)
Unfortunately, a 2 uF polypropylene film cap costs more than the $0.89 tweeter!
It should help balance this driver out though. Good luck.

Let's see how the BOM is looking for this build:
1. NS525 $3.60 ea
2. Bargain tweeter $1
3. 2 uF cap $1.50 http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=027-414
4. 4 sheets of FC $4

About $10 and change not including shipping.

Last edited by xrk971; 6th May 2013 at 04:10 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!